Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,912,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
So did the National Media report on it or not? Regardless, the Hill Rag article itself shows that isn't statues of Lincoln that are being protested here.

See Post #11, and understand there are tons of other examples just like it.

You're clinging to the Lincoln thing like it's the only example of what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
For anyone looking to discuss the Columbus statue issue with intelligence; I apologize. The thread has been morphed into right wing talk radio screed. Little chance of a serious discussion here. It is what it is. The nature of the medium.

Is all you do ad hominem?

Now the Associated Press is "right wing"?

You must inhabit an incredibly shrinking news universe.

But of course, you've already admitted this.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I just read the passages to which you are referring. He is decrying the people who are doing this-
NOT doing it himself!!!!! He is talking about obtaining gold and how some people are terrible in the sight of God and taking the easy way out to do this.

Columbus was out in search of getting rich for King and country - but to say that he was a horrible man is a bridge too far even for modern misinterpretations. He probably didn't even "discover" America as we know now- the Scandinavians were probably here before him but they didn't stay long or establish colonies.

HE was doing it! Good grief. It was him and his men! He sold them to his men. He sold them to slavers. They bragged about killing boys for fun. Dismembering natives for not meeting gold quotas. Please, read. Read the journal of Columbus. His own journal. Read the first hand accounts of Bartolome de las Casas. How they chopped natives to test the sharpness of their blades.

You do know he was imprisoned for his treatment of natives, right? He was a horrible man for his time!

And he wasn't seeking gold for king and country. Good god. What romantic nonsense. He was trying to get rich himself!!!! It's not nobility. It's GREED.

And neither Scandinavians nor he discovered America. People were here already. There were rich thriving cities (which thanks to Europeans were largely destroyed by introduced diseases and displace peoples), never mind some rinky dink colonies.

Last edited by timberline742; 06-25-2020 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I tried to with:

And that's what it really boils down to, good buddy. If that many people feel strong enough about it being removed, there is a process. Bring it before the city council. There clearly needs to be a discussion about it. Violence or destruction of property won't absolve us from any past sins.

Violence and destruction of property is now not only permissible, it is encouraged by the Woke left and their minions.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:41 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,191,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
See Post #11
Where you linked to an AP article about a Democratic State Senator injured trying to stop those removing the statue. Pretty much disproves both your argument that mainstream media are not covering this, and your weird analogy about a train on a lubricated slope.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
You mean the AP story about the event the national media didn't cover? Um.

You do a lot of tsk tsking over violence to statues of people who engaged in wholesale violence - for real. When someone kidnaps your child and sells them into slavery, let me know where we should put up the monument to that person!

It has always amused me that we were taught from the cradle that taking up arms to protest taxation was worthy and honorable, befitting a patriot. But taking up arms to fight for equality in modern times makes you a terrorist or a thug.

Yes, because your average American over 50 (those who actually vote) does not get their news from NBC, ABC, CBS or CNN. They get it from the AP. (And Channel 12 as another Maoist philosopher here so astutely pointed out.)

I did not kidnap anyone's child, but I will say this: Our History is replete with events in which we rightfully stood up to fight against oppression of people of all races, including African Americans. The Civil Rights Act democratically transformed this country. Martin Luther King's peaceful marches transformed this country. All for the better, hopefully you and I would agree on that.

White, woke college students, spray painting "F*** Whitey" on an abolitionist statue - people attacking the elderly and shop-owners in the streets, people looting and destroying private/public property - people taking over police precints, City Halls, and literally shooting each other (I mean, does it get anymore digustingly ironic that a black person was shot to death in CHAZ which was occupied by Black Lives Matter??); well, this does not rise to the level of moral romanticism you are attempting to imbue it with.

You are creating a narrative based on a Civil Rights movement of a bygone era. This is not that.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Reminded me of this. A home runner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

HA! Fantastic!

And Cuomo is a lawyer as well.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Where you linked to an AP article about a Democratic State Senator injured trying to stop those removing the statue. Pretty much disproves both your argument that mainstream media are not covering this, and your weird analogy about a train on a lubricated slope.

How so? Please explain, I must be even denser than you presume.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,191,988 times
National media aren't covering it, yet it was an AP story. "No liberal is saying 'stop the train, I wanna get off," but it was a liberal who was attacked and injured trying to stop it. Is it really that hard to understand, or are you just gaslighting?

Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
It's amazing to me people can be pro monuments to slavers. He didn't find much gold, so he became a slaver.

Great. Yeah, lets put up a statue to honor that. Lots of people into slavers, I guess.

1498 Columbus: “From here one might send, in the name of the Holy Trinity, as many slaves as could be sold…"

He loaded boats with them... before he was hauled back in chains. Of course, since he made so much money for his sponsors, they pardoned him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island