Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,591,966 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gotten an email from NARFE regarding the Health Care Reform Bill, two amendments threaten the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP). It is NOT a good plan, let me tell you. I cannot cut and paste to here, but if anyone would let me forward it to them, they could post it!

And, if you are retited, you should consider joining NARFE, I let my membership lapse for a while, but just renewed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
I've been a member for years - joined long before I retired. The three best things about the National Active and Retired Federal Employees organization:

1. They lobby Congress on behalf of federal employees and retirees. You might not think that would be necessary, since members of Congress are federal employees, but it is.

2. They publish an excellent magazine, and the Q&A section is especially useful.

3. The member part of their website includes an easy-to-use feature of sending emails to Senators and Congressmen. I used it yesterday to send a note to my Senators about the proposed changes to the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
You need to ask yourself, if the Democrats control the White House, Senate and House, why would Republican amendment proposals scare them? The Democrats should have the votes/clout to defeat/ignore anything Republicans propose. And the Unions support the Democrats, right?

The truth is, and always has been since the beginning of this President’s term, the Democrats can’t control some elected people in their own party who don't like the reckless spending. The Federal Employee unions just want to shift the focus away from straying Democrats by creating an illusion that Republicans (with no power) are to blame...at least, this time.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You need to ask yourself, if the Democrats control the White House, Senate and House, why would Republican amendment proposals scare them? The Democrats should have the votes/clout to defeat/ignore anything Republicans propose. And the Unions support the Democrats, right?

The truth is, and always has been since the beginning of this President’s term, the Democrats can’t control some elected people in their own party who don't like the reckless spending. The Federal Employee unions just want to shift the focus away from straying Democrats by creating an illusion that Republicans (with no power) are to blame...at least, this time.
If you don't like Federal Employee Unions then why stick your two cents in here. If it were up to the Republicans there would be no Social Security or Medicare, nor would Federal Employees get pensions but that's not the issue here.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
If you call FERS a pension.......I'd give up my first born for a CSRS retirement right about now and I'm 28......

Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM

819 posts, read 1,591,966 times
At 28 you would only be eligible for FERS. CSRS is for the oldies out there. I was lucky and retired with both.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
Has anyone gotten an email from NARFE regarding the Health Care Reform Bill, two amendments threaten the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP).
As a follow-up to this, the Senate Finance Committee unanimously accepted an amendment to the Baucus bill that will have members of Congress and their staff move from FEHBP to the state-based health exchanges. FEHBP would remain as the employer-based health care plan for all other federal employees and retirees. This may or may not be in the final legislation.

In other federal employee/retiree news from Congress, the Congressional conference committee charged with merging the House and Senate versions of the FY2010 Defense Appropriation bill have included several NARFE-backed changes to the civil service system.

From a NARFE email:

"The final agreement would allow federal agencies to re-employ federal retirees on a limited, part-time basis without offset of annuity; permit Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) workers to initially credit half, and later all, of their unused sick leave toward retirement; and provide for retirement equity for Federal employees in Hawaii , Alaska and the U.S. Territories. The Conference Agreement is expected to pass the House and Senate."

Getting credit toward retirement for unused sick leave is especially good news for FERS employees.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
You can bet once the congress changes the other employeees won't be far behind.In the end they want all to be part of the new healthcare system no matter what.In coming years I have no doubt that any contribution by a employerr will be viewed as taxable income ;they tried this time will again when its not the top issue at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement