Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
So, why did Citi and Chase pull out of this area? We moved here and had the same issue. We kept our Chase account...using online and drop into one whenever we visit NYC. We do have local Credit Union accounts, which is great...but was just curious what happened?
Citi and Chase were never here to begin with. Those are NYC banks that became national - to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 01:04 PM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Citi and Chase were never here to begin with. Those are NYC banks that became national - to an extent.
Cool...but they are located in almost every other area of the country...but not in this area. I understand Wells Fargo not being here yet...

Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Cool...but they are located in almost every other area of the country...but not in this area. I understand Wells Fargo not being here yet...
Well, because of my father's aforementioned long employment with Citi, I can tell you that Citibank is very sparsely represented west of the Mississippi. Just looked it up, and the only western states that have any branches are California, Nevada, Texas and South Dakota. Of those, Texas and South Dakota only have two branches each. Really, the only states that have a significant number of Citibank branches are New York, Florida, California and Illinois. Even New Jersey, right in their backyard, only has 11.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
So many local banks/credit unions in RI/MA (and well established larger ones such as Citizens), that I think they would have a tough time. I'm amazed Bank of America stays in business in New England.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So many local banks/credit unions in RI/MA (and well established larger ones such as Citizens), that I think they would have a tough time. I'm amazed Bank of America stays in business in New England.
Two New England Banks, Shawmut (Boston) and Fleet (Providence) merged. The new Fleet Bank, now based in Boston, merged with BankBoston. Bank of America came in and bought Fleet in the early 2000's. They had a built in presence in New England unlike Chase and Citi which attempted to come into the market on their own names.. I understand Wells Fargo now has a downtown Providence office for loans.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 AM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
It is just one of those little neat Rhode Island quirks. Was just curious. Same as why Costco won't move in....perhaps the liquor lobby..lol. I'm overall grateful that we normally have many local choices here in our small state that are better than the national options in so many different categories.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
From experience, Wells Fargo and TD Bank are the worst regardless of what state they are in. TD especially -- their main location is in Maine; they do everything by email, even mortgage apps and approvals. Try and get a mortgage through to a buyer, and it's like going to a bad dentist.

Imagine this: I had a seller whose buyer actually lived on the same road as the main office in Maine, relo'ing down here. The dufus in the Maine bank sent her guaranteed TD bank check to the attorney for the closing and there were a few one-hole paper punches through the magnetic number on the bottom of the check! making it invalid. Yes, the check arrived on a Thursday for a Friday closing. D'oh ! no closing until the check was returned to Maine via FedEx overnight for replacement, which over a weekend became a tentative Monday closing.

Ha ... buyers had to spend 5 nights in a hotel, and luckily sellers had given the closing atty. Power of Atty. because they were long gone.

Wells Fargo; went to the Lincoln RI office once. Most of the lights were out except for a customer service office down in a corner and one teller. You would have thought it was closed; or they are saving on electricity. Bank of America, tops.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:04 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
We have TD bank and my only complaint about them is the scarcity of ATMs. Otherwise, they are great. I found Bank of America to have terrible customer service.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Two New England Banks, Shawmut (Boston) and Fleet (Providence) merged. The new Fleet Bank, now based in Boston, merged with BankBoston. Bank of America came in and bought Fleet in the early 2000's. They had a built in presence in New England unlike Chase and Citi which attempted to come into the market on their own names.. I understand Wells Fargo now has a downtown Providence office for loans.
Right. And if there ever was a bank worse than BoA, it was Fleet aka. "Flees". Ridiculous fees, horrific customer service. Many had their accounts with Shawmut, Baybank, Bank of Boston, etc. acquired by them, and many left soon afterwards. Don't know anyone who ever had a good experience with them.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:47 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Two New England Banks, Shawmut (Boston) and Fleet (Providence) merged. The new Fleet Bank, now based in Boston, merged with BankBoston. Bank of America came in and bought Fleet in the early 2000's. They had a built in presence in New England unlike Chase and Citi which attempted to come into the market on their own names..
This is correct and is at least one explanation as to why B of A is so prominent in the region. Many people become B of A customers through acquisition, and inertia keeps them there.

I prefer small banks and credit unions. I was once (briefly) a B of A customer when they bought the small bank I used; I suffered a few months of B of A, then moved to a credit union.

One of the great things about New England is the plethora of small banks where you can get personal customer service. There are also some good credit unions, though credit unions are more pervasive out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island