Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
First of all, Charlotte is not an "urban" area--it's a village located far outside of Rochester proper, and many of the people who live there have family who've lived there forever.

As I said, Rochester's tax base has continued to dwindle, with people moving out of the city (and many, to Charlotte) to get away from the crime, lack of services (there's no money), and decrepit housing (that wasn't always decrepit) that The PTB who are running out of taxpayers' pockets to pick see Charlotte as the cash cow. But it won't be for long when the city's problems soon become Charlotte's problems. Few millionaires will want to spend their millions in housing right next to Section 8 or even "market-based" housing.

Sadly, it'll spell the end for Charlotte.
Charlotte is the city proper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
First of all, Charlotte is not an "urban" area--it's a village located far outside of Rochester proper, and many of the people who live there have family who've lived there forever.

As I said, Rochester's tax base has continued to dwindle, with people moving out of the city (and many, to Charlotte) to get away from the crime, lack of services (there's no money), and decrepit housing (that wasn't always decrepit) that The PTB who are running out of taxpayers' pockets to pick see Charlotte as the cash cow. But it won't be for long when the city's problems soon become Charlotte's problems. Few millionaires will want to spend their millions in housing right next to Section 8 or even "market-based" housing.

Sadly, it'll spell the end for Charlotte.
There's quite a bit of fud in your information.

huh? Charlotte is a village located outside of Rochester proper? Umm..no it isn't. It IS a part of Rochester city proper. And if anybody living in Charlotte doesn't realize this, then they didn't do their research before becoming a homeowner.

As far as decrepit, have you seen Charlotte before? Up until the city started putting money back into the area, it was a disaster. The community has done nothing to keep it respectable. Where has everybody been demanding any sort of development in the area? But as soon as any plans are put forth, then they come out in full force opposing it. I'm not stupid and I hope others aren't falling for this tactic. The reason is because they don't want any development period in the area. They want to keep it as unattractive as possible to keep all the "outsiders" out of the area.

And have you seen the proposals? Millionaires don't want to be next to "market based" housing? You realize the lowest tier that is being proposed for this "market based" housing is targeting single people making 56,000 or couples making over 60,000. I didn't realize "millionaires" were so opposed to living around those low-lifes making only 56 grand.

And the end for Charlotte? Could you possibly be more dramatic about it? These are exactly the tactics being used by those opposing the development. Make it seem like nobody else belongs in the community besides those living there currently, and then exaggerate about how these development projects are going to "destroy" the area.

It's very important that Rochester develop this area for the longer term viability of the entire city and area. I'm so tired of everybody wanting their cake and to eat it too. Where they themselves want to move into or control areas that are urban based, and then kick and scream when other development projects pop up across the street from them.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
There's quite a bit of fud in your information.

huh? Charlotte is a village located outside of Rochester proper? Umm..no it isn't. It IS a part of Rochester city proper. And if anybody living in Charlotte doesn't realize this, then they didn't do their research before becoming a homeowner.

As far as decrepit, have you seen Charlotte before? Up until the city started putting money back into the area, it was a disaster. The community has done nothing to keep it respectable. Where has everybody been demanding any sort of development in the area? But as soon as any plans are put forth, then they come out in full force opposing it. I'm not stupid and I hope others aren't falling for this tactic. The reason is because they don't want any development period in the area. They want to keep it as unattractive as possible to keep all the "outsiders" out of the area.

And have you seen the proposals? Millionaires don't want to be next to "market based" housing? You realize the lowest tier that is being proposed for this "market based" housing is targeting single people making 56,000 or couples making over 60,000. I didn't realize "millionaires" were so opposed to living around those low-lifes making only 56 grand.

And the end for Charlotte? Could you possibly be more dramatic about it? These are exactly the tactics being used by those opposing the development. Make it seem like nobody else belongs in the community besides those living there currently, and then exaggerate about how these development projects are going to "destroy" the area.

It's very important that Rochester develop this area for the longer term viability of the entire city and area. I'm so tired of everybody wanting their cake and to eat it too. Where they themselves want to move into or control areas that are urban based, and then kick and scream when other development projects pop up across the street from them.
I second this. Why is the Charlotte community so resistant to development? Is a little bit of vibrancy that scary? These must be the same people who complain about how there isn't enough parking downtown...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
There already are 2 high rise buildings in Charlotte. Why is this so strange in a metro of 1.1 million people?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Is a little bit of vibrancy that scary?
It definitely shouldn't be, considering vibrancy doesn't exist within a 200 mile radius. It should be welcomed.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,132 times
I think the waterfront is already on life support. It needs help. But not this kind of help.

The high rises are ugly and will be built on 2.8 acres. That is potentially 1000 people or more living on 2.8 acres. Manhattan doesn't even cram that many people on 2.8 acres.
To think people will spend that kind of money ($200,000 for 800 square feet-up to 1.2 million for 2500 sq foot- really?) to live in such close quarters is a stretch. Especially considering how polluted the water is and the high crime rate. Drugs, fights, rowdy kids, Charlotte has it all.

The city should have made the effort to first clean up the water and crime in the area, then thought about adding some mixed use development. They are doing it backwards. Years from now, it will likely end up sitting empty, or be turned into low income housing. At that point, the politicians and developers who decided this would be a great idea will be long gone and off the hook.

So I think they should either go back to the drawing board, or leave it alone.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokay View Post
I think the waterfront is already on life support. It needs help. But not this kind of help.

The high rises are ugly and will be built on 2.8 acres. That is potentially 1000 people or more living on 2.8 acres. Manhattan doesn't even cram that many people on 2.8 acres.
To think people will spend that kind of money ($200,000 for 800 square feet-up to 1.2 million for 2500 sq foot- really?) to live in such close quarters is a stretch. Especially considering how polluted the water is and the high crime rate. Drugs, fights, rowdy kids, Charlotte has it all.

The city should have made the effort to first clean up the water and crime in the area, then thought about adding some mixed use development. They are doing it backwards. Years from now, it will likely end up sitting empty, or be turned into low income housing. At that point, the politicians and developers who decided this would be a great idea will be long gone and off the hook.

So I think they should either go back to the drawing board, or leave it alone.
You haven't seen what the high rises will look like because they haven't architecturally been designed yet. Those "drawings" are NOT the designs for them. The developer has already said such many times already and that they would design them with the community in mind and get the final approval.

Secondly, clean up the water? What is the city going to do? Clean all of Lake Ontario? Every single town or city on Lake Ontario has similar issues.

And as I've said before, take a trip up the QEW...look at all the 300 grand condos lining the lake in Canada looking like they are in an industrial park. At least Canada's leaders aren't afraid to take risks and develop without trying to appease every complainer out there.

As for crime, you want to know how you clean up crime? You get a thousand people living in a small area that actually care about where they live. It's the same reason the crime is low in the Park Ave. or other well manicured areas of the city. Ask yourself why Charlotte has been allowed to deteriorate so much just inviting that crime in? Where have all the citizens been demanding development and upkeep?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
db, you continue to prove you have no idea what you're talking about. Go try to tell Hilton, Hamlin, Webster, Sodus, etc that they have water problems that come anywhere close to the problems Charlotte has, and you'll be laughed out of the state. Hell, the water isn't even that bad after going a half mile east or west of the pier and just gets cleaner the further away you get.

As far as the designs go, if you really think the developers are going to keep the needs and wants of the community in mind and NOT go for those BS highrise plans, you're delusional at best. Why else would they bring such a grandiose plan to the table to begin with?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

I hate Rochester just much as the next intelligent person, but db is correct when he says there is nothing to be done. Water IS better away from Charlotte, because it is away from the Genesee River. The river contaminates the Lake, just as well as local ground water swells in the area; any third grader knows this. There is not much you can do about this unless you had $400 million to filter the ground water from Parma to Webster.

If you don't like that answer. MOVE.

Charlotte was always nice in theory, but terrible in practice. It was still a dump, still wasn't the tourist attraction it could have been. I've mentioned here before that I thought the city should make the "boardwalk" into an Atlantic City-like venture, with lake-side shops and board vendors. I was ignored. Meh. Put up any high rise you want at this point. It won't make people flock to Rochester anymore. That ship has sailed with absolutely moronic government, starting with Johnson and ending with whomever is mayor 40 years from now.

I swear on a crate of bibles, I could change that city around, but it's a lost cause. Nor do I feel that charitable. It's sad.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
db, you continue to prove you have no idea what you're talking about. Go try to tell Hilton, Hamlin, Webster, Sodus, etc that they have water problems that come anywhere close to the problems Charlotte has, and you'll be laughed out of the state. Hell, the water isn't even that bad after going a half mile east or west of the pier and just gets cleaner the further away you get.

As far as the designs go, if you really think the developers are going to keep the needs and wants of the community in mind and NOT go for those BS highrise plans, you're delusional at best. Why else would they bring such a grandiose plan to the table to begin with?
Again...as Rory points out...the water CAN"T BE CLEANED. Should the city use black voodoo magic to clean it? Just because you can type words on a computer doesn't mean it's actually in reality possible to do.

What are the needs and wants of the community? More parking lots and dead looking areas that the "community" seems completely content with right now? I'll say it again. The "community" doesn't want anybody up there. Have you ever heard of the "secret sidewalk"? If not let me clue you in. It's probably the most beautiful part of Charlotte. It's a sidewalk that meanders along the lakeshore behind about a half mile of houses. It's utterly beautiful. Guess what the "community" wanted? They wanted that PUBLIC sidewalk shut off from the public. They even sued to get it closed and made private. So I'm sorry, but I take any suggestions from the "community" with a big giant grain of salt based on their past actions.

If anybody is curious it's here:
RochesterSubway.com : Off the Beaten Path: Rochester’s Beach Avenue

But expect to get dart eyes thrown your way if you do walk the sidewalk as I do every time I walk it. The neighbors don't want you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area