Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM

9,320 posts, read 14,934,641 times

Advertisements

Not that we're likely to get either because of deficits, but if you had to pick only one, would you prefer the car tax phased out or free state college tuition?

I'd much rather get the car tax issue improved since state college tuition is already fairly reasonable and the schools offer scholarships- what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,152,065 times
I try to avoid overtly political discussions around here, but you asked, so: I've been saying for many years that the only way to reduce inequality and social stratification in America is to make tuition free at public colleges and universities. There needs to be a level playing field there. I was able to waltz into a series of high-profile internships and subsequently good early jobs because I went to a good college. I've known plenty of people who haven't been able to afford college, and one person's "reasonable" is another's "unaffordable." The really canny ones have been able to overcome that, but that's a very tough game to make people play.

Not everyone merits a scholarship, and that's OK; more than just elite high-school students should get that shot. I know a guy from college who grew up on welfare and got a free ride at our U.S. News and World Report Top 10 university (actually, he came out ahead due to scholarships being more than the cost of tuition plus housing), and he would completely agree with me on this point. Crippling someone with onerous loans is also an unfair disadvantage to start out with.

I didn't like, and continue not to like, Bernie Sanders in part because his all-or-nothing free-college proposal was incredibly unrealistic in the current political environment and students were going to end up worse off because he didn't pursue a realistic intermediate step. But I'm a fan of the recent moves by individual states to make it work. As you said, Hollytree, it probably doesn't make financial sense in Rhode Island right now, but if it did, even if it caused a little bit of pain, I'd support it.

I know everyone around here gets all bent out of shape at the car tax, but you know how much I pay? About $45 once every three months. That's for two cars. Every time I get that bill, I wonder why people think it's such a big deal. I know I live in a town where the tax is relatively low (instead, property taxes are high), and I also know that many people like driving newer cars -- but that's sort of the point, that if driving a newer car is that important to you, you're going to be willing to pay more in a number of ways.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 AM

23,711 posts, read 18,806,710 times
RI should start by just capping the auto tax to 25/1000 like MA does. Last I checked, RI tuition is not unreasonable. Bringing down local auto and property taxes should be more of a priority.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM

9,320 posts, read 14,934,641 times
Since social stratification and inequality in the US is largely tied to income, I think more emphasis should be placed on vocational schools and less on "everyone should go to a four year college".

Many vocational pursuits (have you hired a plumber or electrician lately?) pay very well. Maybe vocational training should be free?

I find too many in college- I'm in higher ed- who have little interest in college level education and who need remedial work and zero level courses just to pass. A lot who would never have been considered college material in the past are enrolled in today's colleges. That includes students at Brown, RWU, etc as well as open enrollment schools such as CCRI.

Anyone who really wants a 4 year degree and has a capable brain can get an acceptance and money somewhere since schools need tuition units due to fewer young people than in the past. The capable brain part is particularly important since a diploma from a public HS in RI means little. They're passing them to improve the graduation rates. The colleges court foreigners who don't speak English well enough to do the courses but they pay full rates.

Harvard is now totally needs based. Free tuition with a good GPA. I'd go there if I needed to.

My taxes on my old (mid 2000s economy cars) in Providence are high enough still to keep me from buying a new car. Taxes would be ridiculous if we did.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Since social stratification and inequality in the US is largely tied to income, I think more emphasis should be placed on vocational schools and less on "everyone should go to a four year college".

Many vocational pursuits (have you hired a plumber or electrician lately?) pay very well. Maybe vocational training should be free?

I find too many in college- I'm in higher ed- who have little interest in college level education and who need remedial work and zero level courses just to pass. A lot who would never have been considered college material in the past are enrolled in today's colleges. That includes students at Brown, RWU, etc as well as open enrollment schools such as CCRI.
Agree 100%

Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Anyone who really wants a 4 year degree and has a capable brain can get an acceptance and money somewhere since schools need tuition units due to fewer young people than in the past. The capable brain part is particularly important since a diploma from a public HS in RI means little. They're passing them to improve the graduation rates. The colleges court foreigners who don't speak English well enough to do the courses but they pay full rates.

Harvard is now totally needs based. Free tuition with a good GPA. I'd go there if I needed to.

My taxes on my old (mid 2000s economy cars) in Providence are high enough still to keep me from buying a new car. Taxes would be ridiculous if we did.
I'm in complete agreement with you that vocational training should get more emphasis and we shouldn't be encouraging everybody to go to college, but vocational training also isn't for everyone. I think all students should have all the options. You know who would be a terrible plumber or electrician? Me. I bought a lawnmower recently, top of the line, guaranteed to be idiot proof and never to break down, and I've called neighbors over three times in the past month to look at it because I couldn't figure it out. A lawnmower -- theoretically you push it, it cuts grass. If I had grown up poor and only had vocational options, I'd be SOL.

You know who else would probably be pretty bad in a blue-collar job? My dad, born just a couple of years after his parents came to America as penniless refugees from World War II. His father worked in a hot-dog factory; his mother was occasionally a cook. Neither of them had much formal education. Fortunately, he got a free ride 50 years ago in the City University of New York system, back when admission was competitive and everybody went for free. That led to a great career and, ultimately, my ability to go to a good school. The same happened to a lot of kids from his Brooklyn neighborhood.

You're the higher-ed professional, but I find it tough to believe that there are students at Brown who wouldn't have been college material in decades past. Doesn't Brown's admission rate just keep getting lower?

What Harvard is doing is great, but almost nobody can get into Harvard and almost no universities have the prestige needed to pull that sort of thing off.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,568,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I try to avoid overtly political discussions around here, but you asked, so: I've been saying for many years that the only way to reduce inequality and social stratification in America is to make tuition free at public colleges and universities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know everyone around here gets all bent out of shape at the car tax, but you know how much I pay? About $45 once every three months. That's for two cars. Every time I get that bill, I wonder why people think it's such a big deal. I know I live in a town where the tax is relatively low (instead, property taxes are high), and I also know that many people like driving newer cars -- but that's sort of the point, that if driving a newer car is that important to you, you're going to be willing to pay more in a number of ways.

BofD:

Is that only minimal liability coverage on 2 very old cars ? Surely not full coverage.

In RI back in 2002, I paid:

$1,400/yr. for full coverage car insurance in 2002, on a 2002 Honda Accord. My property taxes were $3,800/yr. for a 1200 sf. single family house;
$ 900/yr. for full coverage homeowners insurance
$6,100 per yr.

PLUS at the time, $3,500/yr. for heat. No a/c. Total: $9,600/yr.
=============================

Here, in same order 2017, I pay:

$685/yr. full coverage ins. on car 2014 Avalon
$ 404/yr. property taxes for 1500sf. single family house (50% discount for over 65)
$ 375/yr. full coverage homeowner's ins.
$1,464/yr.

PLUS $825/yr. for heat & central air for 12 mos. Total: $ 2,249/yr.
====================================

No charge for the layered views and clean air of the the Blue Ridge, Smokys, and the Appalachian Mtns.

College tuition for in-state students at all Univ. of NC campuses. http://www.collegetuitioncompare.com...bles/?state=NC
Rhode Island should be able to do the same for in-state college students at URI.

Pretty darned good deal.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
BofD:

Is that only minimal liability coverage on 2 very old cars ? Surely not full coverage.
Sorry, I was talking about the car tax, not insurance coverage. Rest assured I pay much, much, much more than that for insurance.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
BofD:

In RI back in 2002, I paid:

$1,400/yr. for full coverage car insurance in 2002, on a 2002 Honda Accord. My property taxes were $3,800/yr. for a 1200 sf. single family house;
$ 900/yr. for full coverage homeowners insurance
$6,100 per yr.

PLUS at the time, $3,500/yr. for heat. No a/c. Total: $9,600/yr.
=============================

You didn't even include the auto tax. That must have added a good $1000 right there on your '02!

Old 06-15-2017, 12:53 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,189,077 times
Let's see... my wife's tuition is about a quarter of my salary, and our car taxes for the year are covered by a couple hours' work. That's a tough one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island