Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 03:18 PM

22,570 posts, read 47,633,000 times

Advertisements

" What's it like to live in a house w/a golf course view?"

As per my brother:

Golf balls ball in yard, golf balls breaking windows, golf balls cracking solar panels.
You can be sunning yourself in your backyard, and a foursome passes within 5 feet of you.
Sprinkler noise.
Landscaping noise.
Pesticide smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 03:20 PM

130,125 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd also look into the financial health of the golf course. If it's peaceful because it doesn't get a lot of use now, it might not survive too much longer. That "open space view" you may have paid a premium to get could end up a neglected weedy mess for a while, and then be converted to high density housing.
This is true. The local golf course here, is no longer a gold course, & everyday someone is on nextdoor complaining about how tall the weeds are. It is a bit of an eyesore.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:44 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Groundskeepers start before sun rise.

You will hear the starter announcing names for the next foursome.

You may hear a few obscenities if you live near the tee.

You will find more than balls in your yard. Beer cans, empty ball sleeves, and who knows what else.

Things will get broken. People will be in your yard looking for their ball.

In my area you will get quite a few coyotes. They more or less live on the courses.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:56 PM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is true. The local golf course here, is no longer a gold course, & everyday someone is on nextdoor complaining about how tall the weeds are. It is a bit of an eyesore.
Not to mention if there are any manmade lakes or ponds, they'll start to stagnate and stink if the place isn't kept up.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:00 PM

80 posts, read 62,875 times
One big complaint I have not seen mentioned is noise from golf carts passing close by on cart paths right behind your house. You might want to consider that as well when looking for a lot on golf course.

Mowers running before dawn would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:03 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Some of the communities we've looked at have homes that back to a golf course. The view is nice but I was wondering what it was actually like to live in such a home and whether or not that would be a good location for retirement.

I know that there's always the potential for broken windows but I'm curious to know how often that actually happens.
Have lived in my present house which is "on a golf course" for 21 years. During that time, I have also owned two different summer homes on different golf courses for about 10 years. I like watching the activity on the golf course plus I like the gorgeous view. Much better than looking at someone's back patio just a few feet away.

During all that time, never had a broken window, and only one of the three places ever had a golf ball in the yard. That last part will depend largely on "where" you are located on the golf course. Some locations are more prone to having golf balls in the yard than others.

Yes, you'll likely have a little mower activity before daylight, but most of the mowing is during the day. If hearing the voices of golfers bothers you, then don't move there. Personally, hearing someone having a good time or occasionally a curse word never bothered me. Mostly it's just casual conversation. No big deal.

Usually you'll have a good to great view of the course which is certainly a benefit. If I were to move or buy another place, I would certainly consider a nice golf course home to be a plus. Been there, done that on 3 different homes. Not a single regret.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:06 PM

2,051 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd also look into the financial health of the golf course. If it's peaceful because it doesn't get a lot of use now, it might not survive too much longer. That "open space view" you may have paid a premium to get could end up a neglected weedy mess for a while, and then be converted to high density housing.
This, along with future water shortages in the western/desert regions. Droughts could reach a point where it's no longer economically viable to maintain the courses and the above happens. Good riddance, I say.

With all the comments here, it's amusing how "golf course view" it always touted as an amenity in real estate ads. Sounds more like a major turn off.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:09 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I have some friends who live in a golf-course subdivision. They pay rather high HOA fees. To me, if you don't actually play golf pretty often, it's not a good deal.

And as noted you are tied in to the golf course, which you don't manage or control. If the golf course fails for whatever reason, as noted by previous posts, you could end up with Section 8 apartments or whatever being built there.

Of course, if you *do* like to play golf and play frequently, it can be a good deal, you can play more often and don't have to travel, you could have your cart right there at the house or if you want to walk, even less overhead. And most of these courses give a discount to residents.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Some of the communities we've looked at have homes that back to a golf course. The view is nice but I was wondering what it was actually like to live in such a home and whether or not that would be a good location for retirement.

I know that there's always the potential for broken windows but I'm curious to know how often that actually happens.
Generally, not that great........unless the helicopters are landing there, then it is different.

Golf courses tend to be very exclusive. That unless you are a member, unless you are actually playing golf, you can't be there.........and they can have rather green Nazis enforcing it.

So you bought a house with the golf course as part of the view......but you can't use it unless you pay more money, play their strict rules. How great is that?

Now, granted, that was 40 years ago with the courses in Austin....but I rather doubt they have changed.

Of course, there are at least 2 other things. Golf Courses take a heck of a lot of water to maintain and if you are living in an arid area, that's not good. Further, if there is more money (or need) for housing.....the golf course is going to buy it. That's what happened to the one where the helicopters would land......and there goes your view.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:28 PM

17,361 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Generally, not that great........unless the helicopters are landing there, then it is different.

Golf courses tend to be very exclusive. That unless you are a member, unless you are actually playing golf, you can't be there.........and they can have rather green Nazis enforcing it.

So you bought a house with the golf course as part of the view......but you can't use it unless you pay more money, play their strict rules. How great is that?

Now, granted, that was 40 years ago with the courses in Austin....but I rather doubt they have changed.

Of course, there are at least 2 other things. Golf Courses take a heck of a lot of water to maintain and if you are living in an arid area, that's not good. Further, if there is more money (or need) for housing.....the golf course is going to buy it. That's what happened to the one where the helicopters would land......and there goes your view.
Oh man, helicopters are loud! I'll never forget when I was in the hospital after the birth of our first baby and that room overlooked the hospital roof landing pad for the Medivac helicopters. The noise was horrible.

As far as playing golf goes, I see us playing on occasion for fun but I don't see our retirement revolving around playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement