Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:44 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,713,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s what happens when the moderation supports the dog whistling.
If not supports all of their not so subtle dog whistles, at least goes purposefully deaf - indicating some bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 10:48 AM

23,674 posts, read 18,782,718 times
^Care to elaborate on that? What dog whistles? As is often the case, in this thread I was personally attacked and totally without provocation.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:21 AM

12,908 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It is just amazing how fast just average topic posts can turn so dramatically to the negative so consistently here in the Rhode Island forum.
I'm not sure I follow... we made it to the THIRD post before this one got ugly.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:25 AM

17,813 posts, read 9,247,915 times
I'm not sure it's accurate to say these are the best towns to live in RI.

They chose the best towns to live in New England for very specific categories. 2 towns in RI made the list -- Warren for Food, and Wickford (NK) for Historic Architecture. They chose Marblehead, MA for Coastal Town and noted Westerly as a worthy alternative.

https://newengland.com/travel/new-en...laces-to-live/

Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 AM

17,813 posts, read 9,247,915 times
...and I question their research.

For example, they mentioned Hunky Dory in Warren. That restaurant went out of business a couple months ago.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:36 AM

23,674 posts, read 18,782,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm not sure it's accurate to say these are the best towns to live in RI.

They chose the best towns to live in New England for very specific categories. 2 towns in RI made the list -- Warren for Food, and Wickford (NK) for Historic Architecture. They chose Marblehead, MA for Coastal Town and noted Westerly as a worthy alternative.

https://newengland.com/travel/new-en...laces-to-live/

Correct, those two towns are the best in New England for those particular categories. I already pointed out the confusion/misunderstanding.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:22 PM

I think the selection of Warren in the food category is apt. It's remarkable how much Warren punches above its weight on the food front. Particularly when you consider that Warren isn't like Nantucket, Edgartown, Provincetown, Bar Harbor, etc. where its population swells with affluent visitors for a chunk of the year. I'm actually also very familiar with Bristol, VT (the runner up in the category) and agree it's a great, underrated little town. But it's not in the same league as a place like Warren when it comes to food.

I'm less convinced about Wickford. It's an adorable village and it's architecturally impressive. It's not unworthy of the nod. That said, there are plenty of towns across the region that I think could easily be argued are at least fairly comparable to Wickford and a few that I would have a hard time arguing are bested by Wickford.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:46 PM

228 posts, read 119,091 times
What are some good restaurants in Warren?

Old 03-11-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
What are some good restaurants in Warren?
Metacom Kitchen and Bywater are my favorites on the higher end. They both have very casual atmospheres but the food is on par fancier, more expensive places in Boston or Providence. Bywater did an impromptu pre-fixe menu for us on a Sunday in December for $65/each (about 10 large courses, more than we could hope to finish). A La Carte is more reasonable. Bywater definitely focuses more on the seafood, but I had the best pork chop I've ever had in my life there. So it's not just seafood. Metacom Kitchen does a "Daily Duck" which is almost always what I go with (preparation changes daily), but everything is very good. Bywater has a pretty unique beverage program (not just beer/cocktails/wine, but really unique ciders and other beverages), so it's worth asking for recommendations.

The Revival and Waterdog are great upper mid-range places. The food is very good and both have a nice atmosphere.

For even more casual, The Square Peg is a good pub environment with a solid menu. Chomp makes excellent (if a bit excessive) burgers, and The Guild actually has a very good kitchen for a "beer hall."

Amaral's and Blount have good fried seafood (I prefer Amaral's) and reasonable prices.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:37 PM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
If not supports all of their not so subtle dog whistles, at least goes purposefully deaf - indicating some bias.

In the Massachusetts forum, they're actively part of the dog whistle brigade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island