Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 PM

164 posts, read 125,456 times

Advertisements

Fortunately - I never heard of this guys name till a few days ago, now I really don't care who he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 06:12 AM

9,315 posts, read 14,925,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While I appreciate the accurate theology references of this post, I disagree a bit about the characterization of Rhode Island's "catholic" population. It isn't my experience. My take is that most Rhode Islanders are nominal catholics at best. Most young (under 50) and/or educated catholics ignore the church & especially its social positions. When they refer to Tobin at all, it is as a joke. What's left of catholic gay bigotry in this state is generally the province of the old & uneducated. Fundamentalist protestants, on the other hand are another matter.
Agree 100%. There's also need for Tobin to state his views/pronouncements outside his own followers. Outside of his dwindling "flock", nobody cares.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 AM

12,908 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Agree 100%. There's also need for Tobin to state his views/pronouncements outside his own followers. Outside of his dwindling "flock", nobody cares.
From the business side of things, this is the dumbest thing about his Tweet - there is no "winning" outcome. He didn't change minds in his favor or win anybody over. Sure there are people who share the same views as he does, but they already did and would continue to regardless of his Tweet. He's preaching to the choir. What he DID accomplish is reminding the rest of the world that there are still old school Catholic bigots out there who don't have the sense to realize the irony of publicly demonizing a group of people for the "harm" they do to children.

I'm in my early 30s, went to Catholic School in RI and was "confirmed" in the diocese of Providence. This is the crap that made me ditch the Church as soon as I was old enough to make my own choices. Tobin's Tweet serves as a nice reminder that I made the right choice.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times
And Rhode Island responds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZYEuqKGCo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island