Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

10,034 posts, read 15,687,275 times

Advertisements

It's getting to be very tiresome to read posts where the thread subject has been abandoned and members fight among themselves over who is and who is not allowed to post here.

Let me make it clear to all of you, If you live here, USED TO LIVE HERE, or are interested in Rhode Island at all, you are welcome to visit and contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
As RNR says, my comments were not directed at you. I was responding to the attitude you so well described.

On reflection, I would guess this attitude only extends to whites born in RI?, i.e. would a Hispanic born here have the same ownership rights to the state? I think I know the answer to that one.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM

490 posts, read 1,098,770 times
I no longer live in RI, and I am certain I will never move back to RI during my lifetime. If, God forbid, my parents can no longer take care of themselves and/or live on their own without assistance, they will be more than welcome to move in with me wherever I may be living, or they can move in with my brother. I am certain they'd rather move in with me, regardless of where I end up.

Yes, I am a disgruntled former RI resident, and there are many things I dislike about the state. I'm not going to keep reiterating that. However, despite what you all think, I do have a vested interest in the state. It is where I was born and raised; it is where my parents, my brother, much of my extended family, and nearly all of my childhood friends still live and probably always will.

If I end up moving to TX from FL; a move I've been considering for quite some time now to be around more young, educated, white-collar professionals; I won't really be affected all that much if S. FL gets swallowed up by a huge tsunami, obliterated by a major hurricane, or becomes a war-torn Haitian province. My connections to S. FL are superficial and shallow-rooted unlike my connections to RI which are deep-rooted.

To the guy from Manhattan, if you end up moving away from RI after a few years or a few decades, your connections to the state will never be as strong as mine are. RI is to you as S. FL is to me. If you end up hating RI, you would be able to move away and never look back or worry. Well, it's not that easy for most of us. Those of us who grew up here will always be connected to the state, whether we like it or not.

That is the reason why all of us former residents, QC included, post on the RI forum: Because we care about the state and the people who still live there.

Don't get it twisted.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,748 times
Yes, I can tell from your posts that you care so much.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,460,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post

Yes, I am a disgruntled former RI resident, and there are many things I dislike about the state. I'm not going to keep reiterating that.
But you do. In nearly every post, you do.

Quote:
To the guy from Manhattan, if you end up moving away from RI after a few years or a few decades, your connections to the state will never be as strong as mine are. RI is to you as S. FL is to me. If you end up hating RI, you would be able to move away and never look back or worry. Well, it's not that easy for most of us. Those of us who grew up here will always be connected to the state, whether we like it or not.
The "guy from Manhattan" has a name and it's Alfie.

I just can't comprehend your passive/aggressive musings about the state you claim to be your own sacred turf. I mean, it's not like you're Roger Williams (whose grave I can clearly see from my apartment). If you loved it so much, why did you leave? And as you left, why do you bother carping on its supposed shortcomings endlessly? Yes, you have a right to post to your heart's desire, but where is the love you profess to hold for your ex-homeland? Where are the posts of positive memories? A difference between us is you won't find me posting on the Manhattan forum about all the negative things I left behind -- how much it sucks and how there's no hope. I left under my own steam and I embrace my new life, and I will hold dear to the good times I had and let go of the bad things; you seem trapped in the past.

You're right about one thing. If and when I leave RI, I won't hold a grudge, I'll simply leave and I will hold dear to the good times and let go of the bad. Why can't you do the same? Why this big drama about times long passed? After all, no one put a gun to your head and made you leave -- you did it of your OWN volition. Take ownership of that decision and comport yourself accordingly -- that's my advice.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-25-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
I no longer live in RI, and I am certain I will never move back to RI during my lifetime. If, God forbid, my parents can no longer take care of themselves and/or live on their own without assistance, they will be more than welcome to move in with me wherever I may be living, or they can move in with my brother. I am certain they'd rather move in with me, regardless of where I end up.

Yes, I am a disgruntled former RI resident, and there are many things I dislike about the state. I'm not going to keep reiterating that. However, despite what you all think, I do have a vested interest in the state. It is where I was born and raised; it is where my parents, my brother, much of my extended family, and nearly all of my childhood friends still live and probably always will.

If I end up moving to TX from FL; a move I've been considering for quite some time now to be around more young, educated, white-collar professionals; I won't really be affected all that much if S. FL gets swallowed up by a huge tsunami, obliterated by a major hurricane, or becomes a war-torn Haitian province. My connections to S. FL are superficial and shallow-rooted unlike my connections to RI which are deep-rooted.

That is the reason why all of us former residents, QC included, post on the RI forum: Because we care about the state and the people who still live there.

Don't get it twisted.

Well, you see, WhatUp ... it has gotten twisted. Even after several warnings and comments by the moderator, the bashing and name calling continues. Of course we care, we still have our families living there and many of us may still have property and pay taxes there and in other states as well. It is no one's business quite frankly; we do not have to defend our opinions, we do not play childish name-calling games, it is beneath us. But we absolutely do have the right to express our opinions in a free society on a forum that is an opinion forum; and a forum where others come to get advice. Newcomers reading this forum must be appalled and wonder how they could possibly get the proper balance of what is good and what is not good about a state or a particular neighborhood by some of the off balance comments thrown out by a lot of one sided snake spitting.

There are two sides to every coin.

Forgot to mention, one of my dear friends who now winters in SW FL would never move back to RI, under any circumstances, and also has a summer home in Dennis MA. ... I love her bumper sticker which says "I [heart] Cranston". LOL ! You can love your friends and relatives and you can love your old neighbors; doesn't mean you have to stay there for the rest of your life. If you move to Timbucktoo and don't care for it for one reason or another, it is okay to give your opinion from experience as to why you didn't care for it when you leave. TaDa !

To all of us who left and know why we left, we paid the price and we get it.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-25-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,460,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Well, you see, WhatUp ... it is twisted. Even after several warnings and comments by the moderator, the bashing and name calling continues.

Several "warnings?" Several? Warnings? I see one comment by the mod (one that does not apply to my posts) and I see zero "warnings." Can you point out these supposed "warnings? Thanks. Second, what name calling do you refer? Specifics, please.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
Quote:
That is the reason why all of us former residents, QC included, post on the RI forum: Because we care about the state and the people who still live there. .
Excuse me, but could you point to the evidence of this? How does posting repetitive negative comments show that you- or QC for that matter- care about the state and the people who live here? Are your posts truly intended to be caring and helpful?

No one has said you or anyone on this forum are not allowed to post at all as the moderator intimated.
Some of us do question posts that constitute trolling and baiting.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,748 times
So continually advising people not to move to Rhode Island helps our state how?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 18,764,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
So continually advising people not to move to Rhode Island helps our state how?
RI needs to get its act together from within if it ever wants to climb out of the doldrums. Giving some starry-eyed newcomer (who will likely be gone in a few years when they fail at employment or just "wake up and smell the coffee") false hopes are not good for either themselves or the state. Yes there are a few (in select career fields or with certain interests/needs) who RI might make sense for, but the truth still needs to be told so that they are aware of what they are getting themselves into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island