Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles View Post
When it bypassed Rochester, Henrietta wasn't considered a suburb. Actually, I think the term suburb didn't quite exist then!
I found out a while ago, much to my surprise, that the word suburb is very old.

It is even in the Old Testament (Numbers 35:2) - "... ye shall give also unto the Levites suburbs for the cities round about them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM

31 posts, read 73,983 times
Default That's because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
This is a good point. The way I-90 bounces through Cleveland is ridiculous. And don't try to use it as way to get through Chicago.
The later a highway was built, the farther they got away from the original "Autobahn" concept.

And the interstates were built through cities since it solved many problems at once...

...cheaper since Federal money built local limited access feeders, ramps, and mainlines,

...closer, giving voters the feeling they got something of value for the neighborhoods they gave up,

...supposed economic benefits due to entering and exiting traffic (something nobody wants anymore), etc.

You can see how the science and engineering of building a transportation "system" was soon overridden by political and economic interests., regardless of the impact on actually moving frieght and people great distances.

Oh well.

Too bad Lonsberry keeps getting on WHAM and jacking his jaws about interstates having an exit every mile.

I've driven real interstates where limited access was enforced, like the Thruway, and others that were built to replace local two lane (dirt) roads with exits too close, sometimes in the middle of nowhere, and I can predict where the accidents will occur.........no brainer.

Besides, what's the difference if you drive ten or fifteen miles alongside the same road you are about to enter? Does anyone think ramps, bridges, signage, (sometimes toll booths) come for nothing, are maintained for nothing? These are the kinds of long-term decisions which have been made which directly affect operating budgets for generations!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
As others have stated, I-90 is a city bypass highway for getting across the state.

It's not a mystery why there's no tolls on "the 90" in Buffalo (or Cheektowaga, rather--no, it doesn't run through the city). This is because it's used for commuting (traffic backs up every morning and evening around the blue water tower, the beginning of 290).

I think if I-90 was used by a plurality of Rochester commuters they'd have a good chance of lobbying for the removal of tolls. But it's not.
I think the Thruway originally DID have tolls through the stretch in Cheektowaga, and well as "the Niagara Section" that went up to NF. I'm guessing the uburban auto commuters lobbied to have the tolls removed.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I found out a while ago, much to my surprise, that the word suburb is very old.

It is even in the Old Testament (Numbers 35:2) - "... ye shall give also unto the Levites suburbs for the cities round about them."
It is an old word, but I think it may have been used differently in the past. I remember when my cousins moved out of the city of Rochester in the 1960s to Chili (a quintessential suburb!). They called it "the country"! Don't know if that was just a regional thing, or just what termonology peopl used back then.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The later a highway was built, the farther they got away from the original "Autobahn" concept.

And the interstates were built through cities since it solved many problems at once...

...cheaper since Federal money built local limited access feeders, ramps, and mainlines,

...closer, giving voters the feeling they got something of value for the neighborhoods they gave up,

...supposed economic benefits due to entering and exiting traffic (something nobody wants anymore), etc.

You can see how the science and engineering of building a transportation "system" was soon overridden by political and economic interests., regardless of the impact on actually moving frieght and people great distances.

Oh well.

Too bad Lonsberry keeps getting on WHAM and jacking his jaws about interstates having an exit every mile.

I've driven real interstates where limited access was enforced, like the Thruway, and others that were built to replace local two lane (dirt) roads with exits too close, sometimes in the middle of nowhere, and I can predict where the accidents will occur.........no brainer.

Besides, what's the difference if you drive ten or fifteen miles alongside the same road you are about to enter? Does anyone think ramps, bridges, signage, (sometimes toll booths) come for nothing, are maintained for nothing? These are the kinds of long-term decisions which have been made which directly affect operating budgets for generations!
The sad thing about 490 (aka the Eastern Expressway) is that it overlaid the city subway (which overlaid the Erie Canal). Now cities are spending millions building what Rochester casually threw away in the 1950s.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 37,255 times
Quote:
Any of you Rochesterians remember when the Thruway entrance/exit was on West Henrietta Road (NY15)? .
Remember? Yes. In fact drive by that spot right now and you can still see where the entrance/exit was!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think the Thruway originally DID have tolls through the stretch in Cheektowaga, and well as "the Niagara Section" that went up to NF. I'm guessing the uburban auto commuters lobbied to have the tolls removed.
Do you remember there being tolls along I-90 through Cheektowaga? I don't, but it could have been before my time. You're right that there were tolls at Ogden St and Breckenridge on the 190. They were removed 5 years ago. But as far as I know there was never a toll between Blasdell and Williamsville on the Thruway.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The sad thing about 490 (aka the Eastern Expressway) is that it overlaid the city subway (which overlaid the Erie Canal). Now cities are spending millions building what Rochester casually threw away in the 1950s.
And what nobody wanted back in the 20's. It was the Fast Ferry of its day.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
And what nobody wanted back in the 20's. It was the Fast Ferry of its day.
You kidding? The subway was designed to take the interurban railway cars off the city streets, and it did just that (until the interurbans went bust in the 30s). At the time, it was a win-win for both the railroads and the automobile interests.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM

528 posts, read 1,185,514 times
I'll make the argument that the interstate highway system may have done more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area