Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:15 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Some of the communities we've looked at have homes that back to a golf course. The view is nice but I was wondering what it was actually like to live in such a home and whether or not that would be a good location for retirement.

I know that there's always the potential for broken windows but I'm curious to know how often that actually happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 01:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I know a couple that even has a narrow residential street between them and the Course...omg ---the golf balls
that hit their house!! I've been there...it's true!

Old 09-04-2023, 01:23 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
It could be a nice “borrowed” view. I wouldn’t buy a house with a tee box near my backyard. Golfers will be there staring at your house all day waiting to tee off.

It really depends on where the house is located and how busy the golf course is. Most golf courses do not allow residents to walk on the course due to liability concerns (lawn chemicals, etc.).

If you are fortunate to be on a seldom-played course it could be very nice.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:32 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
One apartment that I rented faced north towards a golf driving range, maybe 80 feet away from it. The range itself faced west, and there were very large nets in place above the foot chain link fence to protect the apartments from errant golf balls, providing about 20 feet of vertical protection. Still, the side of my apartment on the third floor would get about two or three shanked/sliced shots every day. Never a broken window, though.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:34 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
They mow the grass early on the course....I have heard people complain about that. I have also heard about golf ball damage.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:06 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
If the house is built go out to the site at several different times and see if the noise etc is ok.
Friend of mine did this and did not buy. To close to the tee and could hear a lot of talking when out on the patio. I think the answer relates to the actual position of the lot vs the course,

Old 09-04-2023, 02:54 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I appreciate the insights. I was wondering about the potential for golf ball damage and noise. It sounds as though both could be a very significant issue depending on where the house is located in relation to the golf course.

I wasn't noticing that on our recent visit but we were not in the backyard for very long at all.

My husband, in particular, is an early riser and I'm used to him puttering around and making noise in the morning. I can sleep through just about anything. So, unless our routine really changes a lot in retirement, I doubt that the sound of a mower would bother either one of us too much.

I can see how errant golf balls and hearing golfers chat on the course day in/day out could be difficult to live with, especially when they have a view into your backyard, too.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
it depends... on the course, (level of activity) and your placement on the course.

Don't live in a home on a 'peninsula' where golfers will be prone to drive OVER (through) your home or yard. One of my mom's (3) GC homes was between fairway of hole. She had to wear a helmet while outside, but collected a 5 gal of bucket of free balls every month.

This yr we have stayed in at least 10 homes on courses, and no complaints, apart from the chatty golfers early in the morning. View has been great. A couple courses in Del Webb we get to use the course for walking / carting before dawn and after 5pm. Makes it for nice for roaming around seeing views and wildlife. (Such as watching the rattlesnake eat a rabbit (that took a few hours)).. Access to course (off hours), without the high golf fees is a pretty nice perk.

Some of our hosts have been very fortunate in getting the home with just the right view and amendments. Since my mom did executive flip homes for the $500k tax free earnings every 24 months. She was most picky about the specific view (and the home potential). She had some very nice GC homes. Her homes were always too tall (elevated) to see into from the course.

A favorite stay is at a golf course home in Oro Valley (near Tuscon), very open views over golf course, Mtns each side, Nice sunsets and sunrises Plenty of wildlife daily. Cannot see homes nearby, only far away.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I recently visited a person who lives in a condo that backs up to a golf course. If she sits out on her back patio she has to watch out for flying golf balls and she says she knows of at least a few times that golf balls have landed on her patio. Also, there's the concern with pesticides that golf courses use because they are health hazards.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:12 PM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'd also look into the financial health of the golf course. If it's peaceful because it doesn't get a lot of use now, it might not survive too much longer. That "open space view" you may have paid a premium to get could end up a neglected weedy mess for a while, and then be converted to high density housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement