Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 86,980 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Been checking out the RI forum and will try to not repeat questions...but....

After 11yrs in NYC I am moving home to RI. I have contacts/fam/friends but still would like some feedback from folks that don't know me (in other words objective).

Prov Neighborhoods...
I'm reading alot about "downcity", Fed Hill, East Side. These areas seem to be much more developed and diverse than when I lived in RI 11yrs ago (we had no "down city", just downtown and i avoided like the plague). Would these be good areas for a RIer turned NYCer turned RIer again to move? I've lived in East Harlem in Manhattan so I can handle (and like diverse hoods) but would like it to be SAFE. Also noticed all the "loft conversions" which i'm uber excited about. Any suggestions on nice lofts for approx 800-900/month (i know it would studio size for that $$$)? (i'm open to a loft rental outside of providence).

Arts Scene...
I'm an actress/writer/producer/filmmaker. I have a contact on that scene but would like some input on whether the downtown arts scene is "really" what I'm hearing (which is it's kicking a** compared to 11yrs ago).

That's it for now. I know about the job market being crap, so i've already got my administrative resume circulating and hoping for the best.

Your input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Anyone?

Anyone? Hello? Any advice? thank you

Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,546 times
I can't give you a lot of advice, the art scene isn't really my cup of tea. I'd say it's alive and well but I have no clue if it's indeed kicking any rear.

The East Side and Federal Hill are nice areas. You've got tons of restaurants, tons of young people on the East Side, lots of small shops and coffee places. It's a vibrant area.

Now, when it comes to Down City and its lofts...I lived in Downtown Providence for five years and recently moved away to Bristol. When I moved to Providence I somehow had it in my head that I would move to a mini Manhattan. I certainly didn't find that. Yes, Downcity has lots of lofts and I'm sure it has improved over the last years. Yes, there are clubs and bars which are crowded and busy on the weekend. Yes, there are quite a few new stores around the Westminster area. Are they anything special? No.

I'll tell you why...a rather large percentage of these new places are completely soulless for the lack of a better description. They're stores which exist solely to cater to the crowd the Downcity developers want to attract - affluent mid twenty somethings who have a decent job and money to spent. So you've got antique stores, wine stores and house furnishings. Really awesome. If you look closely, you'll find a couple interesting smaller stores in between, but nothing really great.

So if you come from East Harlem I think you might be very disappointed. Downtown Providence isn't an area which has grown naturally, it's a developers' playground and it shows. Oh, and forget about diversity or artists living there, the rents are too high for that kind of crowd.

Nevertheless, if you want to give it a try, there are a couple loft places. One of them is the Westminster Lofts group. I'm sure there are a couple others but I'm not too familiar with anything outside of Downtown.

When it comes to safety issues, I would rank the East Side as the safest, followed by Federal Hill and then Downtown. While Downtown has improved somewhat over the last few years, it's still a sketchy area, especially late at night.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM

thank you GermanSpy! That's actually quite helpful

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,142 times
Well we have AS220 and Trinity right downtown still so there's some arts for you. AS220 has converted some space into affordable artist live/work spaces over the years I beleive. I find the East Side and Federal Hill have a lot more neighborhood type conveniences within walking distance than downtown does. And the good thing is both are still within walking distance of downtown so you can easily get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island