Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,539 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Providence next month. We'll be staying at a house on Willow St in the Armory neighborhood (near intersection of Willow and Sycamore)

Is that a safe/okay area to be in? The rent seemed low compared to the areas right near Brown, for example, and being completely unfamiliar with the area, we're wondering if we're getting ourselves into some sketchy or dangerous area without knowing it. Looking forward to any input you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
While I'm sure others here will disagree, the Armory District is not a high crime area. Several years ago, the same couldn't be said. It is an income and ethnically diverse neighborhood. Some automatically equate this with being unsafe. Not so. The diversity makes the neighborhood lively and a fun place to live. People I know who live there, could afford to live absolutely anywhere in RI, love it and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You can find neighborhood indicators on the Providence Plan- this area would be considered the West End.
The website says they're changing their methods from the easy to use "neighborhood profiles" to some other method that looks much less user friendly. Not sure what they mean to accomplish. Also check out the thread in this forum on Providence neighborhoods ranked.

West End

Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
I'd feel perfectly safe living there. Everyone's tolerance and perspective for city living varies. You're in a city and will want to use common sense, but it's certainly not an unsafe neighborhood.

My concern with the area was foot traffic (or lack thereof) walking home from restaurants/bar/whatever late at night. I was looking at a place a few years ago and a few blockers further into the residential zone. During the day, I'd definitely feel 100% safe there. If I'm recalling things correctly Willow is considered one of the best streets in the area.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You can find neighborhood indicators on the Providence Plan- this area would be considered the West End.
The website says they're changing their methods from the easy to use "neighborhood profiles" to some other method that looks much less user friendly. Not sure what they mean to accomplish. Also check out the thread in this forum on Providence neighborhoods ranked.

West End

Note that the above link is *7 years old. Current stats would be more helpful to posters as that area has become worse over that time period. The Union Av. area, Cranston St. etc., Elmwood Av. Not where I'd recommend walking even during the daytime. As always, the poster has to drive through the area thoroughly before making a decision. I had to drive through there just last month to escape Prov. traffic on my way to Johnston.

*Last Updated:
21-mar-07

Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Note that the above link is *7 years old. Current stats would be more helpful to posters as that area has become worse over that time period. The Union Av. area, Cranston St. etc., Elmwood Av. Not where I'd recommend walking even during the daytime. As always, the poster has to drive through the area thoroughly before making a decision. I had to drive through there just last month to escape Prov. traffic on my way to Johnston.

*Last Updated:
21-mar-07
But see this is where perspective comes in. You wouldn't go to the area during the day. I lived in DC and I'm still trying to find the ghetto here in Providence. I'm not sure if you are referring to the west end area in general, but the area the OP is referring to is definitely on an upswing. If you lived here you'd know that.

As for current stats, the Providence Police dept. website has a link to an interactive map that allows you to view crimes by date and type. You can't get much more current than last week.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
But see this is where perspective comes in. You wouldn't go to the area during the day. I lived in DC and I'm still trying to find the ghetto here in Providence. I'm not sure if you are referring to the west end area in general, but the area the OP is referring to is definitely on an upswing. If you lived here you'd know that.

As for current stats, the Providence Police dept. website has a link to an interactive map that allows you to view crimes by date and type. You can't get much more current than last week.
You're absolutely right Beth. The Armory area has been improving consistently over the last decade in almost every category of living. The broad brush characterization of areas as crime ridden aren't correct or helpful. The West End is a large area and parts of it may not be safe. But, the boots on the ground know the Armory and West Broadway for the most part are safe. I personally know many families who live there and own homes because they love it not because they can't afford to live on the East Side or Barrington. Also, the real estate market is very active in the Armory with values increasing as much as the East Side. Many find it a very special and desirable neighborhood to call home.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post

One doesn't have to live on a certain block to know the reputation of an area. None of the RI cheerleaders on this forum are natives of RI. If someone lives in or near a less than desirable area, they are conditioned to believe it is better than it really is ... because they do live there and it skews there perspective. RI doesn't change much, I'm up there more frequently than I'd like to be.

It's all about conditioning and perspective and that is why natives leave the state. That is true of many states, it's a free country. As true natives, we know too much about what goes on there. The majority of people considering retirement, can't wait to escape the state, if they can afford to. Like the saying goes, "OK place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there".

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
One doesn't have to live on a certain block to know the reputation of an area. None of the RI cheerleaders on this forum are natives of RI. If someone lives in or near a less than desirable area, they are conditioned to believe it is better than it really is ... because they do live there and it skews there perspective. RI doesn't change much, I'm up there more frequently than I'd like to be.

It's all about conditioning and perspective and that is why natives leave the state. That is true of many states, it's a free country. As true natives, we know too much about what goes on there. The majority of people considering retirement, can't wait to escape the state, if they can afford to. Like the saying goes, "OK place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there".
So all of you folks out there considering moving to Rhode Island, don't listen to the residents who actually live here now - every day. We are "conditioned" somehow not to understand how horrible it really is. Rather listen to those who were born in RI (true natives), but have chosen to leave. They are where you will get the most accurate information. Hmmmm.......

Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Giving posters advice through rose-colored glasses is neither productive for the OP or honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island