Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,332 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to say that these forums are terrific. So much interesting information, and so many different points of view. I hope lots Rhode Islanders will respond to my question, which is essentially this: What steps do you think Rhode Island needs to take to turn its economy around?

While looking through the posts here, a few of the common themes I've noticed are that taxes are really high, the economy is in a recession, there are very few jobs available and the only way to get one is to know someone, as opposed to applying and being qualified, and they are low paying. I'm curious to know what those who live in Rhode Island think about these assessments. Are they accurate? If so, what needs to happen to change these things? What kind of reforms should be made? What sort of industries should be courted to locate in RI? What kind of political solutions might exist?

I do understand that these problems exist not just in RI but in much of New England. The nation's economy as a whole definitely needs some work, and we're riding out some tough times with energy prices and mortgage woes. I'm just curious as to what Rhodys think are the answers to their situation, and I'm pretty sure asking the people is better than asking the politicians.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefriggin View Post
First I'd like to say that these forums are terrific. So much interesting information, and so many different points of view. I hope lots Rhode Islanders will respond to my question, which is essentially this: What steps do you think Rhode Island needs to take to turn its economy around?

While looking through the posts here, a few of the common themes I've noticed are that taxes are really high, the economy is in a recession, there are very few jobs available and the only way to get one is to know someone, as opposed to applying and being qualified, and they are low paying. I'm curious to know what those who live in Rhode Island think about these assessments. Are they accurate? If so, what needs to happen to change these things? What kind of reforms should be made? What sort of industries should be courted to locate in RI? What kind of political solutions might exist?

I do understand that these problems exist not just in RI but in much of New England. The nation's economy as a whole definitely needs some work, and we're riding out some tough times with energy prices and mortgage woes. I'm just curious as to what Rhodys think are the answers to their situation, and I'm pretty sure asking the people is better than asking the politicians.

Thanks everyone.
we are slowly building toward more high tech and financial institutions. But, this is a political problem with over spending. With a one party system we have no new ideas injected or if so they are over whelmingly rejected without further discussion. With a one party system we have no compromise. It has been said that if our spending was just at yearly cost of living rates for the last 10 years we would have a surplus of $600,000,000. But the moment we have extra money; excess taxes, tobacco funds, etc., we spend it for social needs. We need more Republican state representatives to balance out our state congress. Believe me if we had a Republican controlled state congress I would be asking for more Democrats. An out of balance congress does not work.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Our Democratic State COngress vote like Republicans when it comes to economic issues! They go along with our Republican Governor almost every time. So getting more Republicans in won't solve a damn thing. It may, in fact, make it worse.

What we need to do is elect more progressive Democrats to the legislature. Democrats who understand that we need to lower property taxes for the middle class by making the wealthy pay their fair share. (The middle class disproportionately shoulders the tax burden in this state.) MA and CT both raised their capital gains taxes in order to decrease property taxes, and their economies are doing better for it. I don't know what this state has against asking the wealthy pony up like everyone else does.

The Republican Governor just cut aid to cities and towns as a way to "save money without raising taxes." Not only is this bad for infrastructure, but it will - by default, raise property taxes - the most regressive tax there is.

So think outside the box. This may be a "one party" system. But when it comes to economics, about 60% of that party behaves more like the other party. So just because somebody has a (D) next to their name, that doesn't mean they vote like one! If they did, this Congress would override a hell of a lot more of the Governor's vetoes.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Good question! RI definitely needs more political activists. This group (see link) is working on issues like why the state hasn't implemented the separation of powers amendment that was passed 3 1/2 years ago by the people.

Common Cause of RI

Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
What we need to do is elect more progressive Democrats to the legislature. Democrats who understand that we need to lower property taxes for the middle class by making the wealthy pay their fair share. (The middle class disproportionately shoulders the tax burden in this state.) MA and CT both raised their capital gains taxes in order to decrease property taxes, and their economies are doing better for it. I don't know what this state has against asking the wealthy pony up like everyone else does.

I don't know about Ct., but the property taxes in Ma. are going up, not down.
Don't make the mistake of trying to emulate your neighbor to the north.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
how about start w/ an increase in jobs.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 13,332 times
What kind of jobs do you think are needed (well, besides just high-paying ones)? What kind of companies need to locate in RI to add to the job pool? Who are the people who can't get jobs? What are their skills? Do you think if the economy turns around, that will generate more jobs in the industries already in place, like education, finance, technology, etc.?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM

jobs based in emerging areas that will create growth and a future for providence. tech, bio, medicine, finance. new industry that will make providence more identifiable. Plenty of smart,educated people here, just a matter of bringing in the companies.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM

100 posts, read 466,124 times
Quote:
"jobs based in emerging areas that will create growth and a future for providence. tech, bio, medicine, finance. new industry that will make providence more identifiable. Plenty of smart,educated people here, just a matter of bringing in the companies.
That's crazy talk, give us more cooks helpers, state subsidized day care providers and social workers!!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch10 View Post
That's crazy talk, give us more cooks helpers, state subsidized day care providers and social workers!!

why is that crazy talk? those new jobs would tons more tax revenue for the already in major debt state govt. Then you could actually fund and create more jobs with a decent salary for your "subsidized day care and social workers". My suggestion would also benefit providence in the long term, your only thinking short temporary bandaid fixes.

and ps. what do you mean you need cooks? JW creates a huge surplus in chefs in prov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island