Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2021, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

Friends,

My husband and I have recently transitioned from the Hampton Roads area ( Newport News ) to the Mechanicsville area, close to 95. We are currently living in an apartment while I transition into a new job at Quantico and my husband continues to work at the NN Shipyard. We chose this area because it works for a commute each way for us ( yes we know this commute is long but it was a sacrifice we were willing to make for this job).

We are currently in search of a new home and are in a short term lease until we can fully learn and find a new place in a desirable area. We don't give a crap about the politics of our neighbors, we love all people as long as people are kind. We are looking for a good place to live that has some space ( approx 3-5 acres ) we have a budget between (450-550) but want to keep it on the lower end. We don't prefer city life but we love to visit the city for fun and entertainment. We are basically looking for the best of both worlds. Schools are a non factor for now, we plan to try and start a family in the next year or so.

We have looked in Mechanicsville, King William and the surrounding areas. That said we don't know much about the surrounding areas. Are there "vibes" for each place? Hampton roads had many a vibe and each was different though the cities were close to each other. At the moment we are a bit homesick for that area and we're trying to find our happy place to help with that. We want to become established, make some friends and enjoy our community. Right now it just feels like everything is next to an interstate. We have zero desire to live a life that resembles anything like living in DC. I guess you can call us country folks. We do NOT want an HOA.

Hopefully what we want exists. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Pls no negativity keepin it positive round here, though honesty is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 04:17 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
As you look to buy consider if you want sewer and public water or a septic tank and a well. I have a friend who has a well, but the water is no longer fit to drink and she has to buy drinking / cooking water.

VCU Health has opened up an emergency facility in New Kent:

https://www.vcuhealth.org/locations/...er-at-new-kent

Old 03-21-2021, 04:10 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessann05er View Post
Friends,

My husband and I have recently transitioned from the Hampton Roads area ( Newport News ) to the Mechanicsville area, close to 95. We are currently living in an apartment while I transition into a new job at Quantico and my husband continues to work at the NN Shipyard. We chose this area because it works for a commute each way for us ( yes we know this commute is long but it was a sacrifice we were willing to make for this job).

We are currently in search of a new home and are in a short term lease until we can fully learn and find a new place in a desirable area. We don't give a crap about the politics of our neighbors, we love all people as long as people are kind. We are looking for a good place to live that has some space ( approx 3-5 acres ) we have a budget between (450-550) but want to keep it on the lower end. We don't prefer city life but we love to visit the city for fun and entertainment. We are basically looking for the best of both worlds. Schools are a non factor for now, we plan to try and start a family in the next year or so.

We have looked in Mechanicsville, King William and the surrounding areas. That said we don't know much about the surrounding areas. Are there "vibes" for each place? Hampton roads had many a vibe and each was different though the cities were close to each other. At the moment we are a bit homesick for that area and we're trying to find our happy place to help with that. We want to become established, make some friends and enjoy our community. Right now it just feels like everything is next to an interstate. We have zero desire to live a life that resembles anything like living in DC. I guess you can call us country folks. We do NOT want an HOA.

Hopefully what we want exists. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Pls no negativity keepin it positive round here, though honesty is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

My dad and sister live in the Aylett/Central Garage area. From there you can shoot up Rt30 to the King's Dominion exit off I95 for work, or south down Rt360 to Mechanicsville/Richmond for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond