Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:46 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to SC from RI in March of 2010 and we are seriously considering moving back to New England. There are many reasons, but some of the reasons are that other than property taxes being lower here in SC the cost of many other things here are equally high and in some aspects more expensive. We are in Charleston and it is very expensive here compared to other parts of the south. In the seven and a half years we've lived here there have been some friends made but they are all merely acquaintances. My husband is now in his 70's, me in my mid 60's, and I know it will be a lonely life here if he should pass. I am very surprised that stronger friendships haven't been made here and I think I really counted on that happening. The only grandchild I do have who is now in Charlotte NC, will be moving back to RI in July 2018. My other son lives in Boston and he and his wife will be starting their family shortly. The small family I do have are all in RI and New England. All my closest of friends are there too. RI recently passed a law stating Social Security taxes be exempt from RI taxes. Also now you are allowed $15000 a year in other retirement income that won't be taxed. These are new laws since we left RI but they are very helpful. We are fortunate to be able to buy another home there and afford the property taxes. Also the idea of having the best healthcare in the country nearby in New England is another plus. I know about all the drawbacks of living in RI such as corruption in the government and the snowy long winters. We can actually afford to get away in the winter to someplace warm for a month. It's been a wonderful experience living down here in SC and I will miss this place a lot but it's the feeling of isolation down here if I am alone that I dread. Thoughts appreciated...

Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
You shouldn't. Stay where your at. Problem solved

Old 10-21-2017, 01:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
My husband and I moved to SC from RI in March of 2010 and we are seriously considering moving back to New England. There are many reasons, but some of the reasons are that other than property taxes being lower here in SC the cost of many other things here are equally high and in some aspects more expensive. We are in Charleston and it is very expensive here compared to other parts of the south. In the seven and a half years we've lived here there have been some friends made but they are all merely acquaintances. My husband is now in his 70's, me in my mid 60's, and I know it will be a lonely life here if he should pass. I am very surprised that stronger friendships haven't been made here and I think I really counted on that happening. The only grandchild I do have who is now in Charlotte NC, will be moving back to RI in July 2018. My other son lives in Boston and he and his wife will be starting their family shortly. The small family I do have are all in RI and New England. All my closest of friends are there too. RI recently passed a law stating Social Security taxes be exempt from RI taxes. Also now you are allowed $15000 a year in other retirement income that won't be taxed. These are new laws since we left RI but they are very helpful. We are fortunate to be able to buy another home there and afford the property taxes. Also the idea of having the best healthcare in the country nearby in New England is another plus. I know about all the drawbacks of living in RI such as corruption in the government and the snowy long winters. We can actually afford to get away in the winter to someplace warm for a month. It's been a wonderful experience living down here in SC and I will miss this place a lot but it's the feeling of isolation down here if I am alone that I dread. Thoughts appreciated...

You must have a high fever ........ take 2 aspirin and DM me.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Your's is a common circumstance. Boomerang retirees. They move south for the weather in their 50s & 60s only to return some 10 +- years later to be around family and the familiar New England you can't get anywhere else. That you are considering leaving sophisticated Charleston may be a bit of an anomaly given its a destination New England transplant tend to like. Often, the most disappointed tend to gravitate to cheaper Nowhere/Anywhere USA inland type southern locations.

The inability to make deeper friendships in the south is also a common refrain I've heard from other returnees. Recreating those sincere Rhode Island type friendships can be a challenge in the shallow land of the quick smile & "Have a nice day."

Our tax situation has greatly improved for retirees and with climate change, winters may even be improving. This year we're experiencing an October warmer than most Septembers of the past. No question health care is better in RI & nearby Massachusetts than almost anywhere in the south. And, if you can afford to get out of here in January & February, it sounds like you know what to do. Welcome back - you're in good company!

Last edited by independent man; 10-21-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 05:03 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
If you can afford to come back- do so- especially if your family will be here.

Right now I must say the house prices are at record highs and inventory is very low- so depending on what you expect to buy (or if you will buy) you could be disappointed in terms of availability. Rents are also high, so that is not necessarily a better option.
But you know what you can afford to do.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You must have a high fever ........ take 2 aspirin and DM me.
This made me laugh out loud! Thanks QuilterChick!

Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you can afford to come back- do so- especially if your family will be here.

Right now I must say the house prices are at record highs and inventory is very low- so depending on what you expect to buy (or if you will buy) you could be disappointed in terms of availability. Rents are also high, so that is not necessarily a better option.
But you know what you can afford to do.
The family thing is a huge issue, especially my 8 year old grandson who will be moving back to RI next summer. He and I are very close and I would miss him terribly. There is so much about RI that is so frustrating to live there so I know I'll be complaining about those same issues if I move back but having friends and family in your aging years is so important. Housing is expensive there but not much different than here in Charleston. The population has tripled here in 7 years and the supply and demand is really at a critical point here. We bought our home 7 years ago and it has gone up $60000 in that time..just crazy. Thanks for responding..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 AM

325 posts, read 311,893 times
Quote:
Why on earth WOULD you? Literally, NOBODY moves here. And for good reason. Crushing tax burden, crumbling infrastructure, arrogant, unresponsive and self-serving elected officials make Rhode Island virtually uninhabitable. Rhode Island has the 8th highest tax burden in the country but you'd never know it. The state faces a massive fiscal deficit and the Capitol city is a disaster. They can't even afford to pave their roads. You've worked your whole life and now you want to give your money to a government that doesn't give you anything back? I understand your reasons for returning to New England but do yourself a favor and move to Massachusetts.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Why on earth WOULD you? Literally, NOBODY moves here. And for good reason. Crushing tax burden, crumbling infrastructure, arrogant, unresponsive and self-serving elected officials make Rhode Island virtually uninhabitable. Rhode Island has the 8th highest tax burden in the country but you'd never know it. The state faces a massive fiscal deficit and the Capitol city is a disaster. They can't even afford to pave their roads. You've worked your whole life and now you want to give your money to a government that doesn't give you anything back? I understand your reasons for returning to New England but do yourself a favor and move to Massachusetts.
I agree. If you want to move back to New England, move to Mass. It's just an overall great state to live in. RI could be a great place to live, but the government has some issues.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:23 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Nobody moves here and yet we have a hot real estate market and low inventory. Go figure.

I know Charleston well. Nice historic town but hotter and more humid in the summer than Hell and anything nice is very expensive.

Pattig, where in RI would you plan to live? Which town makes a huge difference in terms of costs and livability (for all those who see the state as a mass entity). It is hard to get good single level here I must say.

Cost differential between RI and Ma not that great for comparably nice places. New laws for retirees very helpful - plus lots of towns have property tax discounts for seniors so a little more help there as well.

Frankly, I have to say that the family and grandchild aspect you mention would be more than enough to sway any differential especially since you say you can afford to live in RI. What is holding you back?????

Last edited by Hollytree; 10-22-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island