Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Yeah it's cooler farther north during winter. if you're living in florida YEAR-ROUND, jacksonville would be my choice. Southern florida NEVER cools down. It's 80s and humid in january some days. Average high is upper 70s(humidity will make it feel hotter). Jacksonville cools to the 60s during the day during the day for averages. At least some kind of break from the heat. After a 6 month long brutal summer, you'll be begging for some relief. Northern florida delivers it. Miami is sweat city 365/days a year.

Oh yeah and it's always humid in south florida. The north gets a break
Here's a link showing average humidity. Big difference in winter between north and south.

Humidity - Florida Climate Center
The way I look at northern Florida is that in January/February, when I want it consistently warm, it's not. And, in the summer it's southern climate is just as hot as south Florida. However, I have never lived in FL year around and may feel differently in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The way I look at northern Florida is that in January/February, when I want it consistently warm, it's not. And, in the summer it's southern climate is just as hot as south Florida. However, I have never lived in FL year around and may feel differently in that case.

Quote:
Yeah it's cooler farther north during winter. if you're living in florida YEAR-ROUND, jacksonville would be my choice. Southern florida NEVER cools down. It's 80s and humid in january some days. Average high is upper 70s(humidity will make it feel hotter). Jacksonville cools to the 60s during the day during the day for averages. At least some kind of break from the heat. After a 6 month long brutal summer, you'll be begging for some relief. Northern florida delivers it. Miami is sweat city 365/days a year.

Oh yeah and it's always humid in south florida. The north gets a break
Here's a link showing average humidity. Big difference in winter between north and south.

http://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/humidity

I spent a winter not far from there. Don't let the "Florida" deceive you, it's by no means tropical. And while the low temperatures don't look too severe on paper, it can be a "bone chilling cold" from time to time on certain mornings due to the high humidity and moisture content of the air. 40 there easily feels 30, and it does occasionally dip below freezing. Saying that, even on those days you are usually peeling your jacket off by late morning. That can be quite appealing to a frost bitten New Englander and might work for many as a year round living location, just don't expect beach weather for more than 6 or 7 months a year.

Like I said, Jacksonville itself is not the greatest city and has a very high crime rate. It does have large swaths of newer nice suburban areas and while the "average price" is skewed by the many lesser neighborhoods I wouldn't let my dog live in, the nicer parts are still relatively affordable for what they are especially compared to other large coastal cities. Another thing to be aware of, JAX Beach (while nice enough as a beach) has some "issues"; but you have great places like Fernandina Beach and St. Augustine within an hour.

You could definitely do much worse than Jacksonville, as long as you are aware that it's a totally different animal from let's say Ft. Meyers or even Tampa/Clearwater.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 AM

712 posts, read 529,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I spent a winter not far from there. Don't let the "Florida" deceive you, it's by no means tropical. And while the low temperatures don't look too severe on paper, it can be a "bone chilling cold" from time to time on certain mornings due to the high humidity and moisture content of the air. 40 there easily feels 30, and it does occasionally dip below freezing. Saying that, even on those days you are usually peeling your jacket off by late morning. That can be quite appealing to a frost bitten New Englander and might work for many as a year round living location, just don't expect beach weather for more than 6 or 7 months a year.
The only reason it feels bone chilling cold is because of what you're used to when you're down there. After a long cold snap, 40 degrees and sun feels warm in new england! So after near 70 degrees, 40 in Florida is going to fee cold! Crazy people in new england are wearing shorts in 50 degree air in march because it "feels" so much warmer after what they've become acclimated to!

It's a common myth that humidity makes it feel colder. It doesn't Once the air temperature drops below freezing, the air can hold very little moisture.Dew point tells you your true humidity. When a cold front comes through and it drops to near freezing then dew points drop also drop. Relative humidity in just that; relative to the temperature. 99 percent humidty at 25 degrees is not comparable to 99% humidity at 80 degrees.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
The only reason it feels bone chilling cold is because of what you're used to when you're down there. After a long cold snap, 40 degrees and sun feels warm in new england! So after near 70 degrees, 40 in Florida is going to fee cold! Crazy people in new england are wearing shorts in 50 degree air in march because it "feels" so much warmer after what they've become acclimated to!

It's a common myth that humidity makes it feel colder. It doesn't Once the air temperature drops below freezing, the air can hold very little moisture.Dew point tells you your true humidity. When a cold front comes through and it drops to near freezing then dew points drop also drop. Relative humidity in just that; relative to the temperature. 99 percent humidty at 25 degrees is not comparable to 99% humidity at 80 degrees.
It's not just a myth, it is true. Other fellow New Englanders confirm the same thing when stepping off the plane. "40 degrees" down there simply feels colder than you would think. Here in N. Maine, it is the opposite due to the dryer more arid climate. 20 degrees here doesn't feel as unbearable as it would in RI.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not just a myth, it is true. Other fellow New Englanders confirm the same thing when stepping off the plane. "40 degrees" down there simply feels colder than you would think. Here in N. Maine, it is the opposite due to the dryer more arid climate. 20 degrees here doesn't feel as unbearable as it would in RI.
There's nothing scientific about what you are stating. It's like the old myth about cold air causes you to get a cold. Everyone swears by it, but science proved that to be total bullocks!

Both maine and ri can be humid! Look at the dewpoint when it's 20 in ri vs maine. 20 degrees in maine feels exactly the same as in RI. Maine is not a dry cold. It's not Minnesota.

It's a myth that humidity makes it feel colder

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...hing-1.1306657

Forget about me. Here's a scientist telling you. Cold air can hold very little moisture.

"Dry cold, wet cold, it's all the same says one prominent climatologist with Environment Canada.

Dave Phillips has heard it before. In the dead of winter, a person from Edmonton visits Windsor, Ont., known for its summertime humidity, and complains about the "wet cold."

It simply isn't true, Phillips said.

"There's nothing to it. It's a myth," Phillips said. "I hear it so much on the Prairies; 'at least ours is a dry cold, not like that damp cold you have in Ontario. And our heat is dry.'

"I think they think their precipitation is dry."

Phillips said -15C in Windsor feels the same as -15C in Winnipeg.

"It's part of legend. It's part of a rallying cry. They defend their brutal winters out there," Phillips said of Western Canadians. "Now, we'd probably call in the army in Ontario. And they would be going in from the patio in Winnipeg."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle28346087/

"Consider a hot summer day at 30 C. If the relative humidity is 80 per cent, a kilogram of air holds 22 grams of water; if the humidity drops to 20 per cent, the water content drops to just 5 grams – a massive difference.

At 0 C, on the other hand, the same air holds only 4 grams of water even at 100-per-cent humidity, since slower-moving water molecules are more likely to condense or freeze. By the time you get down to -25 C, that drops to less than a gram of water. Below freezing, it's fair to say that all cold is dry cold.

This objection was noted by Crow, whose exhaustive review, published in 1988, summarized the results of a series of military experiments in Canada, Britain, and the United States in the late 1950s. Hapless subjects were exposed to near-freezing temperatures at low and high humidity, with and without clothes, while having their skin and rectal temperatures measured and their subjective responses noted. Humidity didn't make any measurable difference."

Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Thanks for the scientific truth Beyond the Horizon- always great to see informative posts in this often trolled forum!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Thanks for the scientific truth Beyond the Horizon- always great to see informative posts in this often trolled forum!
No problem!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM

198 posts, read 150,708 times
One thing about moving to North Florida (North of Gainesville), during the winter is that a drive to warmer weather is only about 4 hours away. Gainesville could be 50 during the day and sometimes colder but a 4 hour drive to just south of Orlando will change that. Even Mt. Dora, which has become extremely popular of late, is but a 2 hour drive to warmer clime during the winter.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:24 PM

124 posts, read 145,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
It is settled science. The idea that beach erosion & rising sea levels are two different issues is entirely misguided. Simply put, as the sea rises & moves inland it causes erosion.
My home island has lost something like 200 feet of coastline on the southern shore since the island was first mapped in the 1700s. Water erosion will always occur irregardless of whether the sea levels are rising or not.

A few millimeters of rising seas is totally negligible.
I remember when the global warming alarmists started back in the late 80s and early 90s. They were saying much of the east coast would be under water by the year 2000, and of course we all know what happened.

Al Gore is full of crap and he's not a scientist, and quite a few of the well known global warming alarmists aren't actually scientists either.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:02 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
My home island has lost something like 200 feet of coastline on the southern shore since the island was first mapped in the 1700s. Water erosion will always occur irregardless of whether the sea levels are rising or not.

A few millimeters of rising seas is totally negligible.
I remember when the global warming alarmists started back in the late 80s and early 90s. They were saying much of the east coast would be under water by the year 2000, and of course we all know what happened.

Al Gore is full of crap and he's not a scientist, and quite a few of the well known global warming alarmists aren't actually scientists either.
I don't remember Gore ever claiming to be a scientist of any kind. However, do you disagree that over 90% of climate scientists say that human caused global warming is now the main driver of sea level rise? And, if you don't disagree, do you believe they are all lying? And, why would they lie? Scientists are supposed trade in facts. The only scientists I see who don't trade in facts are those hired by private industry to do their bidding contrary to climate consensus. Are these 90+% climate scientists in a conspiracy against the fossil fuel industry? If so, why? Are they mostly liberals seeking to install some kind of global government to control our lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island