Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2023, 03:29 PM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Most of the suburban property had been leveled by the time it was stopped. It still should have been built, but either a tunnel or an improved street.
Indeed. I remember, from my high school days in the mid-late 1960s, that a wide swath of land that shadowed South Clinton Ave, had been leveled for I390's construction. Several older mansions along Highland Ave were torn down, before the project was stopped. Strangely enough, nothing new has been built on that land, in the ensuing 50 years, although south of Westfall Rd, 3-4 medical complexes were built......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 05:01 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Not in the same neighborhood, but close by, is this example in an area getting attention. To me, this area needs attention more than Marketview Heights. And so many other neighborhoods that "need attention" too. The city can't do everything, which is just one more reason why jobs should be at the top of every city administrators "to do list", so people can do things on their own.
Here's the link
https://www.democratandchronicle.com...w/70500478007/

Old 08-10-2023, 06:49 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I thought about putting that article in the thread, but yes, I agree.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:21 AM

Rochester begins preliminary design/engineering for Inner Loop North transformation: https://rbj.net/2023/10/06/rochester...ransformation/

"Preliminary design and engineering work has begun on the Inner Loop North Transformation Project, a process deemed vital by the city of Rochester in reconnecting neighborhoods to downtown.

Transformation of the Inner Loop East from a sub-grade highway to residential, business and green space was completed in recent years. Now the city is taking aim at the 1.5 mile stretch on the north side of downtown, which is about 2 1/2 times larger than the East side project.

The plan is to create an urban street network that better meets the needs of the community while creating approximately 22 acres for equitable redevelopment and green space.

Through a competitive Request For Proposals (RFP) process, the city selected Stantec to lead the team of engineering experts. An Inner Loop North Transformation Planning Study was completed in the fall of 2022, and now the concept developed out of that study — City Grid Restoration — must be implemented, city officials said.

“To reclaim prime real estate in the heart of Rochester and apply the best practices of city planning with a focus on equity, sustainability and the reconnection of our neighborhoods and residents is inspiring,†Mayor Malik Evans said in a news release.

The state has committed $100 million toward the project, and the New York State Department of Transportation is funding the design.

“Thanks to Gov. Kathy Hochul, we have the funds to right some of the wrongs of our past and build a new future filled with opportunities and hope for everyone,†Evans said.

The Inner Loop was built to address traffic congestion concerns in the 1950s and 1960s, but it has become an under-utilized roadway that serves as a moat-like barrier.

The Inner Loop East Project filled in the easternmost segment of the highway, replacing it with an urban street that includes dedicated pedestrian and bicycle space. Nearly six acres of land was reclaimed and the $21 million in public funds used for the projected was the catalyst for $400 million in private development.

That includes the creation of 500-plus housing units, 60 percent of which are for residents earning less than the region’s median income."

Old 10-06-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester begins preliminary design/engineering for Inner Loop North transformation: https://rbj.net/2023/10/06/rochester...ransformation/

The Inner Loop was built to address traffic congestion concerns in the 1950s and 1960s, but it has become an under-utilized roadway that serves as a moat-like barrier.

Insane! For anyone who lives on the east side of the city, who wants to access 490 west, that portion of the Inner Loop is a direct link to 490. So, if it's filled in, what are commuters going to have to do, in order to access 490, use the "urban street network", and spend 10 minutes, or more, to complete a trip that now takes about a minute and a half??? Sure makes a lot of sense, to me............not!!

Old 10-06-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

Insane! For anyone who lives on the east side of the city, who wants to access 490 west, that portion of the Inner Loop is a direct link to 490. So, if it's filled in, what are commuters going to have to do, in order to access 490, use the "urban street network", and spend 10 minutes, or more, to complete a trip that now takes about a minute and a half??? Sure makes a lot of sense, to me............not!!
This is just a way to get financing for a project that makes little sense. I'm just glad that I'm not one of the people that is used in that manor.

