Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I do not find NH boring at all
Wow, it's almost as if one's perception of where they live is largely......subjective. I happen to find New Hampshire to be a fine place to visit. Would be exorbitantly boring to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
First of all I didn't say a word about Mass, the topic of the moment was a comparison of taxes between RI and NH. With that said, reading comprehension was never a strongpoint around here.

But now that you bring MA into the conversation, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about with any of the points you bring up. I don't know ANYONE in MA paying $8500 in property taxes no matter what size of house.
Apparently you don't know a lot of people who live in these areas. I have another friend who lives on Far Reach Rd, (its a development) in Westwood, 5500 sq ft, who pays $17,500 in property taxes. Westwood has no access to natural gas, communities forced to heat with oil are often not saving anything with lower taxes.

Quote:
Those towns you mention are among the more underwhelming parts of the state, but things they do offer are top notch schools and a high quality of life (yes they do spend a lot on education). Save for maybe Barrington, E. Greenwich, and a few others; the RI schools don't come anywhere close to the educational achievement levels of much of MA.
Underwhelming? Usually this means failing to make any positive impression. Virtually everything inside the Rt 128 loop is more expensive than the majority of RI tax wise, and inside 495 is also very expensive, this thread is about property taxes.

Quote:
And the most out there thing you suggest is of the Boston area lacking in entertainment and restaurants. Did I read that correctly??? Have you not been to the N. End?
Yes, I've been to the north end, and I remember it vividly, particularly during the 70's; at that time it was more affordable, it is now all very expensive, with next to no parking. Public transportation has also gone up considerably as well. Very familiar with Boston, didn't move to RI until the 80's, my point is, per capita there is probably a much wider range of things to do in RI, more affordably, in closer distance. Collectively, RI is the better deal in many circumstances.

Quote:
Chain restaurants that can't survive? Bertucci's is a Boston based chain!!! There are Olive Gardens here as well. But who really needs those anyway with all the local offerings available. There are plenty of bargains in the Boston area, you just apparently don't know where to look.
I'm aware of that, I know there are chain restaurants, but not as many per capita, and you have to drive further, as far as convenience, there is not as much available proportionately, and Boston is very expensive, often with difficult, or very expensive parking.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
125 Westfield Drive, East Greenwich RI

Older home built in 1994
On market now for $919,000
Square footage approx. 5200 sq. ft.

Taxes: $16,050. per year

Proof, right here:

Riliving

Several others, do a meaningful search before spouting off.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Older home built in 1994

Proof, right here:

Riliving

Ah, speaking of doing research, perhaps reading the entire thread would assist you in making a positive contribution to this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They just come on here to diss RI- even when NO ONE has asserted that property taxes here are low!!! NO ONE is saying that RI has a LOW cost of living (even though that's off topic for this thread). The only "dissent" was in how much or in the fact that RI -just possibly- might offer things that other states don't. But that "logic" is far too subtle for them.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Older home built in 1994

Proof, right here:

Riliving

I am not sure if that tax amount reflects what is actually paid if the home owner is eligible for a homestead exemption up to 20% or if the buyer is also eligible for a senior exemption.

If you want low property taxes check out Little Compton. We should all declare war on that town and immediately surrender to their propoerty tax rate.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I am not sure if that tax amount reflects what is actually paid if the home owner is eligible for a homestead exemption up to 20% or if the buyer is also eligible for a senior exemption.

If you want low property taxes check out Little Compton. We should all declare war on that town and immediately surrender to their propoerty tax rate.

It is from the Rhode Island MLS today; it is what the taxes are on that property, now, and going forward for the next buyer. Do a quick search Mark on RI Living Dot Com which is the MLS and you will be amazed at the facts. When you pull up a listing after entering your search criteria, click on "features and amenities" and that is where you find the statistics. (Not many buyers lusting after near million $ homes that would "need" a senior exemption either.) MLS# 1040674 ACTIVE Click on the listing link I provided above.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Wow, it's almost as if one's perception of where they live is largely......subjective. I happen to find New Hampshire to be a fine place to visit. Would be exorbitantly boring to live in.
That's funny. While I love visiting RI's fantastic beaches and a night out on Federal Hill, I would never live there. One of the prime reasons for that are the property taxes (and car taxes, and auto insurance among many things)!

Just what do you get from those higher taxes that you do not from these other states? People go on about the restaurants and those things, but that has nothing to do with property taxes nor do they justify the higher tax rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162
Apparently you don't know a lot of people who live in these areas. I have another friend who lives on Far Reach Rd, (its a development) in Westwood, 5500 sq ft, who pays $17,500 in property taxes. Westwood has no access to natural gas, communities forced to heat with oil are often not saving anything with lower taxes.
How about an apples to apples comparison for a change. So far the only examples cited are Seekonk/Rehoboth (lower-density affluent bedroom towns with limited services) and Boston's wealthiest suburbs in comparison to Providence.

Home in providence.

115 Modena Ave, Providence, RI 02908 - Zillow

Similar home in Worcester, MA (similar neighborhood/similar city), notice taxes are over $1,000 less.

51 Mary Ann Dr, Worcester, MA 01606 - Zillow

Another similarly priced home in Attleboro, MA (city with water/sewer and natural gas, close to Providence). Now we are $2000 less in taxes.

240 Park Cir, Attleboro, MA 02703 - Zillow

Now similarly priced home in Cranston (city comparable to Attleboro), taxes jump over $1700!

40 Wildwood Dr, Cranston, RI 02920 - Zillow

Salem, NH. Taxes are nearly identical to the Cranston house, yet no state income or sales tax!

31 Matthias St, Salem, NH 03079 - Zillow

Exactly what are you getting from RI?
Quote:
Underwhelming? Usually this means failing to make any positive impression. Virtually everything inside the Rt 128 loop is more expensive than the majority of RI tax wise, and inside 495 is also very expensive, this thread is about property taxes.

Not in the more average areas inside 128, you were only talking about the exclusive areas.

I had to up the asking prices here a bit, but the taxes still came in significantly lower than either of the RI properties.

Quincy.

37 Randlett St, Quincy, MA 02170 - Zillow

Boston (Hyde Park).

34 Como Rd, Boston, MA 02136 - Zillow

Medford.

751 Fellsway W, Medford, MA 02155 - Zillow

But yes Greater Boston has gotten way too expensive in general, one of the reasons I'm gone. Still, it cannot be compared with anywhere in RI. For that you would have to look towards SE MA or Central MA.

For underwhelming I meant generally boring with nothing remarkable to offer other than high end suburban living (not that that's always a bad thing).

Quote:
my point is, per capita there is probably a much wider range of things to do in RI, more affordably, in closer distance. Collectively, RI is the better deal in many circumstances.
Per capita you may be correct, but I did not realize that the topic had again changed (before you were talking about overall). I still don't know what that has to do with property taxes.

Quote:
I'm aware of that, I know there are chain restaurants, but not as many per capita, and you have to drive further, as far as convenience, there is not as much available proportionately, and Boston is very expensive, often with difficult, or very expensive parking.
So what is this a pissing contest about who has more chain restaurants? I'll happily concede that battle to you even though I'm not sure you're really correct (nor do I care). I probably have a dozen of those within a short drive of me if I have a craving for that mediocre crap (not talking about Texas Roadhouse of course). So should I want to pay more in property taxes just so I can say I have more chains per capita nearby? Whatever. You seem to forget that most of us outside of RI do not live in the center of Boston.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-28-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Wow, I leave for two days and things got quite feisty.

I didn't mean to diss RIers at all. I am just quite honestly surprised by how high the property tax burden is, in addition to all the other taxes people in RI pay. For that kind of money I'm expecting NH-like test scores (which has one of the highest PISA and NAEP scores in the country), not a string of failing schools like I see in Providence and many of the nearby towns.

In a democracy, you only get what you want when you complain and whine. If you don't complain even when things are going poorly (#48 state in unemployment) and if you still keep electing the same bastards in, then you don't have a democracy anymore, you have single party rule.

Rhode Island could be in a very good position with some simple policy changes and a few strategies to draw tech firms from Greater Boston area. But it's damn tough bargain to sell when you're more expensive than Massachusetts and have an even more dysfunctional and sclerotic government.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
MassNative, the property taxes are the one of the few things here I have always disparaged. (Also the drivers!) But other than that I love it here more than anywhere else for a multitude of reasons that I really don't feel like going over for the billionth time. And I've been all over the Western World.

It is what it is.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Wow, I leave for two days and things got quite feisty.

I didn't mean to diss RIers at all. I am just quite honestly surprised by how high the property tax burden is, in addition to all the other taxes people in RI pay. For that kind of money I'm expecting NH-like test scores (which has one of the highest PISA and NAEP scores in the country), not a string of failing schools like I see in Providence and many of the nearby towns.

In a democracy, you only get what you want when you complain and whine. If you don't complain even when things are going poorly (#48 state in unemployment) and if you still keep electing the same bastards in, then you don't have a democracy anymore, you have single party rule.

Rhode Island could be in a very good position with some simple policy changes and a few strategies to draw tech firms from Greater Boston area. But it's damn tough bargain to sell when you're more expensive than Massachusetts and have an even more dysfunctional and sclerotic government.

That's right Guineas; Rhode Island historically is one of the least business friendly states; and more companies, large and small, have moved out than have moved in. Tech companies are not going to be attracted to RI because of a history of problems as mentioned herein.

There are huge tech company parks and a business friendly environment in MA, an international airport, etc. etc., along with highly educated demographics and stellar universities and medical facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island