Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 AM

100 posts, read 335,287 times

Advertisements

I have tried to search the forum but can not find much info on the area. or for that matter much real estate either. Husband is heading out maybe this weekend for police testing then if he is chosen a interview...We might just drive out and stay for the few days look around etc with the kids.

Areas I would want to avoid. Much to do out there? cant be much different than where we live now thats for sure.
Other towns near by that might be better? We live on the most eastern part of va so its gonna be a ride .....but a scenic one LOL at least.

any pointers before we go would be great!!! thanks
amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 AM

246 posts, read 782,472 times
Look here:

moving to area (Covington) from Texas

Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM

read that one I do believe thanks

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Are you coming from the Eastern Shore?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM

88 posts, read 179,554 times
amanda,
it is a very beautiful area... but you will undoubtably have a hard time finding housing. We are going on 4 months looking here and there's just not much to chose from. All the schools (i hear) are very good so no worries there. Other outlying areas to keep in mind.... Fincastle, Lexington, Troutville... all nice areas but would be about a 45 minute commute. Good luck and enjoy your search!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM

yeah the eastern shore....lol I know a good long trip. He has reschedueled his testing for thrusday, so we are going to head out on wednesday. They said there are three positions with the police dept. and I think 20 apps. to take the test and interview, So he has a pretty good chance. He isn't certified but has law enforcement experience, and the others dont. (they told him that since he was coming from such a distance) so he would be able to figure if its were worth our while to head out there.

I had planned on home schooling my oldest at least this year any ways since our system seems to like to push them thru wither they are ready or not. his reading level is just below a second grade level and he is going into third all I was ever told is that he was doing well. plus with the chance of moving having to pull him out of school and rush him to get into school figure it would be best to try this route for now.

isnt clifton forge near by as well?? thought I read that they have a train that runs to DC..... bro inlaw lives outside DC now. Cant find much online on real estate, someone told me they are listed in the mls. so that sucks. plus we werent sure (if he did get the job) if we were going to rent or try to buy. Credit is in a better place now, but with him maybe getting a new job not sure if we could even get a loan.
renting worries us cause we have a 2 yr old choc lab scared that we might not find anything in our range

PLUS..... not knowing if his mother is full of hot air when she says she is going to help us buy something and get relocated, since she helped his older brother after his divorce. so needless to say just dont wanna get my hopes up

Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM

88 posts, read 179,554 times
Clfton Forge is right next door so to speak, and the two cities actully share the county school system. No clue about the train but that should be easy info for you to find out. As for renting... very scarce there so your best bet would be to grab a paper while you're there; then you can scan the rentals and homes for sale. I had to dig my way through to find the local realty websites since most of them are NOT on the mls. Here are a few I have became familiar with.... www.vareal_estate.com (broken link); www.greenwaysrealestateandauction.com; www.jamesriverrealtyva.com; www.highlands-realty.com; www.raceydean.com; and www.fairfieldfarmsrealty.com; www.freshestates.com; www.ahchamber.com/realty (http://www.ahchamber.com/realty - broken link). Hope that helps!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:20 PM

oh thanks I sure will, we will have the kiddos with us so going to get a look around while we are there, going to get there wed. and thursday is his testing then leave sometime friday morning no rush. We are about (via mapquest) 5 and a half hrs away. not as bad as I thought. was thinking its around 6 or 7 hrs. guess in bad traffic it could be lol. thanks for the links I think I have looked at a couple of those myself this week. and your right not much online to look at ....at least not the kind of properties we would be looking for. Not looking for anythig fancy but have at least a decent size yard not a town lot. I love gardening and would love some day to have a chicken coop plus room for the dog and kids.

its funny cause last night when he told his mom he was diffinately going to the interview/testing she was estatic, saying get this job I will help you buy what ever house you want LOL have to see that to believe it!!! we booked our hotel rooms and man all were booked up cept the comfort inn, and the holiday inn express (the one the officer recommended) was charging 112 the first night and 179 for thursday night!! yikes dont even cost that much here in va beach unless you go down to the beach front. Must be a busy time of year I really didnt think it would be but who knows

thanks yall

Old 07-31-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda757 View Post
yeah the eastern shore....
How are you driving here? Rt.13 to Rt. 50 to 495 to 66 to 81 to 64? or...

Rt. 13 to 64? or...

some other way?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 AM

pretty sure 13 to 64 ....my mother said that you get off 64 then get back on again near or after lexington, but either way we have a gps if things get a little hairy lol mother inlaw gave us hers since her new car has one built in. she was just out that way recently since my brother decided to go to ferrum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area