Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is anyone retired on a shoestring having either luck or trouble selling their homes, that is, if you still want to try to move (to a cheaper area)?

I've been thinking a lot that when everything is weighed, all factors including costs of this and that (including annual travel back to see family), is it really worth trying to relocate in an older age? On another thread, women retiring and relocating alone, there have been some brave souls who have done this (moved far away) but don't know if they did it on a real shoestring. I'd like to hear more from those who moved far away from family over the age of 55 and found (when all costs are taken into consdieration) that it was truly worth it economically...
Well I moved 2000 miles away from family when I was in my late 20's. I plan to move from where I have been living for the last 30 odd years when I semi-retire in a year or two. I have to move because I will not be able to afford to live here without having to work full time and I want to be able to slow down and relax a bit. I hope to down grade to a part time job.

So I am looking for a city that has better job opportunities and good public transportation. It will be worth it. I know this isn't quite the answer you are looking for but I wanted to point out that people relocate for all sorts of reasons. You have to do what works best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,413,823 times
To my mind, it would be very difficult to move away from family and friends when you are older, just for the idea of different place because it is more economical. For me, the comfort of familiarity is important and that takes years to establish--that is knowing well the people and the place.

In all areas of the country, you can downsize and live with less expense if you truly try--the personal costs of what you will loose, is much more than the economical costs of you will save just because it is a cheaper place to relocate.

I am around an extended family and I need that support and comfort. We recently had to put my mother in a nursing home, after a stroke and heart attack. Dealing with that is extremely difficult and not having family to share the burden would have been impossible for me. It certainly would be more difficult, as I age and I need help.

Family, Friends are everything; and combined with the Familiarity of Place gives one much comfort when one ages. It is better to have the savings in your heart, then in your wallet.

Livecontent

Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM

977 posts, read 1,110,651 times
I psyched myself up to leave the midwest and move across country last year. I flew out to explore area a couple times and was very excited about it. It took me quite a while to work up the nerve to try it, as I don't have friends there( although have met some very nice people on c-d by now).I sold my house within a week of putting it on the market in April, and was pretty surprised it went that quickly, especially since the town I'm moving from doesn't draw many strangers to the area. So off I went to find a place, only to discover the information I'd been given was incorrect and since I couldn't get health insurance in that state, I couldn't move there. I had to return home, pack everything up, sell or give away at least half and move to smaller place in town. I was so disappointed!!! It's hard to find the courage to make such a big change, especially as a single older woman with health issues. Right now I'm in another place I'll have to sell before I can leave, but at the time I had to find a place it seemed like my best option for a number of reasons. I'm pretty discouragd right now, and coping with "the coldest winter in 25 years" doesn't help.
I would (Am) definitely be living on a shoe string. It has worried me, scared me, but not convinced me to give up the idea entirely. After all, I don't have much here, and I long to get away to a place I'll feel better physically and emotionally, so guess if I'm going to under-go hard times, I won't let fear prevent me from at least being in a better place while that's happening. Does that make any sense? It's frustrating having to remain here because of health insurance options, especially when I'd feel so much better somewhere sunny, warm, and dry.
I still plan on trying it. I'll use this time to sort thru more "stuff" and check things out more thoroughly. What worries me is by the time I can move and get health insurance, the housing costs will have risen so much that I won't be able to afford a house. So I'm toying with the idea of going for it and risking even more to buy a place there. I can swing it for a while---maybe a couple years if I have to. I'm talking low prices---$65,000. to $75,000. or so. Maybe rent it out?
It's hard to know what to do. I hate having to make all these tough decisions alone. I never planned on this, of course. Few of us do. But life has a way of throwing us curves. I was married for 33 years and planned to stay that way until "death do us part". But he had other ideas.......so here I am. I am luckier than some, I know. I can live on my alimony if I'm very, very careful. I'm unable to work, so thank God for that "income". I don't feel guilty about it, either.....he set the amt. and I agreed. I figure I deserved something after all those years----most of which were financially tough ones. Sorry. Don't mean to get off topic. It helps to hear of women who have successfully made those big moves, so please keep the postings coming. Very encouraging to read of the successes and reasuring to know I'm not alone in my struggles. I'm so proud to be a woman. We're special, right? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,279,555 times
Artangel, just read your story..wow..you are right though, life does throw us curves..You think you have it planned out and BAM! those plans out the door. Hang in there, you sound like a tough gal...of course when someone says hang in there, what choice do we have, right!

Vent anytime...we are all pretty much in the same boat...

Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,205,314 times
My parents moved across the country when they were in their 60's and made new friends by participating in activities they enjoyed. A few years later I moved to the same place, but now I see it as time to move on. I see moving to a new place as an adventure that keeps me active, and younger in my thinking.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,554 times
Quote:
ArtAngel: I would (Am) definitely be living on a shoe string. It has worried me, scared me, but not convinced me to give up the idea entirely. After all, I don't have much here, and I long to get away to a place I'll feel better physically and emotionally, so guess if I'm going to under-go hard times, I won't let fear prevent me from at least being in a better place while that's happening. Does that make any sense? It's frustrating having to remain here because of health insurance options, especially when I'd feel so much better somewhere sunny, warm, and dry.
I still plan on trying it. I'll use this time to sort thru more "stuff" and check things out more thoroughly. What worries me is by the time I can move and get health insurance, the housing costs will have risen so much that I won't be able to afford a house. It's hard to know what to do. I hate having to make all these tough decisions alone. I never planned on this, of course. Few of us do. But life has a way of throwing us curves. It helps to hear of women who have successfully made those big moves, so please keep the postings coming. Very encouraging to read of the successes and reasuring to know I'm not alone in my struggles. I'm so proud to be a woman. We're special, right? Thanks!
Quote:
Minerva: I have to move because I will not be able to afford to live here without having to work full time and I want to be able to slow down and relax a bit. I hope to down grade to a part time job.

So I am looking for a city that has better job opportunities and good public transportation. It will be worth it. I know this isn't quite the answer you are looking for but I wanted to point out that people relocate for all sorts of reasons. You have to do what works best for you.
Two great posts -- thanks!!

Artangel, I totally agree. I have made a compromise with my finances and living situation. I had a home in the mountains on which I owed the entire mortgage (long story -- another of those curve balls!), so I sold it in August for a very low price, and was able to pay the bank, plus put a small down payment on a mobile home in Santa Cruz, CA. Thus, I still have a mortgage, but I figured since the rents and my mortgage are similar, that it made more sense -- at least at this point -- to get a mobile than rent. We'll see in time if that's true.

However, I, too, have held the theory that somehow, someway, we can "fit" into that place that is nicer and gives us more pleasure, especially if we don't have to be near family, or have no family. So, although I am paying more than maybe someplace else, there are always things that off-set it. For instance, I am originally from Buffalo, New York -- but there the heating costs are very high, and you have to wear seasonal clothing, which costs, and the taxes are very high in New York State, plus, the city is very depressed.

Where I am now, I know housing is more, but my heat is very, very low, so is my electric, I have almost no property taxes (it's a mobile on a rented space), and I am only three blocks from the ocean. It's mid-January and it's in the 60s, I only need to wear a light jacket, I just bought some tropical small palms for both my deck and back yard, and it's a very cultural and interesting town to live in. It's a trade-off. I could save more if I lived in Buffalo -- maybe -- but what about quality of life? With us aging, there isn't that much life left! So, why not compromise?

Like Minerva, I, too, can't retire yet. I'd love to, but I can't manage. If I could be assured that I would have a part-time job, I would. But right now, the odds don't look that good. So, I am sorting through all this. I may have to work full-time another 4 years; I may be able to find a way to work out a part-time situation -- I don't know. Ideally, I would prefer the part-time situation and retiring, so that I could finally relax a little. It's been a long haul!

So, Minerva's right -- we all move for different reasons. And like Artangel, life does throw us curveballs! Like Artangel and Minerva, I am alone, too. It's harder financially as a single person than as a couple....but it is what it is.

I know of someone who moved from here to northern California where it has hardly any culture, is colder, rainier, snowy, and just not the best. But he did it to "save money," although he could have spent a couple of hundred more a month and been in a place that fills his soul. But he chose to go with the cheaper route -- and now he is unhappy. So, what to choose? I compromised -- I got a place that isn't the greatest (compared to those who have "real" houses), but I also live in one of the places that is the greatest! Besides, here the weather is so nice that much time is spent outdoors anyway. It's still a very nice area and the park is very clean, very well-maintained and very, very close to the ocean. Here's what my street looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]

So, I think that money is critical, and compromise is also critical when you truly are on a shoestring. Being on a shoestring for one person may be really living on a shoestring, for another it may mean cutting corners. I'm on the really on shoestring level because I do not have savings, investments, etc., plus I pay lots more for a mortgage, space fee, etc. But I save in cooking my own food, driving an old beater car, shopping at thrifts, etc. What I enjoy are the free things, and here there are many: all the ocean beaches are free to the public and easily accessible; the weather is great; the mountains are only a few minutes away and redwoods abound. It is a university town with lots to do, all kinds of events year-round, and very pretty. It's about choices.

I think that Artangel and Minerva make good points about how different we all are, but that we are all trying to maintain a budget. Ahhh, how nice it would be to not have to check prices all the time, to eat out whenever, and to buy what I want. But since I can't, on the flip-side I do have a lovely environment, some nice friends, and the California lifestyle is pretty nice -- even on a shoestring!!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,627,482 times
Default great posts and love the picture of your community

wisteria, what a charming cottage feel that has - either you have a great place or you are one heck of a photographer or ideally BOTH! you as others voice so much that keeps playing through my mind - it is the quality of life, and for each of us that will represent different things.

A few days ago, I started the awesome task of printing out all the posts from the "where will you go" thread. I had NO idea how many posts ultimately that would be and I am far from finished.....i simply wanted to sit down and read the story of how everyone has arrived at where they are, tangibly and intangibly speaking, and how they are pursuing the next leg of the journey.

i do agree with " live content" who posted on the issue of living where you know and near family and friends - I feel that perspective on the one side of me and on another, I also desire a fresh start - a quest for figuring what is best for me and best for me may not being overly close to family (as awful as that might sound). In some ways, we may need to be in the "creating our own world" time. I have been the family anchor/the pied piper. Some days I just want to figure out something that is what I choose and now may be that opportunity with no job to follow or chase/no obligations or expectations to be met.

i grew up in a high-cost-of-living area - all of my immediate family has stayed in proximity to that area and my going there will mean my standard of living will be seriously reduced because i did leave at a point and can't really afford to go back. maybe there is some truth to the "you can't go home again" .................... and maybe that's ok...........

Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is anyone retired on a shoestring having either luck or trouble selling their homes, that is, if you still want to try to move (to a cheaper area)?

.... is it really worth trying to relocate in an older age? ... I'd like to hear more from those who moved far away from family over the age of 55 and found (when all costs are taken into consdieration) that it was truly worth it economically...
Keep flexible, life changes. (I just looked in the mirror )

It really depends on your situation, In my Family...(if you could call it that ), everyone is totally spread out and none could care less, so... I'm staying 'flexible', and in pursuit of 'home'. (rural Colorado was still favorite for all of us, but NO-ONE is there now).

I have several friends who relocated (some in pursuit of family, some to 'escape' family). Friends can be much better than family (sorry to say). I feel you need to be very careful and find a spot you really enjoy and feel comfortable with THE PEOPLE, (MOST important).

I am still thinking 'shared equity' will be part of my equation. I just met a couple in Canada this weekend who became friends with a farm family who lived in rural Mexico (nationals). This couple invested about $3000 to build a guest suite on the Mexico farm, and they spend about 6 months / yr there, doing whatever they please. It is near Cabo, so fairly accessible and ez to get to. Ocean nearby, they keep a scooter, 'beater' car, and bikes there. The Mexico family uses the rooms for hosting others off season, and it adds to their income. It has worked for well over 10 yrs for them.

There are some significantly 'cheap' places to live (even W/O humidity, a must for me) so I have an inkling for a project.
Teardrop Trailer Project

Teardrop Campers - A Complete Guide To Teardrop Trailers | CampingEarth.com

These 'mini-RV's go for serious bones ($5,000 - $7000), so... I think I can add a 'bed-liner' ($100) and canopy ($100) to my $300 'snowbear' utility trailer and come up with a decent 'gypsy' RV that I can tow behind my 50 mpg 'grease burner' / econo-car. Thus I can fit right in when I find my spot (It will be a clue if they accept me in my 'gypsy-wagon' )

When I 'light' (settle down -ha-ha) I can use 'Snowbear' to haul compost and plywood for my NEW MINI garden.

Few problems...
I prefer to be gone rather than home.. (but I'm still a young 'retiree')
CHEAP place needs to allow passive solar cooling (convection), and heating, and potentially elect. (W/O humidity of course)
Good sources for free grease
And close to airport and college.

I'll keep you posted... 'Gumby' (inventor died this week) RIP (keep flexible...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-12-2010 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,554 times
Quote:
StealthRabbit: I have several friends who relocated (some in pursuit of family, some to 'escape' family). Friends can be much better than family (sorry to say). I feel you need to be very careful and find a spot you really enjoy and feel comfortable with THE PEOPLE, (MOST important).
I think that's a very important point in this whole process. I also have some weirdness in my family, so I prefer to stay out west on the other coast. I often tell my daughter: Friends are Family You Choose!

I have found that to be true. Most families are not perfect, so friends really do become family! Thanks for pointing that out!!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I think that's a very important point in this whole process. I also have some weirdness in my family, so I prefer to stay out west on the other coast. I often tell my daughter: Friends are Family You Choose!

I have found that to be true. Most families are not perfect, so friends really do become family! Thanks for pointing that out!!
And to Sealth Rabbit too, you make good points. I left my family behind so many years ago. We go along better that way. And eventually they all became scattered from Toronto to LA so my staying where we all started wouldn't have kept me that close to them.

Of course as metioned we are all in different situations. For those who are close to their families it would be a difficult thing for them to move away; for those who aren't, not so much. I have always been closer with friends than family. I have no doubt that wherever I move I will be making new friends. I can still see my family wherever they may be as long as planes fly.

The important thing to me is what I will need to retire the way I would like to live (realistically that is). That does not exist where I live now so it's a not even a question of should I stay or should I go. The difficult part is where. I began my search last year and I will continue until I find a more suitable place. It does take time to make these decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement