Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 11:23 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I own a small condo as well (600 sq. ft.) and share it with 2 of my grandsons. The tradeoff is that it is oceanfront in Maui.
I still manage to spend $100-200 per week at Costco, and it is an hour away.

Wine prices are excellent, and I rarely drink wine. It is the one place where I enjoy browsing, and always find "must-haves" like their $4.99 rotisserie chickens and $5.99 huge pumpkin pies. I also purchase electronics, furniture, watches, clothes, cruises, gifts, etc. there.
Yours is smaller than mine! I've got 940 s.f. I have a 15 minute drive to the Atlantic Ocean. Not quite Maui, but still beautiful.

Not a big shopper, and I have lots of options closer for all those things. But you, enjoy!

Old 11-27-2023, 12:19 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yours is smaller than mine! I've got 940 s.f. I have a 15 minute drive to the Atlantic Ocean. Not quite Maui, but still beautiful.

Not a big shopper, and I have lots of options closer for all those things. But you, enjoy!
LOL! Not something a man hopes to hear from a woman. Kidding aside, 940 sq ft is a decent sized place. Here in Hawaii, "small" condos are often 300-400 sq ft.

If you haven't spent any time in Costco, please give them a try! Tires and gasoline prices along with everything else mentioned are typically the best you can find. If there wasn't a Costco in Maui, I might have retired elsewhere. I wish we had a Sam's Club too, and we finally got a Target Store a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 12:31 AM

7,671 posts, read 3,301,256 times
Quote:
LOL! Not something a man hopes to hear from a woman. Kidding aside, 940 sq ft is a decent sized place. Here in Hawaii, "small" condos are often 300-400 sq ft.

If you haven't spent any time in Costco, please give them a try! Tires and gasoline prices along with everything else mentioned are typically the best you can find. If there wasn't a Costco in Maui, I might have retired elsewhere. I wish we had a Sam's Club too, and we finally got a Target Store a few years back.
When I was leaving Alaska in the early 80's they were building the first Costco in Anchorage. That would have been nice as the prices were so outrageous. The fruit and veggies looked like fruit and veggies but did not taste right at all. When we left I ate salads for years to compensate

Old 11-27-2023, 05:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Many, many years ago, my older Brother gifted me a stuffed shark. Nice but very big and he has always been tough to find a place for.

A year or two ago, he and my niece gave me the Beanie Baby dragon Cinder and I was knocked over......because to me, it's a Baby Zok! https://hanna-barbera.fandom.com/wiki/Zok He has found a home on my dresser.

I doubt my Brother and Niece know of the dragon lore, just my love for being absolutely fabulous......animals. Nevertheless, when I opened and saw Cinder, it admittedly touched my heart.

I talked with my Brother last night on an overseas call. We didn't talk about gifts but he did comment that while overseas, he is trying to avoid buying knickknacks. SIGH....... because for me, things that go in curio cabinets, a different gift of small things, are those of what have touched my heart in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
For each of us, sometime next year, we all meet a location to be determined as well as day (days ? !) To meet each other face to face ! Would you be willing ?.....
No.......thank you.

On Costco: fortunately for me, all the raves that people say about it, have fallen on deaf ears. Fortunately for if I were in there, I might be tempted to buy much more than what I need.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-27-2023 at 06:47 AM..

Old 11-27-2023, 06:21 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:

I don't know 'bout that. Nearest Costco to me is 5.5 miles down a congested highway with traffic lights. I just checked the gas price for today. $3.03. Filled my tank yesterday at a place a mile away for $3.05. Not worth the drive, loss of time, and hassle of stop-and-go traffic to me for 2 cents a gallon.

When I need tires I will take a look. We had a great independently owned tire place close by, best prices ever, but they closed down after years of business. Not sure why.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:23 AM

22,618 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
If you haven't spent any time in Costco, please give them a try! Tires and gasoline prices along with everything else mentioned are typically the best you can find.
Truth!
Their gas is 20-25 cents cheaper, but the closest to me is about an hour away. We go to Costco every 2-3 months and always go withthe tank on fumes.
I have a close Sam's Club, but theirs is only 5-8 cents cheaper.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:02 AM

22,618 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
UNPOPULAR OPINION: I absolutely hate gift cards. Giving them, receiving them, the whole idea of them. You might as well be writing a check (or going online) to pay a bill for all the thought and effort it takes, which is the whole point of gift-giving, in my opinion. It's an act of love or friendship and personal; not a monetary obligation. Otherwise, just don't bother.
So, if I knew you likes massages, and there was a great massage place near you...
You would consider a gift card to that massage place thoughtless and effortless? Would you return it to me?

Old 11-27-2023, 07:09 AM

13,656 posts, read 10,050,717 times
Really, I'd like a proper workshop, tools, and materials so I can make things. Maybe a place with hardstanding and an open shed too.

More land, more trees.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Our extended family has always done a "secret Santa" thing for the adults, then everyone buys for the kids. Now that most of us are tired of just trading Amazon lists, we decided to change it up this year, and when we get together we will all buy just for the grandkids. The adults can just do their own gifting back at home before or after the family event. Thinking about it,
I bought everything I need or want while working and having excess spending money. There are still a few things I need for my classic car project, but most are too expensive to expect as gifts, such as a headline kit, rear disk brake conversion kit or
new leaf springs. About all that's left is consumables, such as beef jerky, sugar-free York Peppermint Patties, some of my favorite beers, or restaurant gift car.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:23 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
For xmas eve everyone buys a present under X amount, and then we have games to compete to choose the gifts - it makes the evening fun.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement