Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM

128 posts, read 244,053 times

Advertisements

The wife and I will be flying into Providence around lunch time Oct 9th. We plan on spending a few days there and then drive into Boston and then down to Conn. Since we will be in Providence for a couple of days can anyone recommend any thing that's a must see or do for a couple of out of towners?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:16 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane93nc View Post
The wife and I will be flying into Providence around lunch time Oct 9th. We plan on spending a few days there and then drive into Boston and then down to Conn. Since we will be in Providence for a couple of days can anyone recommend any thing that's a must see or do for a couple of out of towners?
Thanks
Maybe a stroll up and down Atwells Ave. (the Little Italy). There are several entertainment options depending on your interests. Be sure to take a drive around College Hill and the East Side (lots of good historic architecture there).

If you get bored in Providence, a good little side trip might be to the town of Bristol and Colt State Park.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM

4,403 posts, read 3,195,009 times
That's just before Columbus Day weekend, right?

Just a short drive south from Providence the Scituate Art Fair is always a good time. With its rural setting outdoors among the changing leaves, it always the definitive New England experience to me. And - apple pie! Or johnnycakes, something you'll only find in RI. Scituate Art Festival

Federal Hill, the historically Italian section of the city, aka Restaurant Row, will have a Columbus Day celebration and parade as well. Columbus Day Festival 2013 | Federal Hill, Providence

And of course, you could just walk around downtown Providence and the East Side, visit the Providence Place Mall, RISD Art Museum, stroll down Benefit Street and Thayer Street or through Roger Williams Park (and Zoo).

Or you could go to Newport, and check out the mansions, shopping and actually get a parking space because all the tourists are gone!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM

54 posts, read 89,888 times
It may be difficult flying into Providence, as there is no airport in Providence.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1989 View Post
It may be difficult flying into Providence, as there is no airport in Providence.
You know you say that....................having lived in Warwick for a good part of my life I always get a chuckle when people tell me they are flying into Providence. As a Rhode Islander I will always know it as T F Greene Airport

Finally got a chance to check out the new (to me) pedway over to the rental cars this past weekend......pretty sweet

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
you may want to consider Roger Williams Park.
There's a zoo which has come a long way, and
you might enjoy the swan boats etc.
La Gondola, inc. - U.S.A.
http://www.providenceri.com/parks-and-rec/boating

Old 09-27-2013, 05:05 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Maybe a stroll up and down Atwells Ave. (the Little Italy). There are several entertainment options depending on your interests. Be sure to take a drive around College Hill and the East Side (lots of good historic architecture there).

If you get bored in Providence, a good little side trip might be to the town of Bristol and Colt State Park.
Atwells Ave really isn't Little Italy anymore. Hasn't been for years. Sure there are major aspects of that, but there is also Jamaican, Chinese, Mexican etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
There is a Waterfire Oct. 12 in Providence. Also check this out at Roger Wms Park

The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular will run October 3 - November 3, rain or shine with admission from 6 pm to 10 pm; the trail closes at 11 pm. Admission is extended to 11 pm on Saturdays, with the trail closing at midnight. Visitors who purchase the dinner offering enjoy express entry to the pumpkin trail. The Spectacular is an important fundraiser for Roger Williams Park Zoo, with proceeds directed to support the Zoo’s environmental education and conservation efforts locally, and Zoo improvements.

you can check both Waterfire and Roger Williams Park on line.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1989 View Post

That's the ticket. Show the visitors right up front how sarcastic some RI'ers can be.

When you are waiting in a departure concourse waiting to board a plane to Rhode Island, the marquis says: (blank) to Providence departs (xx:xx) It doesn't say Warwick, and it doesn't say TF Green.

Funny how that works.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
You know you say that....................having lived in Warwick for a good part of my life I always get a chuckle when people tell me they are flying into Providence. As a Rhode Islander I will always know it as T F Greene Airport

Finally got a chance to check out the new (to me) pedway over to the rental cars this past weekend......pretty sweet
Ah, it's still known as T.F. Green (not Greene), and its official ICAO designation is PVD.

Many airports are located outside of the cities they serve. Dulles (IAD) is located in rural Virginia yet is called "Washington Dulles." Same with Washington National Airport (DCA), which is located in suburban Virginia (I refuse to call it "Ronald Reagan National Airport" as Reagan was true scum).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island