Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 10:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
I told my neighbor we are planning to shovel the driveway this winter instead of buying a snow-blower or hiring a plow service. She looked a little horrified and said "I think you'll regret it." The house we're renting does have a longer-than-average driveway, but my husband and I are both athletic and in good shape, so I think physically we should be fine shoveling. We are excited about actually getting out in the snow, so I was thinking of buying 2 really good snow shovels and it could be a fun outdoor activity for us... I also told my neighbor that shoveling will be like a rite of passage for me, my initiation into the "real winter club." She closed her eyes and shook her head.

I really don't want to spend the money on a snow-blower for now because we'll be (hopefully) buying a home next year, and who knows, maybe we'll end up in a place where a snow-blower is totally unnecessary like for example a condo or neighborhood with an hoa that covers plowing. I could be convinced to hire a plow service if you all tell me my neighbor is right and I am nuts to go the shovel route. Do any of you shovel? Or does everyone pretty much either have a blower or a plow service?
When we bought our house we shoveled the first year and trust me it gets old quick. Especially the hard packed stuff at the end of the driveway. Bought a cheap $450 Ariens blower for the following year and have used it ever since. All the people I work with hire a service and all's I ever hear is them complaining that, "the guy never showed up", "he did a crappy job", blah blah blah". For that reason I will never hire a service. I'd rather do it myself up to my standards.

The good thing about a blower is that if you end up not needing it you can just sell it. People are always looking to buy blowers around here. Honestly I really enjoying snowplowing my driveway. I look at it like mowing the grass, but snow lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 10:45 AM

224 posts, read 136,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
When we bought our house we shoveled the first year and trust me it gets old quick. Especially the hard packed stuff at the end of the driveway. Bought a cheap $450 Ariens blower for the following year and have used it ever since. All the people I work with hire a service and all's I ever hear is them complaining that, "the guy never showed up", "he did a crappy job", blah blah blah". For that reason I will never hire a service. I'd rather do it myself up to my standards.

The good thing about a blower is that if you end up not needing it you can just sell it. People are always looking to buy blowers around here. Honestly I really enjoying snowplowing my driveway. I look at it like mowing the grass, but snow lol.
Very helpful, thank you!

Old 08-26-2022, 11:25 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
^ gt87 is right Ariens snow blowers are great. Many people have a plow service and also
have a blower to clean up. One thing I like about having a snowblower is you can spread the snow around, instead of a large pile.

For comparison, "last year" plow guys were charging $20-25 per trip, or about $225 for the season. I'm sure it's much higher this year

Old 08-26-2022, 11:33 AM

224 posts, read 136,655 times
You guys are convincing me to go with the snowblower.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
You guys are convincing me to go with the snowblower.
You could always give shoveling a try for 1 season. Maybe by next season you'll have a better idea on where you'll be by then. But if you're fairly certain you'll be in an actual house with a driveway I would just go ahead and get a blower. I would recommend a single stage Ariens personally. A lot of people go with a 2-stage blower (much more expensive) but I think that's overkill for most residential driveways. Unless you have a really long driveway of course. To give you an idea my driveway is 2 cars deep and 2 cars wide with an extra spot along the side of the house that I could fit 2 more vehicles in and I manage just fine with my single stage blower, even with a foot or more of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area