Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I lived in Taos (NM) for a year, and it does have some of the qualities you want--including a small and growing Jewish Community Center. But this part of New Mexico is prohibitively expensive. Santa Fe is equally expensive. Albuquerque still has affordable areas, but the temperature is generally 10-20 degrees higher.

In the Las Cruces and Silver City area housing is less, but the heat was unbearable when I visited in summer--but not as humid as you'd find in the Eastern South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Norm,

I've got a suggestion for you! Why not try one of the retirement places rated guides where you can select a place using your own criteria. If you go to Google and search "Retirement Places Rated" you'd be amazed at what you'll come up with.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Norm,

I've got a suggestion for you! Why not try one of the retirement places rated guides where you can select a place using your own criteria. If you go to Google and search "Retirement Places Rated" you'd be amazed at what you'll come up with.
For the most part what I found were web sites that were selling books. I did take one test and the town that came up #1, Las Curces, NM, heads my list too.

Norm

Old 05-14-2007, 07:26 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
So you'll send us all a postcard from Las Curces, NM when you move there next week?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM

I wish it was next week.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Las Vegas! There's a lot to do there!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Norm, come and check out our lovely desert. Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells (California).

Low to no humidity, gorgeous winters, vibrant thriving Jewish community (my husband is Jewish), lots of things to do and you can probably get a nice condo in your price range.

One and a half to two hours from beaches and mountains and CA has the best wineries.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 AM

31 posts, read 91,467 times
Default Las Cruces

Norm

I grew up in El Paso (30' east of Cruces) and used to love going there for the day, lunch, etc. It had a wonderful artist colony, great Mexican restaurants and the drive was beautiful through the pecan orchards following the Rio Grande (longer than the 30' interstate drive). Whenever I visit EP, we always make a trek to LC. Everything I read about it becoming a great retirement area is probably true - NM State is good-sized, the climate is great (even hot summer days cool down at night so that most summer nights one can sleep with open windows), and the people are just so friendly and welcoming. The most negative thing (for me) is its relative isolation. Even my hometown is too isolated for me now. And I suspect the major airport is still El Paso which is probably a haul through one of the mountain passes, but you can mapquest that to be sure.

I have wonderful memories of Las Cruces (as do my friends who grew up in west El Paso) -- it was a smaller town with character. By now, it's probably not so small (I visit the usual, old haunts and can't say I see much else than the old plaza area with art galleries!) and offers more than it once did. It would certainly be worth a visit if it ticks all your boxes!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Twinkle Toes,

The areas you mentioned are much too hot. 110 is hot even when it's dry heat. also we want a house not a condo.

Thanks anyway.

mckg,

LasCruces sounds better and better the more I learn about it. The population is now near 100,00.

Norm

Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Flagstaff, AZ!!! Your price range would be hard, but not impossible. It has everything you mention and, in case, you're not familiar w/that part of AZ, it has 4 seasons--does not get super hot in summers, gets some snow in winter, beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement