Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:48 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
The good thing is is that when oil prices go up high enough, people aren't gonna be living in disconnected autocentric crap. This wont be going on in 100 years.
you really don't think we will find alternative sources of energy by then? in the 1800s people were whining that we were going to run out of coal lol. with high oil prices there is a strong profit incentive to innovate. trust me it will happen. i dont know if we will still have cars in 100 years, but we will certainly have some sort of popular vehicle- perhaps safer, better and faster than today's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
you really don't think we will find alternative sources of energy by then? in the 1800s people were whining that we were going to run out of coal lol. with high oil prices there is a strong profit incentive to innovate. trust me it will happen. i dont know if we will still have cars in 100 years, but we will certainly have some sort of popular vehicle- perhaps safer, better and faster than today's car.
But eventually somebody is going to have the sense to stop sprawl, and instead, make areas more urban, and include light rail as a major form of transportation.

The End of Suburbia - 52 minute documentary on peak oil - YouTube

New Urbanisim.
Congress for the New Urbanism

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
You still have congestion , and Driveless cars won't solve that. So you need Transit , and in Europe there speed limits are higher , between 90-140mph on Rural Highways in Germany , 80-100mph in most of Western Europe. There cars get better fuel mileage some as high as 80mpg. Europe , Australia and Parts of Asia are perfect examples of balance Transportation cultures , they have highways and roads , along with Light Rail , Subways in there cities and regional Rail / Intercity connects the cities and towns... Sadly in North America the Oil , Auto and Air Industry's have prevented the Rail industry from bouncing back like it did in Australia , UK and South America... They also have prevented development of alt fuels to oil.... Europe and Japan are way ahead in that dept. Auto use is on the decline and has been since 1995 , dropping 15% , Public Transit usage is on the Rise nationwide up 46% since 1995.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Being someone who chooses to ride GRTC everyday back and forth to work, I can say that GRTC does not appear to be in a spot to expand service. I really really hope that BRT will get funding (maybe the 2015 bike championships will tip things in the right direction), but GRTC is frequently looking to drop service on routes that don't keep pace. Ridership is so-so, with the most service in areas where people can't afford a car. The failure of the counties to support PT reduces the benefit of a BRT system that they will most certainly not support.

I'm optimistic that service will get better, like GPS on buses (that would be huge, but still hasn't happened), but such a large investment would need to be backed by a different public perspective on PT and regional support.
Just had to call myself out, because I recently learned that GRTC is in fact developing GPS maps for all their bus lines, and will be putting out an app in the near future. The link below seems to go to a production-level site, but I think they're still testing; and the app isn't ready yet.

http://grtcbustracker.com/

Old 08-14-2012, 03:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
So by 2015 we may possibly have what other cities have had for decades? Way to go GRTC!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Just had to call myself out, because I recently learned that GRTC is in fact developing GPS maps for all their bus lines, and will be putting out an app in the near future. The link below seems to go to a production-level site, but I think they're still testing; and the app isn't ready yet.

http://grtcbustracker.com/
Yeah I was looking at that a couple weeks ago. It's something a lot of other transit services in other cities have. Glad to know GRTC will be releasing one soon.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
So by 2015 we may possibly have what other cities have had for decades? Way to go GRTC!
Richmond is certainly behind the times on this stuff, but I think it's more of the Richmond state of mind (and politics) than it is about GRTC.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
From the GGDC site:

Richmond maps out a better transit network - Greater Greater Washington

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Lol I'll believe that when I see it. This story comes up every 5-10 years. Even my grandparents tell me about them.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Nice dream, once again everything is center on downtown although most people probally work in the counties. You can't justify this kind of infastructure when the demand is not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond