Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 01:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

I had friends who rented a house on a golf course in the desert of northern Nevada. They liked the lushness of the green golf course, contrasted to the arid desert, & the fact that at night it was quiet & no houses behind them.

But they were still working age & gone 5 days a week & it was a temporary living situation for them. They often found golf balls in the backyard & when the glass patio French door was shattered by one, they just called the landlord to fix it.

We visited & there was a nice view of mountains in the distance. But, again, it was a temporary situation for them. As a retirement home it wouldn’t be my choice, especially since I don’t golf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 01:56 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Lived near the putting green at the 1st hole. Grass cutting is done daily on the putting greens(the holes), usually starting with the 1st hole. Every day before sunrise, we would hear the mower start up and cut the grass. Got used to it though.

Never had a broken window because the angle of the shot avoided a direct hit toward the home, but did find golf balls on the far edge of the lot.

On the hottest summer days, the course placed these massive loud fans on the green (at the hole) and turned them on. It was awful loud. Fans like this: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...ng-greens.html

Old 09-06-2023, 03:26 PM

17,265 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Hey if your new house gets hit enough you could be rich! (5mm award)
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/0...by-golf-balls/

Old 09-06-2023, 06:20 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We showed a house in one of these communities, that had a golf ball deflecting fence around the back yard... pickets that were at about a 45 degree angle, about six inches apart. From the house, it allowed for you to see the nice view out the windows through the fence. From the tee area, it provided a deflecting barrier.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:06 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I lived on a golf corse years ago. The house was located past the 4th green. We didn’t get any balls in our yard, but neighbors along the fairway did get balls in their yard.

My parents have lived in 2 Golf Corse homes. The first they were far enough away from the tee box so as to not hear the golfer chatter, but the cart path was about 5 feet from their screened lanai. Carts going by at regular intervals most days. In the early mornings Dad walked the course and picked up lots of balls. He even had a grading system - balls he kept, balls he gave to friends, and balls he gave to kids at public courses. Their second golf corse house was awesome, they were across a pond from a tee box. Far enough away to hear no chatter and the pond attracted wonderful wildlife — Bald Eagles showed up regularly along with a wide variety of birds.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:31 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I've lived on a golf course for the last twelve years. My living room windows overlook the fifteenth tee so the golf balls are going away from the house, never a broken window, some stray balls over the years but no more than four or five in my flower gardens in all that time. I like the privacy, the uninterrupted view all the way to the Cascade foothills with no other houses in view. I guess it's more about the course layout than any general gripes about living on a course. I've seen some course homes that face the fairway and that could be a real dealbreaker for many..

Old 09-06-2023, 09:40 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I lived on a golf corse years ago. The house was located past the 4th green. We didn’t get any balls in our yard, but neighbors along the fairway did get balls in their yard.

My parents have lived in 2 Golf Corse homes. The first they were far enough away from the tee box so as to not hear the golfer chatter, but the cart path was about 5 feet from their screened lanai. Carts going by at regular intervals most days. In the early mornings Dad walked the course and picked up lots of balls. He even had a grading system - balls he kept, balls he gave to friends, and balls he gave to kids at public courses. Their second golf corse house was awesome, they were across a pond from a tee box. Far enough away to hear no chatter and the pond attracted wonderful wildlife — Bald Eagles showed up regularly along with a wide variety of birds.

My grandparents summer house was on just under 2 acres on a golf course fairway. So many balls came onto their property that we grandchildren never had to buy any balls for our own rounds the entire time we were growing up.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:21 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
We've had a golf course lot before. We were in between the red/white tee boxes, so unless a golfer really shanked one from the black tee box, we had no worries of broken windows and never had one in 5+ years of living there. We would get about 15-20 golf balls in our yard during the course of a year.

Overall I thought it was nice... Our lot was .28 acres at the time, so decent sized, but walk out on the back patio and you have this 20-30 acre open space with trees and well maintained grass to look out on, much better than facing a back neighbor's fence, and we had strategically placed trees and hedges for privacy. After 7pm it was rare to have any golfers even though the course closed at 8pm, so at night it was great to sit on the patio and enjoy the view.

We may be in our "forever" home now, and we're not on a GC lot anymore, but I'd consider moving back to one if we ever downsize. Placement along the course is key to avoid issues.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:37 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Golf courses going bankrupt in some expensive communities in northern Nevada has been a problem.,

Old 09-07-2023, 11:23 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I prefer not to have the country club crowd anywhere near my home. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement