Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 AM

287 posts, read 506,683 times

Advertisements

I'm heading up to Providence on Sunday for a conference. I'm taking Amtrak from Philly and will be arriving around noon and will be staying until Wednesday morning.

I'm not at all familiar with Providence, so I'm open to any and all suggestions for Sunday afternoon activities and places to eat dinner for each night (I tend to like pubs with good beer selections, for what it's worth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Let's see....I'm concentrating on places right downtown as I'm assuming you don't have a car and are staying at a hotel near the train station.

Providence has two brewpubs, Trinity Brewhouse and Union Station downtown. Maybe you're familiar with Revival Brewing. Their brewmaster, Sean Larkin was the brewer at Trinity as well and he came up with several of Narragansett's seasonal offerings. He's recently opened his own brewpub in Cranston.

I recommend The Red Fez at 49 Peck Street - no name on their sign, just a red fez. Kind of your top-secret hole in the wall bar, only with unexpectedly, really good food. Their mac and cheese is addictive, and you can add chorizo or bacon - what could be better? They always have a lot of craft beers, plus $2 Schlitz for those times when funds are running low! Where else you gonna find Schlitz? Theyre on two floors, in case you think it looks too small when you walk in.

Blake's Tavern is a down to earth pub on Washington Street that gets crowded whenever something's going on at the Dunk. Wickendon Pub (on Wickendon St,, natch) has been known for its large variety of beers since back in the days when everyone only had two or three beers on tap, and Wild Colonial on 250 South Water is an interesting place worth checking out. been named to "best bar" lists by Esquire and USA Today. Unfortunately, neither has food, but both are near to restaurants.

The Dorrance and the Eddy are both known for their cocktails, and the Dorrance is a full restaurant as well. It's in the old Federal Reserve Building and is an impressive looking place.

You know, there are so many places that could could work for you - Hanley's Ale House on Pine Street, the G Pub on Dorrance, Rogue's Island in the Arcade (a little pricier maybe, but they try to locally source everything so they always have a good local selection), RI-Ra, an Irish pub on Exchange Terrace. More and more keep popping into my head, LOL.

I've concentrated more on pub type places, but there's lots of fine dining in Providence, too. Los Andes, birch, Gracies, Loie Fullers, Circe, Nick's on Broadway, Café Nuovo, north (across the street from a great lounge, the Avery, but you'll probably need a cab to find it). Federal Hill on Atwells Ave. is the "Little Italy" section of town. That might be an idea for a Sunday stroll when you arrive. There are several delis and bakeries worth checking out there. On the other hand, if you're craving seafood, try Hemenways on the Providence River.

Take a walk around when you get here, ask your concierge and they'll steer you right! Let me see if I can find anything going on this weekend; there was a lot going on last weekend but I haven't looked yet for this weekend, going out of town myself.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Let's see....I'm concentrating on places right downtown as I'm assuming you don't have a car and are staying at a hotel near the train station.

Providence has two brewpubs, Trinity Brewhouse and Union Station downtown. Maybe you're familiar with Revival Brewing. Their brewmaster, Sean Larkin was the brewer at Trinity as well and he came up with several of Narragansett's seasonal offerings. He's recently opened his own brewpub in Cranston.

I recommend The Red Fez at 49 Peck Street - no name on their sign, just a red fez. Kind of your top-secret hole in the wall bar, only with unexpectedly, really good food. Their mac and cheese is addictive, and you can add chorizo or bacon - what could be better? They always have a lot of craft beers, plus $2 Schlitz for those times when funds are running low! Where else you gonna find Schlitz? Theyre on two floors, in case you think it looks too small when you walk in.

Blake's Tavern is a down to earth pub on Washington Street that gets crowded whenever something's going on at the Dunk. Wickendon Pub (on Wickendon St,, natch) has been known for its large variety of beers since back in the days when everyone only had two or three beers on tap, and Wild Colonial on 250 South Water is an interesting place worth checking out. been named to "best bar" lists by Esquire and USA Today. Unfortunately, neither has food, but both are near to restaurants.

The Dorrance and the Eddy are both known for their cocktails, and the Dorrance is a full restaurant as well. It's in the old Federal Reserve Building and is an impressive looking place.

You know, there are so many places that could could work for you - Hanley's Ale House on Pine Street, the G Pub on Dorrance, Rogue's Island in the Arcade (a little pricier maybe, but they try to locally source everything so they always have a good local selection), RI-Ra, an Irish pub on Exchange Terrace. More and more keep popping into my head, LOL.

I've concentrated more on pub type places, but there's lots of fine dining in Providence, too. Los Andes, birch, Gracies, Loie Fullers, Circe, Nick's on Broadway, Café Nuovo, north (across the street from a great lounge, the Avery, but you'll probably need a cab to find it). Federal Hill on Atwells Ave. is the "Little Italy" section of town. That might be an idea for a Sunday stroll when you arrive. There are several delis and bakeries worth checking out there. On the other hand, if you're craving seafood, try Hemenways on the Providence River.

Take a walk around when you get here, ask your concierge and they'll steer you right! Let me see if I can find anything going on this weekend; there was a lot going on last weekend but I haven't looked yet for this weekend, going out of town myself.
This was awesome advice. Thank you for taking the time to write it up! I'll be sure to come back and post some updates with my experiences.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Be sure to walk around the River Walk and maybe go up the hill a block or two to see Benefit St, Brown U & RI School of Design. RISD has a large museum on Benefit (accessible from South main as well).
Just in case you don't want to spend the entire afternoon drinking....

Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
other places esp. for Burgers. Harry's on No. Main Street and Luxe Burgers in the River Walk area. Fat Belly's is also a good pub to try. Into the late night there is Haven Bros., an original diner on wheels, set up next to city hall. It has become expensive, but try one hot dog to get a taste of the local flavor of dogs.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
other places esp. for Burgers. Harry's on No. Main Street and Luxe Burgers in the River Walk area. Fat Belly's is also a good pub to try. Into the late night there is Haven Bros., an original diner on wheels, set up next to city hall. It has become expensive, but try one hot dog to get a taste of the local flavor of dogs.
Love Harry's, good call. Another good place for dinner on that street is Parkside Rotisserie.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:

Blake's Tavern is a down to earth pub on Washington Street that gets crowded whenever something's going on at the Dunk.
Blake's is a great pub. Their fish and chips, which are delicious, are pretty cheap. Excellent potato salad, too. Not a great selection of brews, but it's got a great attitude.

I recall asking the bartender to put on the Yankees game, as the Sox had already played their day game. He instantly became clearly aggitated, leaned over the bar, with his eyes wild-eyed, and said, "What, you want a f-----g riot in here?!" Great place.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Also, there's a full lighting of Waterfire the 27th at 6:36. I know that doesn't work for the OP, he arrives Sunday but I know other people who are coming this weekend are checking out this thread. The RI Historical Society has a walking tour at 11 a.m., Benefit Street: A Mile of History. It's $15 for non-members and leaves from the John Brown House at 52 Power Street.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Be sure to walk around the River Walk and maybe go up the hill a block or two to see Benefit St, Brown U & RI School of Design. RISD has a large museum on Benefit (accessible from South main as well).
Just in case you don't want to spend the entire afternoon drinking....
I'm actually professional designer and went to art school myself, so that would actually be pretty interesting I think. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Also, there's a full lighting of Waterfire the 27th at 6:36. I know that doesn't work for the OP, he arrives Sunday but I know other people who are coming this weekend are checking out this thread. The RI Historical Society has a walking tour at 11 a.m., Benefit Street: A Mile of History. It's $15 for non-members and leaves from the John Brown House at 52 Power Street.
A walking tour sounds right up my alley. Thanks, I'll look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island