Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM

4,404 posts, read 3,197,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
From an archived Providence Journal article no longer available.

Anchor Rising: Rhode Island Welfare Statistics

"There is no national database of who has been on welfare in what state. Rhode Island officials plan on asking welfare applicants for more information about where they have been and what public assistance they received. They also hope to verify some of this information with other states. The bulk of Rhode Island�s welfare recipients come from Massachusetts, Puerto Rico, New York, Florida, Connecticut, and New Jersey."

"Two-three years ago an acquaintance who lives in NYC (he and his wife have a vacation home on Aquidneck Island) told me that he sees tons of RI license plates in the "Dominican section" of NYC. He posited that they establish "legal" residency in RI to get on welfare here, but actually live (and work?) in NYC.
Admittedly this is anectdotal, but certainly seems plausible."

It's a dark little secret known to every true RIer that I know of. Manhattan carpetbaggers could either care less, or are part of the problem...
I wish this was written clearer. I assume they mean "the bulk of RI welfare recipients who weren't always RI natives come from Mass, etc etc" but I wonder how or why that ever would have even been counted. No surprise that they come from the states surrounding us though, plus Florida.....

The "RI plates in NYC" speculation is just that - outlandish speculation. And prejudiced. After all, this NY guy spends time in RI, presumably with NY plates, but reverse the situation and a RI Dominican guy visits NYC and it must mean he's on welfare. Based on a license plate? WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Just so you guys know, "Anchor Rising" is a little right wing blog run by Justin Katz http://www.rifuture.org/ris-stink-ta...rosperity.html, that is barely any more readable than the crayola nonsense screeds posted on this forum lately.

Apparently, the tiny little Right Wing circular firing squad that keeps losing elections actually take these Koch Brothers lapdogs seriously. Why? Because of what they say, not because there is any reality-based reason for them to say it. It's the same reason they listen to Limboob. He assures them their ignorance is well placed, and makes them feel better. You will never get facts out of this crowd because that's not what they're about. They're all about "feelings", and could care less about the truth.

The sad part is, the "article" (scoff!) has no data whatsoever and is from nearly 8 years ago. With the power of google at his fingertips, that's the best he could summon up.

A cite from a right wing blog post eight years ago to an article that is no longer available about a database that has never existed. That says it all.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-08-2014 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: TOS

Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
no, i've been awaiting some objective record of these assertions myself. If the amount of new yorkers moving here has recently exploded, it shouldn't be that hard to prove, should it? Surely someone else has noticed it and documented it?
What ? I never said a thing a bout NY'ers moving there. You are confused evidently.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
I thought it was natural gas, not oil, in North Dakota?

I'll pass on the flammable water coming out of the tap, though.
I think it's oil.. could be gas. Either way, I know the economy is booming. There are first-hand reports (people I have personally spoken to) of McDonalds hiring starting at $20/hr. The problem is cost of living has skyrocketed, and there is an extreme shortage of housing in some parts of ND. Plus, it's ND. Unless you like igloos and mukluks, probably not a hospitable environment. But the money and jobs are there!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
If the amount of New Yorkers moving here has recently exploded, it shouldn't be that hard to prove, should it? Surely someone else has noticed it and documented it?

No, it's been a trend since at least the mid-80s and probably peaked in the 90s and early 00s. Anyone who doesn't see it isn't paying very close attention (or they never leave their East Side confines).

http://www.golocalprov.com/business/city-state-whos-coming-going-surprising-ri-migration-data/

"Moving out of RI: Net loss
Rhode Island does lose people to migration as a whole. The IRS estimates 39,000 net people left in the 2000s and they took almost a billion dollars in income with them when they left, though this likely understates the losses since not everybody files a tax return. But there are states from which Rhode Island does draw people. Here they are, and how many citizens our state has acquired:
#1 New York: 4,369
#2 Massachusetts: 3,018
#3 New Jersey: 1,025
#4 California: 310
#5 Illinois: 207
#6 Michigan: 154
#7 Washington: 118
#8 North Dakota: 5"

Real shocker. For Massachusetts, as the article says it's probably mostly those from MA and who still work in MA coming down for cheaper real estate. The others, I don't think so... I also find it interesting that the article didn't mention anything on "income gained" from the states where RI gained people from. Could it be that...? No!!!
"Where do Rhode Islanders most migrate to?

Of course the fact that there are only eight states from which Rhode Island gained people means that it lost people to most of the rest of them. Here are the top ten states Rhode Island lost people to:
#1 Florida: -21,304
#2 North Carolina: -4,034
#3 Virginia: -3,885
#4 Connecticut: -3,811
#5 Texas: -2,425
#6 Georgia: -2,404
#7 South Carolina: -2,326
#8 Maine: -1,594
#9 New Hampshire: -1,215
#10 Arizona -1,156"

Again, total shocker (mostly lower taxed/fewer handouts states).

"Top 10 cities that send people to Rhode Island
They IRS does not publish data at the metropolitan area level but does do it at the county level. I have on a proprietary basis rolled this up to enable metro area analysis. So looking at it from a metro area basis, here are the top ten regions from which Rhode Island draws people on a net basis:

#1 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 4,266
#2 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 4,050
#3 Salinas, CA: 1,047
#4 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT: 821
#5 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT: 447
#6 New Haven-Milford, CT: 437
#7 Jacksonville, NC: 292
#8 Springfield, MA: 223
#9 Memphis, TN-MS-AR: 175
#10 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 134
Thriving Boston and New York are actually the top source of net new Rhode Islanders! The reasons for that are beyond the scope of this article, but I will say that it is not unusual to see regions that are transforming into high end economies displace middle and working class residents to lower cost surrounding regions and it would not surprise me if that were the case here. The dark side of the booms in places like New York is that they have rendered them increasingly unaffordable to ordinary mortals, even in former working class areas likes Brooklyn."

"The reasons for that are beyond the scope of this article" (This coward is afraid to say it out loud, but I'm not.)

Other than Salinas, the top 6 are obvious.

Now what really shocked me are the bottom three. Don't you wonder why people from Detroit and Memphis are moving to RI? And from Springfield, MA (another whole city on the dole)??? Moving to a state where the "experts" here have admitted they can't even score a job at DD? Maybe they just love the local history!

Feel free to draw your own conclusions....

Last edited by massnative71; 01-08-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What ? I never said a thing a bout NY'ers moving there. You are confused evidently.
Sigh. You're confused, or have a very short memory. Go back to post #30. You said "the only we is thee, counselor" when Alfie asked for backup for the claim that New Yorkers were moving here for the welfare. I said that I also would like to see that backup, so "the only we" wasn't Alfie. I didn't say it was you that made the claim originally.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Now what really shocked me are the bottom three. Don't you wonder why people from Detroit and Memphis are moving to RI? And from Springfield, MA (another whole city on the dole)??? Moving to a state where the "experts" here have admitted they can't even score a job at DD? Maybe they just love the local history!

Feel free to draw your own conclusions....
Not as shocking at 1,047 from Salinas, more than double those three, combined.

I have to admit, the whole list seems weird, doesn't it? Like, how is it possible that Memphis, TN-MS-AR sent us 175 people when none of those states are on the state list? North Dakota was 8th with 5 people sent to us, so it would seem like at least one of TN, MS or AR would have to be above N Dakota on the list.

Oh, and nowhere did it say whether those New Yorkers are coming here for welfare or buying houses in Watch Point and Block Island.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Not as shocking at 1,047 from Salinas, more than double those three, combined.
As the article states it's likely an ethnic/network based migration chain. The question of course is why are they coming to RI of all places?

Quote:
I have to admit, the whole list seems weird, doesn't it? Like, how is it possible that Memphis, TN-MS-AR sent us 175 people when none of those states are on the state list? North Dakota was 8th with 5 people sent to us, so it would seem like at least one of TN, MS or AR would have to be above N Dakota on the list.
Well not really...

It also kind of proves my theory. Memphis is basically the toilet of TN (stagnant economy, high crime, high dependency, low levels of education, etc.). Other places in TN (such as Nashville and Knoxville) have booming economies and are considered lands of opportunity. That, the lower COL/taxes and warmer climate are attracting PRODUCTIVE people from RI and elsewhere in NE. Memphis does not have the same lure, it is a sewer. So you have all the people headed from NE to the prospering areas of TN which outnumber the folks from Memphis coming up to RI, resulting in a net loss from RI to TN. Now why would those people from Memphis not just move to Nashville (or Knoxville or Charlotte or Atlanta)? Are you really still wondering?

Quote:
Oh, and nowhere did it say whether those New Yorkers are coming here for welfare or buying houses in Watch Point and Block Island.
Again, we are talking about "net migration here". There are certainly a few RIers who have moved to NY during that period. Let's just say it is 10,000, that would mean that 15,000 have moved from NY to RI. Perhaps a few are, but do you honestly think all those people are buying houses in Watch Hill as their primary residence?

This discussion could go on forever, but I do have to say that I am very surprised by all the skeptics on this forum. Whether native RIer/non-native RIer, white/black, liberal/conservative, young/old; I have yet to meet a soul in real life (residing in RI for more than a few years) who does not acknowledge this trend. It is not just me. Does it hit a nerve with people? Do some just think that it will go away (if they ignore it for long enough)? It is very real, and has hurt RI tremendously. It will continue to get much worse if all the good people of RI don't start taking action.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
The fact that Salinas is on the list is quite interesting to me. I grew up about an hour or so from Salinas. Back then it was predominately farmland, with mostly migrant farm workers. In the 80s, it did participate in the tech boom, but is still quite a way from Silicon Valley.

As RI is not exactly known for its farming or IT, I'm wondering what the 1,000 people are doing. I don't think it's familial, as the majority of the workers were from Mexico, and there aren't a lot of Mexicans in RI, compared to latinos from the DR and PR.

Seems odd.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'm wondering what the 1,000 people are doing.
I am too.

Well, not really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island