Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 11:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's "ghouly" (ghoulish) to discuss death - our own or others' - frankly and honestly? One can say, "Thoughts and prayers!" only so many times before becoming trite and repetitive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't think it's "ghouly" (ghoulish) to discuss death - our own or others' - frankly and honestly? One can say, "Thoughts and prayers!" only so many times before becoming trite and repetitive...
Probably not.....just asking, however, in this thread, which are we celebrating, Mr. Buffett or cancer by giving it all the attention.

Funny, isn't it? For a man I didn't know much of, here I am going to bat for him saying to celebrate his life.....and not what killed him.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:24 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why do people these days always "battle" something rather than just have it or die of it?

But I guess that's another question for another day!

R.I.P., Jimmy.
I get so tired of the "battling" use. Especially when it's something you have no control over, like Alzheimer's. How about "living with".

Old 09-05-2023, 11:52 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I get so tired of the "battling" use. Especially when it's something you have no control over, like Alzheimer's. How about "living with".
Same here. After a brave battle with <insert terminal illness>. It's so trite and overused.

I remember reading this from The Onion years ago. Jimmy Buffett probably would have laughed, too.

https://www.theonion.com/loved-ones-...nce-1819565052

Quote:
On Feb. 20, less than a month after he was first diagnosed, Kunkel died following a brief, cowardly battle with stomach cancer.

"Most people, when they find out they've got something terrible like this, dig deep down inside and tap into some tremendous well of courage and strength they never knew they had," said Judith Kunkel, Russ' wife of 11 years. "Not Russ. The moment he found out he had cancer, he curled up into a fetal ball and sobbed uncontrollably for three straight weeks."

Said Judith: "I can still remember Russ' last words: 'Oh, God—I'm going to die! Why, God, why? Why me? Why not someone else?'"

Old 09-05-2023, 02:22 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
MY!

How ghouly we got remembering the Man, not for what he did but by what killed him.

Sorry for your loss.

Never really knew the man myself but aside from what killed him, sounds like he went in a good way. "he was "surrounded by his family, friends, music, and dogs", at the time of his death.".
Well, we seniors in this forum are kind of interested in illness and death. Kind of the same way high school seniors are interested in what happens in college. Self-explanatory, I guess...

Old 09-05-2023, 02:39 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Depends upon the cancer. I would have a skin cancer cut out, obviously. Some leukemias and lymphomas have a very high cure rate, so I'd possibly pursue some treatment for those, as long as the drugs aren't too expensive. With solid tumors, I'd take only the palliative treatment to diminish suffering (eg, stent the bronchus if the tumor is suffocating me, or get colostomy if it's blocking the bowels (yuck, but an obstructed bowel hurts unbelievably), or debulk the tumor and close the skin over it if it's breaking out in a big painful disgusting sore, the way a neglected breast ca can do).
My Dad had that done in August 1971. They told us they "got it all" but they knew it was palliative. He had another "unblock" operation on December 13, 1972, about three weeks and change before he died. My cousin, who was a doctor, explained the reasoning to me.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, we seniors in this forum are kind of interested in illness and death. Kind of the same way high school seniors are interested in what happens in college. Self-explanatory, I guess...
Me, too, and probably in more ways than others for I've done death investigations, studied the mechanisms of death.

NEVERTHELESS, when someone dies, I am respectful and don't ask how, but just take it that they have. If I am to have that information, it will be provided to me. Here, of course, it was.....but I don't get into it unless it is necessary.

As said, I take it we are here to celebrate Mr. Buffett's life, not what took it from him.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Jimmy Buffet won't mind; he's at that big beach in the sky now... I don't believe it's "disrespectful" to have a normal degree of curiosity about life, death, and the world around you; I personally think it's fake to repress it.

However, I apologize for not having more to say about his life versus his death. I was never much of a parrot head myself!

Old 09-05-2023, 05:18 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
NEVERTHELESS, when someone dies, I am respectful and don't ask how, but just take it that they have..
Some people on this forum are nowhere near as respectful. Even going so far as to blaming him for his own death by getting too much sun.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:30 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Some people on this forum are nowhere near as respectful. Even going so far as to blaming him for his own death by getting too much sun.
Who blamed him for his own death? Where is that in any of the posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement