Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 PM

32 posts, read 135,307 times

Advertisements

I was born in Rhode Island and I have a "Wicked cool" accent. Living in Houston TX now. Everyone loves my accent and they think it is cute. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
My wife is from RI. She doesn't pronounce her R's and she says "ear" and "air" the same. She also says "chowda" for chowder. But she's a genius. She was reading by age 1 and reading medical textbooks by age 4. Dialects and speech patterns in general are not indicative of intelligence. Linguists have done a lot of research on what goes into dialects, and what they have found is that how someone speaks is a factor of region, class, gender, and other social factors, but is not a factor of that person's intelligence. You can look up dialectology and sociolinguistics to find out more and if you want to understand more about how dialects work.

BTW we live in the South now and people think her accent is awesome here too.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Native accents are fine, except when you can't understand what the heck they are saying. I once had a guy try to explain to me how to get somewhere. It took me about ten minutes before I realized he was telling me the location was near the airport (ay-uh-paht).
It took me two years of knowing my wife before I realized when she was saying "spare" she meant "sphere"! Lol. I felt so stupid when I finally figured it out.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

17 posts, read 61,333 times
Well,I'm from Mass.,and I didn't realise I had a accent,until I went to N.Carolina,and people said I did. We don"t pronounce are Rs such as Worcester (Woosta) car (cah) or Harvard(Havid) and so on. I am moving to N.Carolina this spring,and will bring my (accent) with me!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 14,257 times
What accent? I live in southern RI, and although we have an accent, as everyone does, everyone can pronounce their rs and uses faitly proper grammar. We are lazy on ours ts, though...then again, my school is one of the best ranked in the state.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 PM

213 posts, read 551,131 times
My wife is from Cranston. Her accent is one of the many things that attracted me to her. She will point out that she may drop her R’s, but I will put them in where they don’t belong.
“I am going to warsh the car”

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM

110 posts, read 376,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToLetItGo View Post
How many years ago was that spelling bee? It just may be time to let go that you were tossed from the first round of your first spelling bee competition!!!! You say potatoe, I say potato
Tell that to Dan Quayle!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM

110 posts, read 376,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
No love for Al Cerrone??

The cah commercials may be one of my most endearing RI memories!
The Farrelly Brothers used part of the Al Cerrone commercial in their movie, "Kingpin".

Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM

423 posts, read 646,858 times
Just watch Family Guy

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM

504 posts, read 616,602 times
I am from VT, but I have family in Rhode Island and I do not think their accent makes them sound stupid. Would you say that because I say gonna and I don't articulate my t's well I would sound stupid probably not so don't judge a persons intelligence by their accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island