Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 11:57 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
I walked around Schoen Place this past Wednesday mid-day and went back again with husband for an early dinner yesterday afternoon (Sunday) and both times the place was busy and bustling. It seems like there is barely enough parking - I can imagine at certain peak times finding a spot might be impossible.

I went shopping at Eastview Mall, very nice. I'm finding the fashion here kind of interesting. Both my husband and I feel like we need an entirely new wardrobe (after the past 16+ years living in FL...) It's nice here around Rochester I'm seeing a pretty wide range of styles.

So many places we want to explore around the area. We want to see Lake Ontario (maybe outdoor dining with a view of the water?) and also planning a day down in Canandaigua - probably the water temp is still too cold to swim but I was thinking of renting a canoe. Also want to check out Sonnenberg and Main St. In Rochester, I want to visit Mount Hope Cemetery. We did the tour of Susan B. Anthony home on a previous visit.

We are loving the restaurants here. Hoping to find a really good sushi place. Also still need to figure out a pizza spot - tried 2 so far and they were good but I bet we can find even better. I've been getting groceries from Wegmans but I have to tell you I'm really curious to try Tops to see how they compare.
There are a number of waterfront bars/ restaurants on Lake Ontario (actually the harbor) in the city. None have really good food, but OK. On the east side, there's Schooners and O'Laughlins. On the west side, with the beach and public pier, there's Pelican's Nest, Bill Gray's Tap Room, and a Sushi bar, California Rollin. Also in the Harbor District with much better food, Windjammers, Mr Dominics, Hose 22 and Whiskey River Saloon.

After your lunch or dinner, grab a frozen custard at Abbott's, and take a stroll on the pier into the lake. Or, you can walk along the river and enjoy the boats and wildlife. If you haven't noticed, there are a lot of walking/ bike trails in the region.

Unfortunately there is not shopping to be done, but I just remembered, there is a historic Lighthouse and residence that is open to visitors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 03:18 PM

224 posts, read 136,488 times
Didn't know about the pier or the lighthouse. I think that would be perfect to have a meal in that area and walk around. Thanks for the idea!

Old 06-20-2022, 04:22 PM

In our first 2 weeks of living here the weather has been all over the place. A few days have felt heavenly (like today), a few I've been in my winter clothes, and a couple I felt like I was back in FL. I'm certainly in no rush to get through summer but I do keep thinking how excited I am for colorful Fall leaves and then seeing all the evergreens in the snow over the winter.

We absolutely love the rolling hills around here. Especially as we've walked and driven around neighborhoods. It makes the homes look more special. And some of these inclines provide a great leg workout.

I am getting a kick out of the big families of geese! There was a group with tons of juveniles on the golf course this past Saturday and always when I pass by certain spots along the Erie Canal I see them too - today I was actually scared someone would hit them because the young ones were obviously about to cross the road and there was plenty of traffic...

One thing that has surprised me is the prevalence of lawn treatments here (pesticides, weed killer, etc.) It was very common in FL but for some reason I didn't expect it here. I see lots of the little signs on yards saying this property was just treated. And our landlord had people over here doing herbicide and insecticide at the house we're renting. Do people also do termite protection / prevention around here?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:11 PM

Watched the Republican governor candidates debate on Spectrum News - that was a good way to start getting more familiar with state issues, current topics, etc. I just saw that the Democrat candidates debated a few days ago so I'll watch that one on Youtube. I've tried listening to WHAM talk radio while driving but I never seem to catch any local shows - it's actually crazy how many commercials there are and the station seems to be almost all national shows. Looks like there is a local show on Rochester NPR called Connections, I'll give that a try.

Last edited by Heart NY; 06-20-2022 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-21-2022, 11:04 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Watched the Republican governor candidates debate on Spectrum News - that was a good way to start getting more familiar with state issues, current topics, etc. I just saw that the Democrat candidates debated a few days ago so I'll watch that one on Youtube. I've tried listening to WHAM talk radio while driving but I never seem to catch any local shows - it's actually crazy how many commercials there are and the station seems to be almost all national shows. Looks like there is a local show on Rochester NPR called Connections, I'll give that a try.
Are you looking for strictly political talk shows or others that may be community oriented as well?

Old 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you looking for strictly political talk shows or others that may be community oriented as well?
All of the above.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:20 AM

That Connections show had the Rochester mayor on today along with a couple city council members, so that was an interesting discussion for me to listen to. They talked about policing and housing in the city.

I have now watched the most recent Democrat governor primary debate and 2 Republican primary debates. I love this stuff.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:24 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
All of the above.
Well, this local urban format radio station has some podcasts of interviews with community members, including some local politicians: https://www.wdkx.com/podcasts/

It is many times the most listened to radio station in the market according to Nielsen ratings(and happens to be locally and black owned): https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb079

This low power urban station may also have some shows that you may be interested in tuning into: https://www.1009wxir.com/shows/
https://www.1009wxir.com/schedule/
This is an affiliated local TV station: https://www.rctvmediacenter.org/

This is another local low power radio station with some talk related shows: https://wayofm.org/shows/all

Another low power local radio station with shows: https://www.rochesterfreeradio.com/schedule/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2022 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2022, 05:51 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
All of the above.
A pretty good local station, I can't always receive as I'm in the far NW of the county. It is broadcast out of Avon. WYSL 1040 AM, 95.5FM. Many more local shows. Even the morning show is out of Pittsburg, but the host knows Buffalo and Rochester.

950AM is local sports talk, I believe

WHAM 1180 Has Bob Lonnsberry from 8 til noon. And most news on the hour is local

Old 06-22-2022, 10:04 AM

I will definitely check out the suggested radio stations, thanks!

I just watched the videos in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/roch...ster-area.html and kept seeing the amazing statues of Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass having tea! I don't know how I missed this when we did the tour of the Susan B. Anthony home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area