Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times

Advertisements

What a nice tribute to a full life lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Happy birthday to a fellow Valentine! lol I read a funny one one time about a man being interviewed on his 100th birthday. When the reporter asked him what he attributed his long life to, the man said,"When we married my wife and I said we wouldn't argue. If we felt an argument coming on one of us would go for a walk. The reason I've lived so long is I've been an outdoorsman most of my life!"
My dad is 86 and hung up his golf clubs last year. Mama is 86 and sews pillows, aprons and handbags and sells them in state park gift shops in the area.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
That's really great. Good genes to have.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,027,284 times
Wonderful Post, geos.
Love and strength to your dear pops.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
What a beautiful thread!!!

Geos, a Very Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad!! 100 is quite a feat and it's wonderful that he made it and has a daughter who is wonderful enough to pay tribute to him on his birthday. The love from his family is probably the number one thing keeping him alive.

Sometimes it's so easy to think of how "soft" and wimpy some of the younger people are. Just think of how we must look to the generation before us. They went through things we never dreamed of and deserve our respect and admiration.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
I guess because he was born on that day & because his mother obviously was not thinking, my Dad was actually baptised with the name Valentine ; he changed it to Frank before he was twelve years old.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What a beautiful thread!!!

Geos, a Very Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad!! 100 is quite a feat and it's wonderful that he made it and has a daughter who is wonderful enough to pay tribute to him on his birthday. The love from his family is probably the number one thing keeping him alive.
Thanks for the kind thoughts but it's interesting how people unconsciously assign roles to genders. I'm his SON! His GAY SON I might add. Keeps me busy when I'm not molesting children. (For those without a sense of irony that's a shot at our homophobic "friends".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sometimes it's so easy to think of how "soft" and wimpy some of the younger people are. Just think of how we must look to the generation before us. They went through things we never dreamed of and deserve our respect and admiration.
So true. We feel deprived when we don't have a 60" big screen TV and a latte cappuccino.

To keep it on topic people are always shocked when I say he retired 4 years ago. I think that's the secret of his success. He just refused to stop working. He would fall asleep at our store and I literally would have to prop him up. What's really killing him now is he has nothing to do and doesn't feel useful. What a terrible disservice we do to the elderly and our families by dumping "senior citizens" in nursing homes like some worn out commodity instead of keeping them an active and useful part of the community. Somehow, with the best of intentions our society has gone terribly wrong.

Sadly pops is having a bout with pneumonia and his may be his last hurrah but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back from the dead yet again. It would be nice if he could enjoy one last summer in the sun puttering with his tomatoes.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 AM

713 posts, read 2,718,364 times
I hope that your dad recovers, but I hear that they have really great tomatoes in Heaven.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM

384 posts, read 990,707 times
Geos - tip o' the hat for you and your dad. Mine would be 100 this year too - I use to love to hear of life back "when" there were still horse and buggies on streets and dandelions growing wild everywhere to pick for a dinner salad. Of course, the horror's existed too - my father had a huge growth carved out of his neck at the kitchen table - and missed a year of school - and shoes and food could be scarce at times too.

I found it interesting that people assigned a female gender to you - perhaps it is a projection since many on these forums are women (no surprise there ). When the first poster did that I went back up and re-read your post and thought ...no, that's a guy.

I agree with you re the elderly. My Mom is one of those now in a nursing home (in upstate NY) simply because it is too expensive to do in home care and because she refused to come live with one of her kids (although she would live with me if i was there, I'm sure). Her mind is intact, her body failing. It is a long, long day in a nursing home - and the help is 50/50 - meaning about 50% treat you like an interesting, meaningful human being... and the other 50% talk over you, don't respond to you and at times can actually be just downright cruel. Unfortuantely, it's the "aides" who do the daily one on one work that seem to have the higher percentage of disconnectedness with you as a human being. Nursing homes are understaffed and unable to require a qualtiy of care from the staff they do manage to get - especially at the aide level.

Sorry for the rant on nursing homes.

Good luck to you and your Dad.
BTW - Hawaii is great but it is expensive!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Tell your dad he raised a wonderful, grateful son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement