Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Back to the OP.
I happened to find something, that brings some light to where the OP is comming from:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/856734-lost-dream.html
Actually, he seems to be a nice person, somewhat depressed/unhappy. However, he is pursuing his dream, as revealed later in the above thread.
paul pan, thank you for the "due diligence". You really never know what is going on in someone else's life and i appreciate that you took the time to look up something on the poster. Funny, i thought i was the only "weirdo" that did that but sometimes someone says something that i want to have a better perspective on where that person is coming from. Helps prevent "shooting from the lip".

Artangel, we've talked before and I appreciate your input as well. You also paused and wondered about the state of mind of the OP. I also appreciate several other posters (including the US citizen living in Southern Europe - sorry, forgot your name but appreciated your spirit).

I won't just give a blanket statement that this is the best little country in the whole wide world. I've always loved my country & know we have some wonderful things. I also know that we have had some not so proud moments and part of utilizing my education is being able to love my country and respect that others love theirs for equally good reasons/and to admit that we don't have all the answers and never have. Things are far from perfect here and I know only too well how quickly one can experience a significant life change that alters your "position". Maybe we all need to experience that to feel empathy when others are going through incredibly traumatic times.

Despite protests that anyone can make it if they just try, I know from experience that there are things you can't escape and you work from there if you can and sometimes you just can't. I'm very thankful that I have had many factors in my favor and was able to take advantage of opportunities that life brought me. And i'm actually thankful that I learned some hard lessons (and am still learning them) because it makes me reflect on my own "bumper sticker" mentality from either end of an argument and perhaps wait for "the rest of the story" (with a tip of the hat to Paul Harvey).

Aughg - forget the name of the last poster, but thanks for acknowledging you got pissed off - we all do - ain't life grand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
At 45 I was in your position, at 53 I retired and have live comfortably ever since. Hang in there you never know what is around the corner

Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Living homeless at the age of 60 or so, after my parents are gone, is nitemare. I will find a way to excape this nightmare. I will not live in a nursing home or on the street when I'm that old. Rather die!!! God dam this country and all that ever were trusted to run it.
You know, it's expensive to live in Hawaii. And if you aren't working, you won't be able to retire so don't worry about it. You're an exterminator. If you like that work and you like warmer weather, go look for a job and live someplace cheaper and warmer and where the bugs are. It's not going to get any easier if you wait longer.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're right. It really rubbed me the wrong way at the time, and I did go a little overboard. I guess I'm a patriot and just don't see any reason for putting up with someone who doesn't live here criticizing our country.
Uh huh. And of course you'd never criticize a country you don't live in, right?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Uh huh. And of course you'd never criticize a country you don't live in, right?
Actually, no. If I have no first hand knowledge of your country I will not criticize it. I will, however criticize those that make assumptions about me or my country that have no first hand current experience. That includes anyone who has never lived here and those who used to and bailed.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
Thanks for your gracious acknowledgement, Tek Freek. I'm relieved to hear that from you! And hello to TriciaJeanne!!! Will message again. Paulpan--so nice of you to look up the OP's other thread and refer us to it. I did read the entire thread, and does sound like the OP is feeling more hopeful. Maybe things will straighten out for him, as it sounds like he's willing to work to make his dream happen. I can tell you from personal experience that when you feel you have no hope whatsoever, it's difficult to keep going, let alone keep going forward. Best wishes to all of you!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Bugboy911, I apologize. If I had read your other post that was linked to I would have responded differently. It sounds to me like you need to get out of New York and find a more relaxed atmosphere in which to live.

I wish you all the luck required to get where you need to be.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:45 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Actually, no. If I have no first hand knowledge of your country I will not criticize it. I will, however criticize those that make assumptions about me or my country that have no first hand current experience. That includes anyone who has never lived here and those who used to and bailed.
I guess since I only lived in the US for 48 years I'm not entitled to criticize it, huh? Bailed?? You assume you know why me or anyone would move to another country? Guess you're like those who assume any American who would dare move away must be escaping something or that they hate the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement