Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM

23,756 posts, read 18,872,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Wow, only fourteen years ago!

I was in college still chasing multiple tail back then. Now I'm 35 and married.

If you were a Superhero you'd be Antiquated Man, always able to provide severely outdated information in a single bound!
Cause we all know the neighborhood has changed soooo much since then.

Either was, that is impertinent until we know when Sandsonik worked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM

4,437 posts, read 3,223,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well I worked the Census too (2000). I worked some rougher neighborhoods solo (E Side of Attleboro, etc.). And guess what, S. Providence was the exception. They would work the neighborhoods in groups only, because clearly they felt it was a necessary precaution. Even in Pawtucket that didn't happen, or at least wasn't typical.

Just because you were fine then, doesn't mean you will be the next time...

Look, I'm not telling NO ONE to go. People just need to realize what it is. I can think of much better ways of spending my Saturday than a stroll through the hood. Not that it matters, I work Saturday anyway.
The neighborhood tour is in Elmwood, not the South Side

I did the 2010 census. They must have changed the way they do things, because Attleboro wasn't in the Providence meetings when I did it, and I don't think South side census takers had to walk in groups (which would tend to suggest that there's safety in numbers, hmm?). But I could be wrong, my area was mostly West End, from Huntington Ave to Linwood, west of Elmwood. Was that policy for upper South, lower South or both?

Also, a lot of people just hate Census workers, so that has its own inherent dangers. My sister got threatened with a shotgun in Coventry - so much for worrying about "bad" neighborhoods! I had the most problem with a suburban neighborhood of single family homes on the Prov/Cranston line - that was where I got most of the Michelle Bachman type of 'I'm not telling the government anything" type of responses.

I think one has to be alert and keep their wits about them at all times, but like you said, there's never a guaranty of safety ever, unless one never leaves their house, and never bathes. One always measures risk. I don't think strolling with a group of people down Princeton to observe historical buildings is an unreasonable risk.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Either was, that is impertinent until we know when Sandsonik worked there.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what that is supposed to mean?

Either was? Either was, what?

Did you mean something else besides impertinent?

What is it you're asking about where I work????

I didn't work on that street, if that's what you're asking. I've been to the library where the tour begins, that's about it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,060,783 times
Quote:
Well I worked the Census too (2000). I worked some rougher neighborhoods solo (E Side of Attleboro, etc.). And guess what, S. Providence was the exception. They would work the neighborhoods in groups only, because clearly they felt it was a necessary precaution. Even in Pawtucket that didn't happen, or at least wasn't typical.

Just because you were fine then, doesn't mean you will be the next time...

Look, I'm not telling NO ONE to go. People just need to realize what it is. I can think of much better ways of spending my Saturday than a stroll through the hood. Not that it matters, I work Saturday anyway.
well, as Phil Ochs once said " outside a small circle of friends"" noone else will get your message.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand what that is supposed to mean?

Either was? Either was, what?

Did you mean something else besides impertinent?

What is it you're asking about where I work????

I didn't work on that street, if that's what you're asking. I've been to the library where the tour begins, that's about it.
That was a typo, I meant to say "either way". I'm so sorry. You have to go back and read RnR's post to put into context what I said.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
That was a typo, I meant to say "either way". I'm so sorry. You have to go back and read RnR's post to put into context what I said.
I read it, but still don't get it

"Cause we all know the neighborhood has changed soooo much since then.

Either way, that is impertinent until we know when Sandsonik worked there."

What are you asking me, and what's impertinent? I'm not sure how I made it into your discussion with RnR.

Last edited by sandsonik; 02-27-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,002,584 times
Quote:
Cause we all know the neighborhood has changed soooo much since then.
Actually it's a consistent theme with you to provide significantly outdated information as a basis for your assertions.

Is your Bat-Beacon a giant Grandfather clock ticking backwards silhouetted against the night sky?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Actually it's a consistent theme with you to provide significantly outdated information as a basis for your assertions.

Is your Bat-Beacon a giant Grandfather clock ticking backwards silhouetted against the night sky?
Is that so RnR, care to provide cites to back up that ridiculous assertion?

Have you got nothing better to than make baseless attacks against other posters here? What do you think about the tour? Don't tell me you're just trolling!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 PM

5,797 posts, read 5,126,002 times
Why are they doing this tour on March 1st...when it is so butt-freaking cold out still???? Otherwise, I would come all the way down from Quincy to take the tour. Why not on a nice spring Saturday when the sun is out and the temp is 60+? Oh, that just seems so far away! A snow storm is slated to hit us again this Sunday into Monday....

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why are they doing this tour on March 1st...when it is so butt-freaking cold out still???? Otherwise, I would come all the way down from Quincy to take the tour. Why not on a nice spring Saturday when the sun is out and the temp is 60+? Oh, that just seems so far away! A snow storm is slated to hit us again this Sunday into Monday....
They do tours year round. March 15 is HP Lovecraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island