Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
There are a lot of responses here that seem to be from people who have never been discriminated against to the point where they have to fear for their lives. As two women living alone, my wife and I have no choice but to be careful choosing our neighbors. Where some people may be offended, we may be physically harmed. You personally not knowing anyone who would do such a thing doesn't change the reality that I have been screamed at and threatened, more than once, by carloads of scary young men right around RVA. Had a soda thrown out of the car once (they missed). We've been asked not to hold hands in front of kids as it's "disrespectful." Always in the 'burbs and not in the city proper, but that may have to do with where I've chosen to live. I like nature, and I'm not going to be cowed, but it does factor into the equation of whether it's safe.

To the OP - my wife and I live in a mixed race, mixed income (mostly middle to upper middle) section South of the river known as Stratford Hills. Our neighbors, some of whom are quite religious and conservative, are lovely. If I were you, I'd stay within the boundaries of the City of Richmond, there are some nice spots that don't feel like urban city living at all, but RPS schools have a horrible reputation, so there aren't a lot of families with kids around.
A lot of people just don't understand when you are from a minority population (I'm black so I know this very well) we don't have a margin for error when trying to avoid living where we could be putting ourselves into dangerous situations via discrimination. People on this thread think the OP is worried about people not accepting her lifestyle, I read it as OP is concerned not about acceptance, but safety. Probably 90% of Richmond could care less if OP is gay, it's the 10% that is concerning and what extent they will go through to express their hate. There have been a lot of hate crimes since Trump won the election, so OP is not paranoid for being concerned about surrounding herself with people who will not target her for her lifestyle, she is aware that she is in a vulnerable position and trying to do her best to protect herself and her partner.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 16,105 times
Thank you, those who actually understood.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:39 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The last line has it correct. Virginia would also have been Red, like the rest of the South, if it wasn't for 1 county, which is the one that is right next to DC, Fairfax Co.
Be that as it may, the Richmond area also voted strongly against Trump - he carried Chesterfield by 4k votes, (ie barely) and lost the city of Richmond (resoundingly) and Henrico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond