Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine, a bit on the chubby side, always hated summer and humidity. Then she developed scleroderma and absolutely could not stand winters. After she lost the tip of one finger to poor circulation, she gave up and moved to Phoenix, where she finds the heat almost intolerable, the air conditioning blasting everywhere, but it's better for overall health than changing temps and winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
I personally prefer the cold over the humidity also. I can't breathe in the humidity, much less try to exercise in it. I think sometimes though as you get older, if you are in cold weather your body aches more....is what my mom told me, who is 74. I am sure I will be feeling the same, but as for now I miss the cold and snow.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
I am 60 now (wow, never thought I'd be on this end of the age chain!), and I grew up in Western New York. I used to love the snow, enjoyed walks (especially on clear starry nights) after a big snowstorm, and just bundled up. I lived various places around the country, and discovered my own body tolerance. What I discovered was that I now hate living in humidity, rain and snow (although I still like the look of snow). I had not lived in a place without humidity until I moved to Arizona -- although I did not enjoy the intense heat there.

I lived in Seattle and thought that rain would be fine compared to snow -- not for me! I hated the constant rain! It's a beautiful area, but I could not deal with the constant cloudiness and misty, wet, cold weather. So, I learned that if I had a choice, I would choose snow over rain.

I went back east for a few years some 18 years ago, and discovered that I had constant bouts of bronchitis. I remembered getting bronchitis when I was younger, but older, I found it a constant every year.

Then I moved back west. Although I cannot afford to stay where I am in retirement, I do plan to remain in the sunny, dry west. I also discovered that having moved west I did not have those awful yearly episodes of bronchitis. I also feel much more comfortable without the humidity.

I, too, when I was younger wondered about why older people moved to the warmth -- now I know. I do find more joint aches when it rains, and I get more chilled quickly. The thought of living back in an area where I was house-bound for months because of rain or snow is not appealing. Thus, I am on my search to find a new, but still warm, dry and sunny retirement place. Although I enjoy much about the northeast and the people there, I feel much, much better in year-round good weather.

From people I have talked to who are my age, I find that they usually have similar feelings about this. I would guess with so many people retiring to the south and the southwest, that there are many others who feel the same way.

Besides, it's just really nice not to have rain or snow dates (when you have to reschedule activities due to the weather), and one can count on every day being more pleasurable because it is always warm and sunny.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Warm dry heat is what we want.....so heading to St. George, Utah in three years. Beautiful scenery, lots to do and only an hour from snow (in Cedar City) if we desire to see the snow. Humidity is not for me, which is where we are now. Oklahoma.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:37 PM

198 posts, read 354,733 times
I'm 65. I lived 55 years in Maine, and when I retired from teaching twelve years ago, my wife and I moved to So Cal. All my wife's family is here, but I had had enough of Maine winters..the long dark months, the cold, and the snow and ice.

I love the warmth, and I love being able to wear shorts and T-shirts for most of the year...even in the deep winter out here the daytimes are in the 60's and the nights nights never get below 38-40. Lots of sunshine, and it is light at 5PM even on December 21.

I'd never move back to a winter state. I love the sun and the heat.

There is nothing better than having lots of time to play in California and the rest of the west.

Here are my WEBSHOTS albums that detail in pictures how we spend a great deal of our time. Please have a look.

[u]Mod cutURL]

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-18-2008 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: link does not go to pics but an ad

Old 08-17-2008, 06:35 PM

California is a great place as far as weather goes. I lived in Northern Ca for 15 years. There is just too many people for my liking, but love visiting.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
1. Not as many aches and pains in a warmer climate.
2. As an elderly woman in a warm, humid place told me, the heat and humidity keeps your skin looking better longer, and you can put off getting a face lift. LOL
3. Your chances of falling and breaking a hip are fewer where it doesn't get icy.

There are more reasons, but these were ones off the top of my head.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Mackinac, that is so cool of you to be curious about something like this.

I read through every post and enjoyed this thread.

Many middle aged people are now finding themselves as empty nesters. Their grown children have left home and relocated elsewhere. Their Parents, Uncles, Aunts have now passed on. So basically they find themselves alone and other then friends and employment, are no longer tied to one specific area.

Many of us have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. Those all flare up when the cold moves in. Many have osteoporosis and our risk of falling is so much greater on snow and ice.

As someone else said~we've learned how short and fragile life is. Many are chosing to spend 12 months in the sun walking along the beach rather then 9 months couped up in their houses only to go out so they can shovel snow.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
The elderly seem to stay cold..even when its hot outside.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
At 55, I find that humidity makes me ache, especially in my lower back injured area, and aging knees. I feel like I can't breathe in humidity. Cold seems to have no painful effect (except paying the bills).
I knew there was a reason that coastal California is so expensive- apparently it's an ideal climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement