Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:54 PM

224 posts, read 136,488 times

Advertisements

I will add a few more questions.

Are power outages pretty infrequent around Rochester? Did you ever experience a prolonged outage in the winter and what was that like?

Can you think of any communities with underground power lines? I'll be interested to see if that's common or rare there. We have visited a few times before but I wasn't really paying attention to power lines on our trips there.

One thing I did notice on our visits is that there are quite a few stone houses in the area! I find them incredible and want to learn more about them. Know anyone who ever lived in one?

By the way ckhthankgod, that radio locator link is awesome - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 07:01 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
I will add a few more questions.

Are power outages pretty infrequent around Rochester? Did you ever experience a prolonged outage in the winter and what was that like?

Can you think of any communities with underground power lines? I'll be interested to see if that's common or rare there. We have visited a few times before but I wasn't really paying attention to power lines on our trips there.

One thing I did notice on our visits is that there are quite a few stone houses in the area! I find them incredible and want to learn more about them. Know anyone who ever lived in one?

By the way ckhthankgod, that radio locator link is awesome - thanks!
Power outages aren't to common, but then again, I have lost power 5 times this year. I know they are pushing going all electric, but the grid isn't equipped for it. Most suburban tracks have underground, but all the major lines are above ground. Perinton is mostly electric, so I believe there are more underground wires.

There are a lot of cobblestone houses in the Rochester area, mostly built by people who worked on building the Erie Canal. There are also many traditional stone houses around the East Ave (Roc) area, and Brighton.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Just curious OP, where in Florida are you moving from?

Old 06-04-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Just curious OP, where in Florida are you moving from?
We've been in FL for 16 years and have lived in 4 locations over those years - Gainesville, Melbourne Beach, Cape San Blas, and Rotonda West.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:44 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
We are really excited to be moving to the Rochester area. On our way up right now from FL. We'll be renting a house in Perinton and want to take some time to get to know the area before buying a home.

I'll post our various questions here in this thread. I will start with just a few and add more later.

Would you say the communities around the Rochester area are pretty stable and steady in terms of reputation, atmosphere, character, etc? Are there any particular communities that have changed rapidly or any that you feel are on a marked positive or negative trajectory?

Do you find that the presence of RIT influences the surrounding area? (My husband was thrilled to find Rochester has a Maker Space.)

Any local radio shows that cover local topics? I figure that could be one way for us to sort of get acclimated and informed about local issues, events, public figures, etc.
Here is a segment about the Maker Space: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...-always-wanted

Old 06-05-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a segment about the Maker Space: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...-always-wanted

Husband says it's pretty impressive that this Maker Space has a laser cutter. He is into woodworking, 3D printing, electronics, and general tinkering. I've been learning to sew / make clothes and looks like they do have some sewing machines which are likely much better than what I have, so I may try it out.

Here is the Rochester Makerspace website in case anyone wants to look at the equipment available there (go to the Facilities tab): https://rocmakers.org/

Old 06-05-2022, 08:29 AM

Oh my gosh now I just found this - Rochester also has a Hacker Space! https://www.interlockroc.org/#home

This type of thing is what I was getting at with my question about RIT's influence on the surrounding area. There must be a pretty robust and active geek community.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:08 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh now I just found this - Rochester also has a Hacker Space! https://www.interlockroc.org/#home

This type of thing is what I was getting at with my question about RIT's influence on the surrounding area. There must be a pretty robust and active geek community.
Rochester has one of the largest Fringe Festivals and I'm pretty sure there is a lot of maker activity involved.
https://rochesterfringe.com/
RIT has robotic competion and numerous open to the public science fairs and exhibits.

Yes RIT is a big part of Rochester. Nowhere as much as UR, but RIT is forging closer ties with Rochester Regional Health System, and also adding a music degree.

Rochester is a very creative city and has one of the highest rates of patents granted

Old 06-05-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Rochester has one of the largest Fringe Festivals and I'm pretty sure there is a lot of maker activity involved.
https://rochesterfringe.com/
RIT has robotic competion and numerous open to the public science fairs and exhibits.

Yes RIT is a big part of Rochester. Nowhere as much as UR, but RIT is forging closer ties with Rochester Regional Health System, and also adding a music degree.

Rochester is a very creative city and has one of the highest rates of patents granted
I bet my husband would get a kick out of the robotics competition. (He's not much of a TV watcher but he did recently discover that show Battle Bots...)

It's funny you mention patents because that happens to be another area of interest he has.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:15 PM

We arrived this afternoon. Getting Chinese food for dinner.

There's all these little white puff things floating in the air and landing on the grass. Pieces of dandelion puffs? Anyone else seeing it today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area