Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM

104 posts, read 273,334 times

Advertisements

Thanks IM.

Frankly, I like frankness. I live in France now and I understand how frankness is often misperceived (esp by we Americans) as being rude or aloof – and sometimes it is. But at least it ain't fake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Also, when surveyed many Americans of English extraction simply identify as "Americans". In Southern New England, I am willing to bet English stock is more pervasive than the self-reporting would indicate.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
welcome to Rhode Island and it was nice meeting you last week by chance. Hope you are filling up an album with the pictures you were taking.
It was great meeting you too! Here are my set so far! Met another Rhode Islander on one of the bridges looking out towards the IWay Bridge (?)...telling me about that area and that view! Love love meeting all of you. I took too many photos but was excited if you remember.....and plan on taking tons around the state!

Providence Broad-Weybosset Street 2014-03-17 - WilBSnodgrassIII

Providence River Westminster 2014-03-17 - WilBSnodgrassIII

I got you in one of these photos (at least part of you...before we talked)
Providence-College Hill 2014-03-18 - WilBSnodgrassIII

Providence-Brown University-River 2014-03-18 - WilBSnodgrassIII

Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
I love these pictures of Providence! Very nice and definitely a very cool vibe captured in these shots. The gentrification process is very obvious in many parts of the city indeed!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
Thanks IM.

Frankly, I like frankness. I live in France now and I understand how frankness is often misperceived (esp by we Americans) as being rude or aloof – and sometimes it is. But at least it ain't fake!
If you live in France, particularly Paris, you may be accustomed to a type of directness encountered in Rhode Island. Except, I wouldn't term Rhode Islands as aloof (maybe sometimes rude ). Many here just don't find it good manners to always smile to others when they're not actually smiling on the inside. But, I'm with you, I like frankness and you'll find plenty of it in RI.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 AM

171 posts, read 308,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-j View Post
I moved here in January from DC and I sure don't miss all the pretentious, obnoxious people I left back home. I live in Wayland Square and I love it! I love being able to walk across the street to grab a cappucino from Artisans and just driving 10 minutes to Federal Hill to get fresh handmade pasta to finally stopping by Lim's for some carryout pad kee mow... Now I'm still a proud newbie to RI so if anyone has any recommendations for food, sights, things-to-do then I'm all ears :] I have been looking for a good bikram studio....
I saw a sign in the window of The Olive Tap on Angell Street that says they sell Venda Ravioli products. You don't even have to drive to Federal Hill now.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
With an uptick in negativity around here lately, I just tried to start a new thread called "What I love about Rhode Island," but C-D helpfully informed me that it already exists. So ... BUMP!

I'd like this thread to be a hater-free zone. (I think that's the first time I've ever used the word "hater" non-ironically, by the way.) If anyone posts anything negative, I will quote it and reply with, "Mods, please delete this post." The mods won't do anything because nobody violated any rules, but I'm going to reply anyway.

I plan on updating this when the inspiration hits, but a few for now:

The water everywhere. The famous stat is that every single person in Rhode Island lives less than an hour away from either the Atlantic Ocean or Narragansett Bay. Few things make me happier than looking at our beautiful coastline. Last weekend I took a day trip to Bristol, one of my favorite places, and gazed out at the bay before heading to Trafford in Warren for a waterfront dinner. It was spectacular.

The attitude toward religion. Public discussion of religion makes me uncomfortable, and Rhode Islanders agree. This is the most Catholic state in America, but I've found that pretty much nobody talks about religion, ever, for any reason. Even when I lived in ultra-secular New York City, religion wasn't this absent from the public sphere. I'm friends with a number of people here who are more religiously observant than I am, but they live their lives and it never comes up, and that's how everybody likes it.

Gooseberry Beach. My favorite beach north of Long Island. Absolutely stunning, white sand, great concessions, rocks you can wade out to and climb on.

Newport in general. People know it best for the mansions, but it also has what I believe is the largest collection of colonial-era architecture in the United States. So in one little place, you can experience two different historical periods.

The state parks. A surprisingly good collection, from Lincoln Woods to waterfront Colt to Goddard, right around the corner from me. Beavertail, Brenton Point, the hits keep coming. Some states have huge wilderness areas that are more like national parks. We don't, but our style of state park is more my thing anyway.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
All that every body else just said and more:

like the endless events and things to do around here!

music, dance, lectures, festivals, events at the nearby universities, outdoor markets- so much to do I can't even scratch the surface and if local occasions aren't enough, add in all that's happening in CT and MA. If you're bored around here, you're just not trying.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
It's cheap as heck.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

325 posts, read 311,829 times
I love the walking path on Blackstone Boulevard. I can't tell you how many days, and nights, that a brisk 3.234 mile walk on her has helped me keep my sanity. Though some might debate the latter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island