Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times

Advertisements

For over 5 years now, RI has been among the highest in unemployment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Apology accepted. I don't even remember what that was about!
I do. I never forget my transgressions, and being RC, I never forgive myself.

Quote:
But like I said, I didn't exactly have stiff competition.

Have a great night, babe, and have sweet dreams, my fellow Rhode Islanders!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2015 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I will never understand the vitriol toward other states. It's in this forum (elsewhere vs. RI, RI vs. elsewhere), as well as in my current state forum.

This is a BIG country! There are no travel or residency restrictions. If you're happy in RI, that is wonderful! If you're not, that's wonderful, too! Buy why the need to denigrate other places/people?

Every single state has advantages over any other. And they are all 100% subjective. My current state has HORRIFIC education. I didn't move here for education. I moved because it's going to be 114 degrees out today, and hasn't rained in a couple months. That is my utopia.

For every person, there is something that is going to make them like their state over every other. Alfie likes snow. RI is PERFECT for him. QC likes laid back country life. NC is PERFECT for her. But that doesn't make either state "superior" over the other. Neither of those states would be a place I would like to live. I like endless entertainment options, 24 hours a day. I like a hot, arid, desert climate. This state is PERFECT for me. For someone with young kids, I wouldn't recommend it, but there are many here who have made it work.

Just find your happy!!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
For every person, there is something that is going to make them like their state over every other. Alfie likes snow. RI is PERFECT for him. QC likes laid back country life. NC is PERFECT for her. But that doesn't make either state "superior" over the other. Neither of those states would be a place I would like to live. I like endless entertainment options, 24 hours a day. I like a hot, arid, desert climate. This state is PERFECT for me. For someone with young kids, I wouldn't recommend it, but there are many here who have made it work.

Just find your happy!!

^THIS!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I will never understand the vitriol toward other states. It's in this forum (elsewhere vs. RI, RI vs. elsewhere), as well as in my current state forum.

This is a BIG country! There are no travel or residency restrictions. If you're happy in RI, that is wonderful! If you're not, that's wonderful, too! Buy why the need to denigrate other places/people?

Every single state has advantages over any other. And they are all 100% subjective. My current state has HORRIFIC education. I didn't move here for education. I moved because it's going to be 114 degrees out today, and hasn't rained in a couple months. That is my utopia.

Just find your happy!!

Of course, you're right. I just don't like outsiders trashing this state. I go nuclear when it happens again and again and again. And to what end? For what purpose? I don't kick people when they are down - I offer a hand, where possible. I don;t rejoice in the suffering of others, Of course, that's why I'm the Most Hated Poster on this forum, and I've earned my stripes. But a new and improved Alfie is here, starting now.

BTW, it's not just snow that I love - I love the brutality of Winter, the pain and suffering of it all. It's a Bataan death march, a matter of survival, in a way. I should have been a Jesuit priest. I miss Winter and utterly perish in the heat. But, like you say, it's a big country.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: another subforum

Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM

[quote=AlfieBoy;40175864]Of course, you're right. I just don't like outsiders trashing this state. I go nuclear when it happens again and again and again. And to what end? For what purpose? I don't kick people when they are down - I offer a hand, where possible. I don;t rejoice in the suffering of others, Of course, that's why I'm the Most Hated Poster on this forum, and I've earned my stripes. But a new and improved Alfie is here, starting now.

BTW, it's not just snow that I love - I love the brutality of Winter, the pain and suffering of it all. It's a Bataan death march, a matter of survival, in a way. I should have been a Jesuit priest. I miss Winter and utterly perish in the heat. But, like you say, it's a big country.

You have to realize that those who consistently trash other things, whether it be people or places, are dark inside. A miserable person will try to bring others to their level. In my mind, they are to be pitied. I wake up every day and bask in the glory that is a new day. We only have so much time on this side of the sod (or rocks and cactus in my instance).

I understand the love you have of Winter. Mother Nature in all of her fury is something to be admired. I just don't like cleaning up after her

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: for another subforum

Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:

Just find your happy!!
Totally agree. And if unemployment truly is high here for certain occupations, then those people really should look elsewhere. Of course, they may find that they really don't want to live where the jobs are, as the poster who talked about SF will attest. There are jobs here of course, just depends on whether one has the requisite qualifications.

P.S. I don't believe the unemployment rates as published- but that issue has been discussed endlessly in other threads.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You have to realize that those who consistently trash other things, whether it be people or places, are dark inside. A miserable person will try to bring others to their level. In my mind, they are to be pitied. I wake up every day and bask in the glory that is a new day. We only have so much time on this side of the sod (or rocks and cactus in my instance).
Well roared, lion! Of course, I jump into the gutter after them, which isn't very smart. Churchill said something relevant to this -- "When your mortal enemy is drownding in quicksand, there's no need to jump in after him with a knife," or something approximate.

Quote:
I understand the love you have of Winter. Mother Nature in all of her fury is something to be admired. I just don't like cleaning up after her
Yeah, it's great. It's all about the struggle. I never want things to be easy (and life has accommodated my desire -- in spades ).

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2015 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
BTW, it's not just snow that I love - I love the brutality of Winter, the pain and suffering of it all. It's a Bataan death march, a matter of survival, in a way. I should have been a Jesuit priest. I miss Winter and utterly perish in the heat.
OMG, I GET this. Not so much the missing winter as the feeling of accomplishment at overcoming it and living to see another one, LOL. I need the contrasts. Summer could not be as enjoyable to me without winter and vice-versa.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Totally agree. And if unemployment truly is high here for certain occupations, then those people really should look elsewhere. Of course, they may find that they really don't want to live where the jobs are, as the poster who talked about SF will attest. There are jobs here of course, just depends on whether one has the requisite qualifications.

P.S. I don't believe the unemployment rates as published- but that issue has been discussed endlessly in other threads.
It's the same here. Normally RI and NV flip-flop over highest unemployment. Although, we are primarily a one-trick state. Hospitality uber alles. We do have other jobs (fortunately for me), but we are primarily hospitality-driven. Most IT jobs pay less here than in other parts of the country. Nursing pays about 75% more here than other parts of the country. Go to where your skill set is in demand, and you'll get paid for it.

But... we have a ridiculously low cost of living, so even lower paying jobs can afford one quite a bit. The downside is that education is lacking due to the lack of taxes. Everything is trade off.

I don't believe the unemployment numbers, either. I will admit, I didn't read the study to find out how they arrived at their number, but if it's those receiving UI, the number is skewed based on the amount of people who used it to the max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island