Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM

67 posts, read 282,862 times

Advertisements

badger74...maybe I shoud say that I do wish I could look at Lynchburg with your eyes. I say this with out irony. Your "Lynchburg" sure is nicer then "mine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,658,207 times
From the News Advance letters--sometimes being "conservative" is not so bad although here I think he means personal finances:

"For months now, we have been exposed to negative reports on residential real estate. These reports have been based on stories involving the failure of subprime mortgages, an unusually high number of loan foreclosures and a drastic reduction in new home construction. While this might be true in Texas, California, and some large metropolitan areas, I can say as a longtime real estate agent in Lynchburg that it is definitely not true of our area.
The following are facts involving the Lynchburg area market: The number of sales through Oct. 30, 2007, was up 2½ percent. Sales did drop off in November and December, but in my opinion, the negative news partially contributed to this drop.
Subprime mortgage lending has not been a strong factor in the Lynchburg area. Further, foreclosures were processed at a modest rate. The media has quoted figures statewide and even nationwide, and the negative message, in many cases, results in concerns by the consumer and creates a delay in decisions to buy or to sell. This, in turn, will put a crimp in any market.
All of the above factors have helped to create a “buyers market,” and subsequently there is a great opportunity for home purchasers.
Our area is blessed with excellent schools - both public and private, a stable economy, and home prices considerably lower than the national average. The market has had, for many years, a steady 3 to 4 percent rate of appreciation, and there is no valid reason for that to change.
In conclusion, the Lynchburg real estate market is alive and well, and there is no reason to compare it to other cities. Our conservative lifestyle is an insulator from erratic and unstable markets, and it is important for the people here to get the accurate picture and be positive about the future."
J.P. VAUGHAN
Lynchburg

Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Note that I did add a wink to the end of the Lynchburg jibe. A wink implied I wasn't truly being serious. Lynchburg and its associated metro area is a fine place to call home.

Lynchburg does have less crime than Roanoke. With that said, I suspect very few of us reading the forum come into close contact with the neighborhoods where 90% of violent crimes occur, and that goes for both cities. Roanoke City is 20% smaller in land area than Lynchburg City but has 30% more people. With a population density over 50% denser in Roanoke City, crime is bound to be higher. However, crime in outlying counties within the Roanoke MSA is MUCH lower. For example, violent crime in Bedford County within the Lynchburg MSA is notably higher than it is in Franklin County within the Roanoke MSA.

Roanoke has large areas of very low crime - as does Lynchburg. The per capita income is $25K in Lynchburg and it's $33K in Roanoke. Unfortunately, Roanoke's inner city has a bigger hill to climb socio-economically than does Lynchburg's inner city. But the potential for realizing the 'American Dream' seems more likely in Roanoke, at this point anyway. Lynchburg lacks the availability of white collar jobs. The proof is in the out-commuter statistics. Fully 12% of Lynchburg MSA residents leave the MSA and work in other areas. That's huge! Nearly all of them (80-90%) travel to Roanoke City or Roanoke County for those jobs. Virtually no one in the Roanoke Metro travels to Lynchburg for work. That's a big problem down the road if it's not solved. It's limiting Lynchburg City's growth massively at present. Most of the growth in the Lynchburg MSA is actually in Bedford County near SML. It seems like more and more they're identifying with the SML Area which is tied ever more inextricably with the Franklin County economy (Westlake, Water's Edge, Rocky Mount). Both areas have challenges, but both areas are heading in the right direction.

