Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 09:42 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That's good to hear, I guess. It's good to think that somehow or other, Rochester's downtown area could experience a serious reinvigoration. (I still think that it was a shame that Midtown Plaza was torn down. I have a number of memories from there.....)
Speaking of the bolded place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1GvAOOr4Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 11:31 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
That's good to hear, I guess. It's good to think that somehow or other, Rochester's downtown area could experience a serious reinvigoration. (I still think that it was a shame that Midtown Plaza was torn down. I have a number of memories from there.....)
At the time, Paetec was proposing what I believe was to be the tallest building in upstate

Old 02-24-2022, 12:07 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Speaking of the bolded place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1GvAOOr4Q
What a "blast from the past"!!

Since I'm in a little bit of a sarcastic mood, today, I can't help myself and comment that the video mentioned the Inner Loop, and somehow or other, it was said to be a positive factor, not a "racist roadway", as it is today......

Old 02-24-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
What a "blast from the past"!!

Since I'm in a little bit of a sarcastic mood, today, I can't help myself and comment that the video mentioned the Inner Loop, and somehow or other, it was said to be a positive factor, not a "racist roadway", as it is today......
I believe it WAS a positive factor. Remember, it was never completed on the eastern end. Had that happened, who knows if they would have filled it in. I personally believed they should have kept it, but built over it, having the same final result, but leaving the "basement" available for parking, utilities, deliveries and possibly some type of transportation.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:16 PM

For good, or bad, Rochester is the only NYS city on this list. I would say this is a good problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...=U531#image=14

Old 02-24-2022, 05:47 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
^This list that includes Rochester, among other Upstate cities such as Niagara Falls, Elmira and Jamestown, likely has something to do with it to some degree: https://247wallst.com/special-report...-buy-a-home/2/

Old 02-24-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This list that includes Rochester, among other Upstate cities such as Niagara Falls, Elmira and Jamestown, likely has something to do with it to some degree: https://247wallst.com/special-report...-buy-a-home/2/
This is just the city proper, I'm sure, but I would say the data is old.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I believe it WAS a positive factor. Remember, it was never completed on the eastern end. Had that happened, who knows if they would have filled it in. I personally believed they should have kept it, but built over it, having the same final result, but leaving the "basement" available for parking, utilities, deliveries and possibly some type of transportation.
Not a bad idea. Where were you when they needed you??

Actually, the eastern end of the Inner Loop was more or less completed, it's just that it used a couple of "regular" roads to make it's final connections, so it didn't stand out as being part of the Loop. It's been quite a while since I've been in that area, but IIRC, if you were travelling west on the "loop", and crossed over the river, you came to a "Y".

The right leg of the "Y" took you directly on to 490 West, and the left leg took you on somewhat of a circuitous route, first over 490, then on to the Troup-Howell bridge, over the river, again, and if you stayed to the right, you faced another "Y", which took you either to Clinton Ave south/ Mt. Hope Avenue, or back to Broadway, Monroe Avenue, then Union Street, and then to the Loop....or something like that.

Quote:
This is just the city proper, I'm sure, but I would say the data is old.
It's true, the Rochester area is somewhat "economical" to buy the house, but the property taxes are fairly high, so in a sense, it evens out.....

Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Where were you when they needed you??

Actually, the eastern end of the Inner Loop was more or less completed, it's just that it used a couple of "regular" roads to make it's final connections, so it didn't stand out as being part of the Loop. It's been quite a while since I've been in that area, but IIRC, if you were travelling west on the "loop", and crossed over the river, you came to a "Y".

The right leg of the "Y" took you directly on to 490 West, and the left leg took you on somewhat of a circuitous route, first over 490, then on to the Troup-Howell bridge, over the river, again, and if you stayed to the right, you faced another "Y", which took you either to Clinton Ave south/ Mt. Hope Avenue, or back to Broadway, Monroe Avenue, then Union Street, and then to the Loop....or something like that.

It's true, the Rochester area is somewhat "economical" to buy the house, but the property taxes are fairly high, so in a sense, it evens out.....
Get off at Goodman, drive about a mile on Broadway (residential street), was not completed. I believe it was to be finished when I 390 was completed. 47 still existed. So, we will never know what could have been.

I always thought, with some modifications, The Inner Loop would have been cool to host a Grande Prix style race.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Get off at Goodman, drive about a mile on Broadway (residential street), was not completed. I believe it was to be finished when I 390 was completed. 47 still existed. So, we will never know what could have been.

I always thought, with some modifications, The Inner Loop would have been cool to host a Grande Prix style race.
I agree, a lot of people never knew that 390 was supposed to continue due north, about 200 yards west of Clinton Avenue, and connect with 490, near the Goodman Street interchange. A LOT of property was purchased and levelled along the intended path, then everything hit the brakes.

I also thought that the Inner Loop would have made an excellent race track, except for the idea that it would have been "below grade" for the spectators. On one hand, it would have made for good viewing, but far too easy for "dirtbags" to toss crap onto the road surface, creating a dangerous situation for the racers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area