Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 50,974 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where there are good places to go cliff or bridge jumping in Rhode Island, Connecticut, or Massachusetts? I'm looking for anywhere to go, small or big. All locations would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 AM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times
The only places I know are in Jamestown and Newport. Here is a cool site which may give you some ideas: SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors skinny dipping

Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 50,974 times
bump

Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM

257 posts, read 1,335,447 times
A lot of people jump off the cliffs at Fort Wetherill in Jamestown. You have to be careful there is a way back up them though, and that the currents aren't too strong at that time. Also a known bridge jumping spot is the Rte 1A (Boston Neck Rd) bridge over the Narrow River in Narragansett, right near Narraganseet Pier. I would only do it at high tide though...

Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
An easy one that's about 35-40 feet is the drawbridge at the end of route 88 in Westport, MA... right near Horseneck Beach/ the Back Eddy. I've jumped that three times this summer with friends. It's fun and very safe (currents can pick up at times, but not bad). Absolutely do it at high tide.

I've jumped off of the Route 24/ Assonet river overpass a few times but only because my family lived in the adjacent neighborhood. You'd have to have a canoe and launch from hathaway park or porter pasture to get to it, but it's not a bad 35 footer... ONLY high tide will do as it's only about 10ft deep at high tide (soft bottom though).

Finally, the "ledge" at the Quarry in the Freetown/Fall River state forest is an EXCELLENT high jump. It's about 60-65 feet into 40 foot deep spring-fed water. I wouldn't suggest it unless you are experienced in jumping from that height. I've seen too many injuries here (fractured vertabrae, broken ribs, etc). Landing properly is the most important thing. The jumping spot is an overhanging rock to the right (if you're facing the cliff from the ground below) where you can land easily in very deep water. DO NOT jump from the highest point of the ledge... if you look down from that point you will clearly see that the cliff ends under water and there is a shallow shelf. People have been killed jumping here. Jump from the overhanging rock (you should see it relatively quickly), and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island