Sean

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Williams View Post
Something is wrong when one drives to work and get angry and depressed by a town.
very true. When you start thinking like that is when this website can come in real handy. Maybe it's time to do some relo research.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,778 times
I love to reply to posts like this. I've been around a bit at this point in my life. I've lived in Roanoke for 3 years, and grew up not far from Roanoke. I've lived in Atlanta for about 7 years now. I think put simply that the big reason a lot of people like roanoke is this.... Roanoke is NOT Atlanta... Roanoke is NOT NOVA... Roanoke is NOT Charlotte, not Orlando, Not Greensboro, Not Raleigh, Not Knoxville, Not Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cincinatti, Not Richmond, Jacksonville, Dallas.... or any of the other more "prosperous" cities. It is a very distinct place, in my opinion. Many people leave places like Roanoke for greener pastures. After years of living in the promised land, they ask themselves... "now why did I leave Roanoke again?" I personally really miss that area. I would probably not have gotten rich in sw va, but hey... i'm a far cry from wealth and my 200' mega yacht and my leer jet here in suburbia too.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,658,207 times
My data for income shows that L metro has a per capita of $28,846 and R is $32,587. That is from the 11/07 Economy.com reports on the two metros. 1131 people moved from L to R and 1190 moved from R to L. L has 10.7% employed in Prof and Bus services while R has 13.5%. L has 14.2% in health& education while R has 13.5%. L has much higher average earnings for manufacturing industry jobs $67,575 v R at $58,716.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Funny Steve Here are where all my most recent neighbors and friends are from:

Orlando, Miami, Charlotte, Charlottesville, Long Island, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, etc.

Sean

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,778 times
I'd like to go back to Roanoke someday, Sean. It's sort of like Atlanta (and similar cities) holds you hostage...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:43 AM

14 posts, read 43,389 times
I moved from Sweden to just outside Lynchburg a few years ago. My Virginian born wife wanted to live closer to her parents and go back to school (in her native language). I visited Lynchburg many years before I even moved here. It has come a long way but still needs to improve in many aspects. Driving through Lynchburg does make me feel “funny” in a bad way. I get this pressure over my chest. Very eerie indeed. I agree Boonsboro is nice. I have never really spent much time there except visiting the Boonsboro Kroger (has a much better selection of items then the average Lynchburg grocery store…and hey you can buy decent wine there too!!!). This past Halloween were were invited by one of the doctors my wife works with to a get together in Boonsboro. I truly enjoyed this. Nice surroundings, very nice people (and not a confederate battle flag in sight). I bet you can live in Boonsboro and never see such a flag in several days. The other day I decided to count the amount of such flags and bumper stickers I saw while driving to work. I lost count at 14 and I was not even at my job by then….

I have to agree Roanoke is much nicer. Giving it a three out of five sounds fair. I have never lived in over crowded NJ, but I take Roanoke over Lynchburg any day

I really do not understand how Lynchburg can be wealthier then Roanoke. Most of Lynchburg looks like the slum out of move about era of the civil rights movement. I assume that Smith Mountain Lake might be included in Lynchburg, but seriously, Smith Mountain Lake isn’t Lynchburg

I did not know so many people here traveled to Roanoke for a decent job. But then, I sort of do. I work for an organization that spans most of what my father in law calls “real Virginia” . (He calls NoVa “occupied Virginia”, you know Yankees who eat sushi and do other liberal things……I choose to laugh….) and I actually for our Roanoke headquarters but I am stationed in Lynchburg most days.

The job market is quite sad and pathetic. We do have three Universities here. How have Lynchburg managed to focus so extremely strongly on manufacturing???? When we moved here it took me close to three years to get a full time job. Before that I had to get by making $7.5 at a group home. For a long time I thought I was a pathetic useless person. Then I realized that even though I speak fluent English (ok, I have a slight accent) have a University degree from a college in Virginia as well as studies in London and have good computer skills, I am not really welcomed in the Lynchburg job force. As I said for a long time I thought I was the problem, then I realized that the problem lies else were. This did not do a whole lot for my confidence. If it wasn’t for a specific Yankee living & working in Lynchburg I would still make $7.5 /h and no benefits

…or maybe I am just ignorant and do not understand anything. We all learn as we go along so maybe one day I will understand all this better, who knows?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,792 times
I'd like to know how old the original poster is. Perhaps too young to appreciate Roanoke and the reasons why those of us who love it, stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area