Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

I found this on the General US forum: Should we wait it out or move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,937 times
Sounds like she's miserable enough to where she couldn't be any more miserable here than she is there. I think our winters are less harsh than theirs anyways, so they'd at least be making a positive stride when it comes to dealing with crappy weather lol.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
I've never heard such a conflicting set of feelings about a move within one person as this poor woman. She sounds both miserable and happy in Minneapolis at the same time. It sounds like things are getting dire and neither she nor her husband have been employed for a good while so this job opportunity here may be their only chance. It must be terrifying and I'm sure that moving away from their families is the biggest thing holding her back (all other differences are moot) but it sounds like she is getting fonder of the idea of moving here if it means her family will be financially stable in doing so.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 PM

317 posts, read 826,639 times
She seems so conflicted and is horrified of the unknown, but at same time she knows she needs to make a change. The support, help, and answers she got was awesome. I tried to add some rep points, but I had recently already given love to Ckthank and 585. Great job anyway.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,451,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Sounds like she's miserable enough to where she couldn't be any more miserable here than she is there. I think our winters are less harsh than theirs anyways, so they'd at least be making a positive stride when it comes to dealing with crappy weather lol.
Kinda/sorta disagree about the winters, that end of the Great Lakes gets much less snow and "up and down" weather changes, compared with Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Colder, yes, but it stays cold. More sunshine out there.

Lady sounds conflicted. I'll say this, FWIW:

Rochester did not get hit nearly as bad as most metros during the worst of the downturn. No clue about Minneapolis/St. Paul, although I know they didn't get hit nearly as bad as other similarly-sized metros across the country. If people are looking for solid, gainful employment (and this applies to anybody), then by all means they should make a move. Not every metro is solid in every job category, and probably won't be for a very long time, and some are stronger in specific categories than others right now. One thing they need to consider are the taxes, they're much higher in Upstate, NY.

i disagree with the poster about Minneapolis (although it sounds like she's never been there), the little I've experienced there reminded me of Rochester. The other two in the Midwest would be Indy and Ft. Wayne.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Minneapolis and Rochester are roughly at the same latitude; with Minneapolis being slightly farther north. I'd say out winter weather "equals out" with theirs. They get much colder than we do (our average high in January is about 31, if they crack the 30 degree mark there a couple days in January, it's a warmspell) and get white-out/blizzard conditions more frequently. We don't get sub-zero for nearly the duration or intensity that they do and blizzards aren't as common here, but we get much more snow from the lake effect and have a lot less sunshine. It's pretty much a wash. However, I'd venture to say that our summer and fall are probably a bit nicer than in MN. It can get really humid there and they are on the northern fringe of "tornado alley".

Bottom line though is the job. If both she and her husband are unemployed there, and there is a job opportunity here; all other things set aside, I think the move may be their only option...which is probably what has the poor woman so frazzled anyways, the idea that they HAVE to move to survive financially. That's a very difficult situation especially when it means they are leaving family behind.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,451,701 times
Several couples we know were in the same boat going back 2.5 to 3 years, and one in particular had already moved out of Michigan when things got real bad there around '06 or so. The latter couple moved to Columbia, SC, and both lost their jobs barely a year after getting there.

Guess what I'm driving at is we know folks who were frustrated and at their wits' end. I think these folks in MN just might like Rochester, as the metro they're from is strikingly similar to Rochester.

Kinda related: What's with the Forbes article on the jobs situation in Rochester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area