Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:01 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
When Mom & Dad had their 50th wedding anniversary, they invited family, relatives, and close friends to a restaurant. I planned out their party like a Wedding invitation. First, I dug out their wedding photos in black & white printed them out and included in the invitation. Made out the invitation like a wedding invitation card. At the table, everyone gets a bookmark as souvenir to take home that says

50 years of life together
50 years of love, tears & laughters
50 years of happiness

But no gift needed from the guests. They're just happy that you can come and celebrate this happy event with them.
What a nice idea and this was lovely that you did this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 12:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 934,240 times
Oh shucks, Bette, I thought from the thread title that you were throwing a fiftieth anniversary party and announcing it here to invite everyone on the retirement thread. What a party we would have! I even thought of a party game. Everyone would keep mum on their citydata handles, but we’d all mingle and talk for an hour, and then vote on who was whom.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
How interesting to read this post. My wife and I celebrate our 49th next week, and I have been thinking about the 50th in 2024, and whether to do something really special. I agree that we would not really need anything in the way of "stuff" for a gift. Being married that long, raising kids, and having grandkids, with all of the birthdays, Christmases and Mother's/Father's days, we have everything we need and more. More beneficial would be consumables or activities such as restaurant gift cards, or tickets to an event. If you know the people well you can determine what their interests are, for me a gift card to Summit Racing or Cabella's is great, but it's for the happy couple, and my wife is not as much into classic cars or fishing. Restaurants are something both can enjoy together, same for a concert (not Taylor Swift!) or in our case we both love gardening, so a gift card to a good local nursery would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:10 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm posting this here since some may have attended one or two or have had their own.

We've been invited to the party of a nice couple we know through business dealings. They are a client of mine and I've met them a few times. I've been to lunch with the wife of the couple.

They are hosting their own party at a lovely hotel. Evening attire, dinner, dancing, the works.

I have never been to a 50th wedding anniversary. I think he is 72, she is near his age. He still works. Healthy, active. He likes old cars.

What to bring as a gift?

PS - If you've made it to 50 years as a couple, congratulations!
When we threw my parents a 50th anniversary party we stated that the gift of their (the guests) presence was all that was being requested. If the invitation you received didn't say anything like that, I'd gift them a nice bottle of wine and be done with it.

A couple in their 70s who can afford such a party are likely not expecting much more than that.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:43 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
If you give them liquor, I assume you know with certainty that they do drink. Not everybody does.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:01 AM

2,340 posts, read 612,369 times
I will be 80 the year of our 50th anniversary DH will be 84. Hopefully we will still be alive and kicking then LOL. Next year is our 30th anniversary we are going to either Hawaii (Not Maui) of course, or Europe.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:10 AM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I will be 80 the year of our 50th anniversary DH will be 84. Hopefully we will still be alive and kicking then LOL. Next year is our 30th anniversary we are going to either Hawaii (Not Maui) of course, or Europe.
Hawaii airline is offering a $84/each way ticket (to Maui), as they desperately need tourists.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:48 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm posting this here since some may have attended one or two or have had their own.

We've been invited to the party of a nice couple we know through business dealings. They are a client of mine and I've met them a few times. I've been to lunch with the wife of the couple.

They are hosting their own party at a lovely hotel. Evening attire, dinner, dancing, the works.

I have never been to a 50th wedding anniversary. I think he is 72, she is near his age. He still works. Healthy, active. He likes old cars.

What to bring as a gift?

PS - If you've made it to 50 years as a couple, congratulations!
A small gold bar? The smallest start around $100. I have also never been to a 50th anniversary party, but have been to parties where I was expected to give a classy gift but had no idea what people could use, and a small bit of gold is what I gave them. They seemed happy.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:45 PM

Smile What a great idea though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Oh shucks, Bette, I thought from the thread title that you were throwing a fiftieth anniversary party and announcing it here to invite everyone on the retirement thread. What a party we would have! I even thought of a party game. Everyone would keep mum on their citydata handles, but we’d all mingle and talk for an hour, and then vote on who was whom.
I got married in 1983. So close to 40. Boy, that sounds like a lot of years!!
Flew by.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:49 PM

Default See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
When we threw my parents a 50th anniversary party we stated that the gift of their (the guests) presence was all that was being requested. If the invitation you received didn't say anything like that, I'd gift them a nice bottle of wine and be done with it.

A couple in their 70s who can afford such a party are likely not expecting much more than that.
Not sure on that. I did their mortgages so I know that side.

I'm glad to know they like this resort; we do as well.

I looked at the invitation which is very simple but does not say "no gifts" - I wish I knew more about what she would like. I know he likes cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement