Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 47,951 times

Advertisements

....that has low to reasonable cost of living expenses, weather that is NOT VERY HOT and NOT VERY COLD, (nothing extreme), and has low humidity.

I appreciate your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Your goal of low humidity might point you towards the southwest. Costs would eliminate most of the populated areas of California, leaving Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and southern Colorado. All are relatively low cost areas so you would need to balance a tolerance for heat with avoiding winter cold. Possibilities would include St George, Grand Junction, Prescott, Albuquerque and hundreds of other locations.

You might want to think about other qualities you desire beyond just cost of living and weather; otherwise, the formula might lead you to a place like Green River, Utah, or you could go down the road to Thompson Springs. The humidity is low, the winters are moderate and it is not too hot in the Summer. The cost of living is very low. You might want to live there, but I would rather visit and move on.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
Go to http://www.city-data.com/ and you can get info on all of the towns and cities in the country. My choice is Albuquerque.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malex227 View Post
....that has low to reasonable cost of living expenses, weather that is NOT VERY HOT and NOT VERY COLD, (nothing extreme), and has low humidity.

I appreciate your input!!!
And what are you going to do with yourself after you get there?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 63,119 times
Default GREAT U.S. cities to retire to:

I agree about Albuquerque, except for the summer heat part. California of course while being over priced is also going down the drain. If not for that, San Diego's climate I find to be perfect, about 72 degrees everyday, just can't afford it. For me, that leave's California out of the picture. I then started looking east, too hot to the south, go up north abit. Lake Tahoe/ Reno area? I think if you look around this broad area, there might be a good match. One thing is that the city should probably be of at least medium size so that there is adequte hospitals/senior services. Anyone have any imput...as you might guess, I am also looking, and humidity is also a issue for me! I cannot take day after day of overcast, hence the N.W. is out! Idea's?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodabehr View Post
I agree about Albuquerque, except for the summer heat part. ... San Diego's climate I find to be perfect, about 72 degrees everyday, just can't afford it. ... Lake Tahoe/ Reno area? I think if you look around this broad area, there might be a good match. One thing is that the city should probably be of at least medium size so that there is adequte hospitals/senior services. Anyone have any imput...as you might guess, I am also looking, and humidity is also a issue for me! I cannot take day after day of overcast, hence the N.W. is out! Idea's?
You can check Reno and north, but it is a bit desolate. (Chico might work if CA taxes don't kill you)

Ft Collins, Loveland, Colo Springs, Colorado
Rapid City, SD, Billings and Bozeman, Mt
Sheridan, WY, Boise, Idaho Falls, Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, ID.

Wenatchee, Spokane, WA
I didn't add any from Oregon as their taxes are messed up, but... Bend, Lagrande, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Hood River and The Dalles are worth checking out.

That should keep you for awhile. I have learned to 'adapt' a little to no sun, after 30 yrs in the PNW, (but it IS sunny today and yesterday). but I do enjoy getting back home to Colorado or to Sacramento as often as possible. (too crowded for me in CO and CA). I have to live in a county without a stoplight, but still only 1 hr to international airport. I'm 20 min now, and spoiled.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
MOST PEOPLE TODAY are remaining home, and getting out for the colder months.........................less expensive.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can check Reno and north, but it is a bit desolate. (Chico might work if CA taxes don't kill you)

Ft Collins, Loveland, Colo Springs, Colorado

Wenatchee, Spokane, WA
I didn't add any from Oregon as their taxes are messed up, but... Bend, Lagrande, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Hood River and The Dalles are worth checking out.
Reno isn't that bad. I lived there for a couple of years some 30 or so years ago. If you don't have a gambling problem, it isn't bad at all. The gambling industry makes getting in and out of it fairly easy. Low humidity and not too hot most of the time in summer, tho windy. Winters are not too bad - a few days down in the teens and 20s but not as cold as where I live now. Not a lot of moisture either. Mountains are very close and it is a pretty setting.

I'd live in Reno again before l'd go to Chico - too d**n hot in Chico even if the taxes weren't so high. Sacramento is hot too. Basically what they say about Sacto is it's an hour from anywhere you want to be.

Quote:
All are more isolated and colder than Reno.

But all are considerably colder than San Diego.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Green River, Utah is close to Moab - which is screaming hot in summer.

And if you need something to do in retirement - your options are limited. You're out there in the middle of nowhere and at least an hour from an airport in Colorado.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
I visited Reno before going to Albuquerque and for us it had no charm whereas ABQ had much more appeal. Being urther south the winters are milder in ABQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement