Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your "Rhodiness" Status ?
Born here, lived here virtually all of life, still here. 4 20.00%
Born here, lived here most of life, but not here now. 1 5.00%
Born elsewhere, but lived most of life here. 4 20.00%
Born elsewhere, lived most of life elsewhere, here now. 3 15.00%
Just an outsider interested in learning about RI 8 40.00%
Chicken Butt 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that only about a quarter or less of posters on this Rhode Island
subforum are true Rhode Islanders.
Where are all the real natives ? They don't post here.
Yet, migrants post like mad. Why is that ?
In back of these out-of-stater immigrants are the formerly-natives.
They don't want to live here anymore but still post about the joint.
So lets take a poll.
No, I'm not saying it matters a lot. I'm not saying migrants shouldn't post
and share their experiences and opinions.
It is however, somewhat odd.
P.S. we know who you are and if you don't vote in the poll
you are a chicken butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
From what I've seen, there are 6 residents, 1 non-resident, and 3 former residents who post here. Does that seem accurate, other than the people actually looking for advice?

Of the 10 regular posters, I'd put 5 of the residents in the "love RI" category, 1 in the "meh, it's alright category", 1 non-resident and 2 former resident in the "RI is bad" category, and the other former resident (moi) in the "like the state, but it's too cold" category

Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 AM

I chose the one that most closely matches my situation. Although I didn't live in RI for "most" of my life, I did spend over a decade in the state.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
I have had no problem with the whole "Native"/"Non-native" thing. Some natives, in fact, think I'm a native - though I could hardly guess why. The ones who know I've only been here over a decade treat me the same as everyone else. Not only that, but I find people here far more laid back and welcoming than Floridians. So I guess I don't have the same perspective on this as most.

It's a moot point to me. The only thing I find weird are those who left here, or never lived here, that hate it with a passion. It seems to be either "can't let go" syndrome, or a way of compensating for regret that they don't live here.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Ya well I'm only joking around, seeing as how everyone's yappin about it
in the other threads. Out of 22k posts in the RI subforum probably less
than 5k were posted by natives who still live here. There's only a few
I can think of who post here regularly. Out of like 1 million people.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I have had no problem with the whole "Native"/"Non-native" thing. Some natives, in fact, think I'm a native - though I could hardly guess why. The ones who know I've only been here over a decade treat me the same as everyone else. Not only that, but I find people here far more laid back and welcoming than Floridians. So I guess I don't have the same perspective on this as most.

It's a moot point to me. The only thing I find weird are those who left here, or never lived here, that hate it with a passion. It seems to be either "can't let go" syndrome, or a way of compensating for regret that they don't live here.
Could be situational, too? Maybe they got beat up in Providence? Maybe lost a job and were forced to move? Maybe can't find happiness no matter where they live? Could be a lot of things. I only come to this board and the Las Vegas board. You will find miserable people on both. It's an internal thing, IMO. I'm sure the Cancun board has the same LOL

Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Ya well I'm only joking around, seeing as how everyone's yappin about it
in the other threads. Out of 22k posts in the RI subforum probably less
than 5k were posted by natives who still live here. There's only a few
I can think of who post here regularly. Out of like 1 million people.
The other 999,995 are Instagramming photos of their food.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

go vote. hey I had a friend and his family over recently. He's a RI'er who moved to Flahrida
about 7 years ago. You know what he and his wife (who is from a Scandinavian country)
say ?
1. Florida people are stupid. (I don't know how else to put this, it's exactly what they say)
I ask for more info and they say, well, "they're just stupid". lol.
2. Florida people are backstabbers.

I mean, I've been there to Fla many years ago a few times but don't have any real insight
as to why they are saying this.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
From what I've seen, there are 6 residents, 1 non-resident, and 3 former residents who post here. Does that seem accurate, other than the people actually looking for advice?

Of the 10 regular posters, I'd put 5 of the residents in the "love RI" category, 1 in the "meh, it's alright category", 1 non-resident and 2 former resident in the "RI is bad" category, and the other former resident (moi) in the "like the state, but it's too cold" category
You forgot me! We still love RI and as mentioned my wife and daughters do spend their summers in RI and as I said we love the quirkiness of RI that being the smallest state provides.

We do love living in the small coastal town we are in now but family and friends still reside in RI and having grown up in RI it is hard to forget friends and family and the things we grew up with.

On the Jacksonville Florida forum we experience the same sort of things.............people that have left the area will tell anybody who will listen that rednecks, confederate flags, monster trucks and uneducated people abound here.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
On the Jacksonville Florida forum we experience the same sort of things.............people that have left the area will tell anybody who will listen that rednecks, confederate flags, monster trucks and uneducated people abound here.
Right, but that's actually true, as I'm sure you can attest! (I mean, outside of the panhandle, Jacksonville is the most 'redneck' urban area in the state.)

The people who say "Rhode Island is the most corrupt" or "our welfare programs are so abundant they attract people from NY/NJ" are engaging in hyperbole. That's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island