What is really amazing is that after 60 years, a thriving neighborhood has not emerged ANYWHERE, to replace what was "taken away". Somehow, I guess, it must be sacred land under the Inner Loop, and everything will be better when that land is returned.

Old 10-06-2023, 03:24 PM

^I believe the point is for the city to infill directly next to Downtown, which is getting development and having it spread into adjacent neighborhoods. In turn, that is likely one of the reasons for the loop removal.

It also looks like people can still take 490 Westbound via Winton and Culver roads, as well as Monroe Avenue in the city.

Keep in mind that this is the northern portion of the loop and there has been development in the portion that has been removed thus far.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
This is just a way to get financing for a project that makes little sense. I'm just glad that I'm not one of the people that is used in that manor.

What is really amazing is that after 60 years, a thriving neighborhood has not emerged ANYWHERE, to replace what was "taken away". Somehow, I guess, it must be sacred land under the Inner Loop, and everything will be better when that land is returned.
Bingo!!!!

All sorts of "bellyaching" about neighborhoods being ruined, when in reality, about 75% of the land area that the Inner Loop occupied, was right on the fringe of the downtown "business district", meaning that most of the buildings that were demolished/disrupted, were commercial buildings. What the "whiners" have overlooked, is that in between the Loop, and the "neighborhoods" that were supposedly so disrupted, the New York Central's main railroad line ran east/west, right through the heart of the city, and it was in place long before the Loop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I believe the point is for the city to infill directly next to Downtown, which is getting development and having it spread into adjacent neighborhoods. In turn, that is likely one of the reasons for the loop removal.

It also looks like people can still take 490 Westbound via Winton and Culver roads, as well as Monroe Avenue in the city.

Keep in mind that this is the northern portion of the loop and there has been development in the portion that has been removed thus far.
Sure, it is possible to use the Winton/Culver route....HOWEVER, if you live in the northeast section of the city, and/or the southeast portion of East Irondequoit, as I once did, and need to get to 490 west, as I once did, on a daily basis, the Culver/Winton route is a LOT longer and more congested, as the straight shot through the city, via Webster Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue to Union Street is/was.

It's very easy for the "civil engineers" to state that these other routes exist, when they don't have to use them, themselves, and endure the inconvenience...........

Old 10-07-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Bingo!!!!

All sorts of "bellyaching" about neighborhoods being ruined, when in reality, about 75% of the land area that the Inner Loop occupied, was right on the fringe of the downtown "business district", meaning that most of the buildings that were demolished/disrupted, were commercial buildings. What the "whiners" have overlooked, is that in between the Loop, and the "neighborhoods" that were supposedly so disrupted, the New York Central's main railroad line ran east/west, right through the heart of the city, and it was in place long before the Loop!!

And watch what happens after taxpayers pay for the new roads. ALL of the development will be taxpayer funded as well, as there is NO need for it. There has been no development in any city neighborhoods other than the SE, where owners pay for development.

Old 10-07-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Bingo!!!!

Sure, it is possible to use the Winton/Culver route....HOWEVER, if you live in the northeast section of the city, and/or the southeast portion of East Irondequoit, as I once did, and need to get to 490 west, as I once did, on a daily basis, the Culver/Winton route is a LOT longer and more congested, as the straight shot through the city, via Webster Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue to Union Street is/was.

It's very easy for the "civil engineers" to state that these other routes exist, when they don't have to use them, themselves, and endure the inconvenience...........
Couldn't you take Route 104 from that area of town/Irondequoit to go westbound? of course it will depend on where you are going on the other side of town, but it is an option.

I also think that the grid could support more drivers that may take surface streets, as people would likely take multiple options to get across town. I say that as someone that could take I-81 to commute to work, but have found out that taking a surface route is just as fast, if not slightly faster into work.

As for development, it would likely be a mix of public/private development, similar to what has taken place in the already removed portion of the loop.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-07-2023 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area