Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:06 AM

25,644 posts, read 17,385,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
I'd love to hear what you eat. Feel free to PM me (if you feel like sharing) rather than post it to this thread. Up to you.
Breakfast - Hamburger steak and egg. Fry it up in butter, not margarine. I used to have pork chop and egg, but I switched; I like hamburger better, and it more convenient. I ALWAYS start with 16 oz of water.

Lunch - Trisquits with cheese and some kind of meat, like ham,or left over pork roast. I'll usually drink a diet coke.

Dinner -We eat about 5 dinners a week at home. I prefer meat and some vegetable of one sort or another. I never eat salads. Never eat bread, for that matter; quit buying it a few years ago.

Why I eat this way: I think the whole food pyramid thing is wrong. In order to fulfill its requirements you have to eat all sorts of prepared and packaged foods and they contain things that are not good for you. Grains should be consumed by humans only in an emergency; modern bread is not good for you; margarine and salad dressing are junk food; vegetable oils are a cruel joke and should be banned from grocery store shelves; the cholesterol story is a myth - the real culprit is sugar in all its forms.

For my 78th birthday I did 78 squats and planked for 78 seconds.
I'll be 79 this summer.
5'10"/180/BP 125 over 75. I had a heart bypass 3 years ago. That's when I changed my diet and started learning and forming new opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 08:40 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If your bones are structurally sound and you have the money, get teeth implants. The traditional ones that require months of effort.

Joint a gym. Pay for training/coach. Exercise 3 days a week. There is an older male at my gym that uses crutches.

If you have money, travel.

Cook more exotic meals. Stretch your culinary skills.

Written from the perspective of a 75 year old.
I'm in the process of implants again now. (I got three implants and a four-tooth permanent bridge that sits on them about 18 years ago.)

I got one last year, upper left. Need the tooth now. Went to get it the other day and it went in crooked so they have to remake it.

I had the remains of two lower back teeth, one on each side, taken out last year after the old crowns came off. Going to get implants for them, too. I miss them for chewing.

They're expensive, of course. Insurance covers 80%, but that still leaves me with a balance. One of the reasons I tell myself to keep working the post-retirement part-time job. All my lower front teeth are still mine and still good.

Was happy that he says I don't need a bone graft.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:46 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
I started swimming last summer. A county pool about five minutes from here has adult-only lane swimming in the early morning from 7 to 9. I started going, and pathetically, I could only do three laps the first day, but I worked my way up to 5 over the next few weeks until I went away for the rest of the summer to a place that had a lake, where I could do my swimming in natural water without anyone in close proximity.

I LOVE the water, but I really hated the lap swimming while I was doing it. However, I felt so good AFTERWARD that it was worth it. Also, I had lunch with a friend who has the same birthday but is a year older, and I was telling her about it. She said she also could only do four laps when she started, but now she swims a mile a day.

There's a Y in a nearby town with an indoor pool. I am going to look into that and then go start humiliating myself in front of people again.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:55 AM

11,795 posts, read 6,162,527 times
How does one age gracefully?

Step 1: Pick the right parents and have amazing DNA.

Step 2: Take incredible care of yourself with diet and exercise.

Step 3: Make sure you have incredibly good luck all along the way.

Easy peasy. Do those three things and you will age quite gracefully. I am zealous of all 20 of those people.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 03-01-2024 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM

Retirement is fabulous. Aging sucks.

60 is old.

70 is really old.

80 is ancient.

I am just grateful to be pain free. I think I am the only pain free 65-year old I know. Even many people in their 30s and 40s seem to have knee, hip, or back pain that I have avoided my entire life. I am really happy about that.

My baby boom generation thinks their butts are plated with gold and say stupid things like "60 is the new 40". Bulloney. 60 is old. 65 is old and feels old. You don't have one foot in the grave, but it is old.

I keep thinking of how I can spend the next 5 years because I know that 70 is really old and most of us really slow down. After 70 it will mostly be just couch potato time for me. Maybe not everybody, but for most of us, 70 is old and slow.

I can relate to your post about how normal things carry side affects and noticeable impacts that I certainly didn't have when I was a kid or a teen, or even through my 40s. How natural everything felt for what, maybe the first 40 years of my life. Even now, walking is almost a concious activity I am aware of when most of my life, it was just a natural activity in the background that I never even notice. I used to just walk. Now I kind of realize I am moving old muscle walking, don't have the same balance, notice any uphill grades. Don't even get me started on stairs.

I can't even imaging trying to run at 65. I shocked myself last year when I ran for something like 5 steps to stop a kids ball from going into the street. Some "sprint". I must have looked like a hippo shambling along. Where did that guy go who could run 3 miles in 20 minutes?

Yep, aging sucks but I am thrilled I am not invalid or in mental decline. That scares me, so I am happy to just be "aging" at this point and not "aged" and invalid.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:15 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,063,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
How to age gracefully? Diet and exercise - functional strength training specifically that focuses on balance and mobility. Eat a clean diet 80% of the time.
"Clean diet" is one of my least-favorite terms. It's just another version of toxic diet culture, that is messing with so many people's minds and lives.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:19 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,459,496 times
At the gym where I go, there's an older couple at the same time. The man uses a walker but can use the stationary bike so that's what he does. He's 79.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,077,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
......like when I blow my nose - I get dizzy, when I sneeze - I feel faint, when I cough - I leak!

I'm sensitive and allergic to things that were never problematic before.

This has all happened since turning 65, 3 years ago.....I can't see a thing without my progressive glasses, I wear 2 hearing aids, loosing teeth and need a partial, walk with a cane.

Old age used to be all in my mind...now it's in my joints too.

How does one age gracefully?
By just doing it......for the alternative of not growing old is rather dismal.

What's the alternative?...............DYING.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
"Clean diet" is one of my least-favorite terms. It's just another version of toxic diet culture, that is messing with so many people's minds and lives.
So what do you use to refer to a basic diet of unprocessed food? The point is, eating a basic diet of real meat, real veggies, real fruit as opposed to highly processed edibles that are far from basic grown or raised food.

If you despise the term "clean diet" then how do you refer to a diet of just basic whole foods?

Old 03-01-2024, 11:42 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,063,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So what do you use to refer to a basic diet of unprocessed food? The point is, eating a basic diet of real meat, real veggies, real fruit as opposed to highly processed edibles that are far from basic grown or raised food.

If you despise the term "clean diet" then how do you refer to a diet of just basic whole foods?
How about "basic whole foods?"

I try to focus on those healthy foods, but terms like "clean" imply that other foods are dirty. It's like when people you're having lunch with say something like, "I'm going to be bad and have the ... (whatever)." It's not bad to eat. Food isn't dirty. It's important to make good choices, but people should have the space to eat food without the suggestion that it's dirty, bad, or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement