Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well one response came from one who had spent years living in 3 different neighboring towns, and another I believe lived in Cumberland for several decades.

My impressions of Woonsocket are of a town down on its luck, with a failing economy and a gutted commercial core. I've only visited a couple of times, but it was within the last three months. If I were the OP, I would seek out the advice of people who have lived in the area recently.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-22-2015 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: response to deletion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:25 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
With that budget, you have no reason to live in Wooonsocket.
No reason not to, either. The area along Mendon Road is nice, safe, and well kept. For a short term renter, public schools and property taxes aren't an issue.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
My impressions of Woonsocket are of a town down on its luck, with a failing economy and a gutted commercial core. I've only visited a couple of times, but it was within the last three months. If I were the OP, I would seek out the advice of people who have lived in the area recently.
I wouldn't call the commercial core gutted. Downtown looks great, with lots of independent small shops lining Main Street from Market Square to Depot Square, and of course there's the magnificent Stadium Theater. What is gutted is the big box development along Diamond Hill Road, with a lot of the stores (Lowes, Walmart) moving closer to interstate highways and leaving empty boxes behind.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I wouldn't call the commercial core gutted. Downtown looks great, with lots of independent small shops lining Main Street from Market Square to Depot Square, and of course there's the magnificent Stadium Theater. What is gutted is the big box development along Diamond Hill Road, with a lot of the stores (Lowes, Walmart) moving closer to interstate highways and leaving empty boxes behind.
I trust your opinion mp775. Like I said, I've only been there a couple of times, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the city.

But I do recall being on a couple of streets with several beautiful buildings that were all seemingly vacant. And that gave me the (apparently erroneous) impression that the commercial core was gutted. I am glad to stand corrected on that point.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
It's still pretty gutted, have been there within the last year.

And very sketchy.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM

I was there yesterday, FWIW.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
No reason not to, either. The area along Mendon Road is nice, safe, and well kept. For a short term renter, public schools and property taxes aren't an issue.

I used to be a Rhode Islander

Father-in Law lives up around Mendon Road and as said it is a nice area..............unlike other parts of Woonsocket that are seriously depressed.

My brother-in-law works for CVS (IT) and lives in Cumberland.

Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,331 times
Dear all,

My Husband is moving to RI too for CVS project. Any recommendations on good apartment or condo in safe area will be very helpful.

Cheers!
Clover

Old 06-09-2016, 03:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover26 View Post
Dear all,

My Husband is moving to RI too for CVS project. Any recommendations on good apartment or condo in safe area will be very helpful.

Cheers!
Clover

Cumberland or Lincoln would be your best bet. In Cumberland, check at "Cumberland Crossings" on Mendon Rd. In Lincoln, check with Kirkbrae Realty on Old River Rd. in Lincoln. Both are excellent locations, safe, and nice well kept complexes. Expect around $1300/mo. for a 2 BR.

Also, check with the CVS H.R. Dept., they will also have information on where some of their employees live.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:45 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Cumberland or Lincoln would be your best bet. In Cumberland, check at "Cumberland Crossings" on Mendon Rd. In Lincoln, check with Kirkbrae Realty on Old River Rd. in Lincoln. Both are excellent locations, safe, and nice well kept complexes. Expect around $1300/mo. for a 2 BR.
I work around there and have encountered a couple of people who live at Cumberland Crossing. Seems to be very well liked.

Though you'll hear bad things about Woonsocket, almost all the surrounding areas are very safe and pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island