U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
Reputation: 5032

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like I said in my OP, I know EVERY criminal, drug dealer, meth head in nwa and do not intend to carry a gun while retired every place I go.

And here there are NO ice storms.
Sounds heavenly...I live in Dallas, but I know I don't want to live here when I retire...and I liked the poster's comment who said "If I can't have the ocean, give me a mountain"...I finally figured out I will NOT be able to afford retiring on the northern California coastline, so I guess I need to begin looking at the mountains. And the thought of no humidity? Again: heavenly! Cold, I can handle. Heat, humidity and bugs -- I'd rather not.

Congratulations on beginning your new life! Enjoy every moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
Reputation: 5032
Jim9251, your last photos have now got me looking at that area -- it's so beautiful and looks so peaceful...maybe I could just live in a yurt...
Again, I wish you every wonderful thing in your new life. After being a police officer and carrying a gun for 30 years, you deserve peace and beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Alaska
384 posts, read 878,127 times
Reputation: 186
jghorton - how is life in a beach condo...is there much interaction with neighbors? I LOVE your view - I keep thinking I'll be fine a mile or two in from the beach and then I see a picture like yours.

MagnoliaThunder - if you have not already...you may want to check out the top thread (wome alone...) and do a search for Wisteria's posts ...she lives a couple blocks from the beach in Santa Cruz - it looks and sounds awesome. Another poster, Nancy, moved there too. It is affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Sounds heavenly...I live in Dallas, but I know I don't want to live here when I retire...and I liked the poster's comment who said "If I can't have the ocean, give me a mountain"...I finally figured out I will NOT be able to afford retiring on the northern California coastline, so I guess I need to begin looking at the mountains. And the thought of no humidity? Again: heavenly! Cold, I can handle. Heat, humidity and bugs -- I'd rather not.
You might want to take a look at Northern Arizona - the White Mountains area (one town is Show Low) or Rim Country (one town is Payson). Gorgeous country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 07:20 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,493,889 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Clinic in town, nearest hospital is 20 minutes away.
Better hope you never have a medical emergency !

When I lived that far from an emergency room the local wits called the local cemetery our "emergency room" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,106 posts, read 12,494,246 times
Reputation: 26212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Better hope you never have a medical emergency !

When I lived that far from an emergency room the local wits called the local cemetery our "emergency room" .
I hope I don't either. Where I used to live, the local regional hospital was 5 miles away, which was 20 minutes with traffic. Here, Paramedics are seconds away from me. The days of "load and go" are long past. Stabilize the patient first, then transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Reputation: 14870
More pictures please, Jim!
Got snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
Reputation: 5032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
More pictures please, Jim!
Got snow?

I second that -- more photos please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
Reputation: 5032
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
MagnoliaThunder - if you have not already...you may want to check out the top thread (wome alone...) and do a search for Wisteria's posts ...she lives a couple blocks from the beach in Santa Cruz - it looks and sounds awesome. Another poster, Nancy, moved there too. It is affordable.

Thanks! I have been in touch with Wisteria when I first read her posts -- unfortunately, the places I saw required astronomical fees to rent the land -- in other words, you could buy a wonderful modular home for very little, but their monthly fees for the land ranged from $1600+ a month to more than $2300 a month...too high for me to pay for something I don't own...but I do need to get back with her to be sure I was looking at the location where she lives instead of another. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Reputation: 16299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Thanks! I have been in touch with Wisteria when I first read her posts -- unfortunately, the places I saw required astronomical fees to rent the land -- in other words, you could buy a wonderful modular home for very little, but their monthly fees for the land ranged from $1600+ a month to more than $2300 a month...too high for me to pay for something I don't own...but I do need to get back with her to be sure I was looking at the location where she lives instead of another. Thanks for the reminder.
I think Wisteria pays around $500 or so for lot rental. If you search on the sticky "Women retiring......" you'll find it I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top